All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A couple of questions about safe foods...
      #187916 - 06/21/05 01:55 PM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

OK folks, after spending more time on this board I realized that I needed to be strict about the IBS diet until my symptoms clear up for a while. I bought the soy cheese and soy milk, cut out the red meat, coffee and egg yolks, and am now hoping to begin to improve my digestion at some point soon. The questions I don't see answers to so far on this site or in Heather's book are (and forgive me if they are here but I overlooked them):

1) What about goat milk products? Can I eat chevre or goat or buffalo milk yogurt?

2) I'm pregnant so I need to keep up on eating enough iron (I was advised by my doctor not to take the iron supplements due to my IBS which is primarily D but always alternates once I have treated the D). My last blood test showed very high iron levels, but I hadn't started this IBS diet really (I thought I had but I was kidding myself). Can anyone lead to me a site or just tell me which of the IBS foods contain high levels of iron? I know of quinoa, chickpeas, and fortified cereal. What about oatmeal? Otherwise I'm depending on IF veggies I suppose, since meat is out altogether.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A couple of questions about safe foods... new
      #187920 - 06/21/05 02:08 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

1 -- Goat's milk is still milk. You should cut out all animal milk and stick to soy/rice/oat/almond, etc.

2 -- No guesses with the iron beyond the IF veggies you suggested. Dark leafy greans are iron-rich, so find a safe way to incorporate them into your diet. You may find that you get a little C during your pregnancy (I don't speak from experience but that seems to be a common thing around here), so you might be able to get away with more and more IF. Use all the same tricks you normally would: Puree it in soups, bake it into breads, etc. I'm sure other people here with more pregnancy experience will have better ideas.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: A couple of questions about safe foods... new
      #187938 - 06/21/05 03:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Can you tolerate cooked or pureed veggies? I'm a strict vegetarian and I get TONS of iron through cooked green veggies- spinach, broccoli. I think some people can tolerate goat cheese but it's not recommended when you're just getting stable. And congrats on the pregnancy! I'm jealous!

Oatmeal's a great way of getting vitamins & minerals! new
      #188103 - 06/22/05 06:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's so nutritious. I had issues with proper oatmeal (made with flaked oats) but I do just fine with instant stuff (check you get one w/out dairy or additives).

Cooked spinach or baby greens are a great way to get some in. Be a bit careful with broccoli tho...it's notoriously troublesome.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2619 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review