All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating very small meals
      #187863 - 06/21/05 12:22 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

This is something that didn't "click" with me until the last few days. I'd always considered my portions "small" because even before starting this diet, I ate 5-6 "small" meals a day. But now I realize that, for me, my meals cannot total more than 250 calories each, depending on the density and "fullness" of the food. Since I started doing this a few days ago, in preparation for my trip on Thursday (!), I am feeling a zillion times better... and I thought I was feeling good before!

Please, I am urging anyone that struggles with bloating or is not completely stable to experiment with how much you can eat in one sitting. I am often still hungry when I finish eating, but I promise myself that I'll stop eating for an hour and then I can eat again. This has me eating almost every hour while I'm awake, but it's working! Good luck to all of you!

Love, Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating very small meals new
      #187865 - 06/21/05 12:25 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Good idea. I have found now that I am pregnant, I have to eat ALOT more often, but can only do a bit at a time. I have always eaten often, but now the bloating/fullness gets me. Thanks!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Whoa, that's not you in the picture? new
      #187868 - 06/21/05 12:28 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Am I out of it here or is the picture someone popular that I should know? My mouth dropped when you said you were pregnant and I see your picture!

I did a doubletake too! - nt new
      #187870 - 06/21/05 12:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Medical Miracle new
      #187874 - 06/21/05 12:37 PM
tnchawk

No...it's Russell Crowe. Sorry. That would be one for the books.

--------------------

Let's pretend it's my hubby!!!!!-nt- new
      #187875 - 06/21/05 12:38 PM
tnchawk

--------------------

Re: Medical Miracle new
      #187881 - 06/21/05 12:55 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Never noticed before that you are from New Ken. I have friends out by you! Spent every summer of my life in the Greensburg / Latrobe area and Ligonier as well. Small world.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#187887 - 06/21/05 01:10 PM
tnchawk

That is funny. I went to college at Saint Vincent in Latrobe. It is so pretty out there. Not very busy for jobs, but would be nice to retire to. It is a small world. My best friend from Vinnie's lives in NYC now up on 90th St. Amazing how we can all somehow be connected one way or another!

--------------------

#187893 - 06/21/05 01:33 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I know the campus! It really is gorgeous up there. I'd consider retiring out there myself. I haven't been to New Ken in forever, but a good friend of mine is a priest there now. I was just out in Greensburg for the past week for my uncle's funeral but at least it's a nice setting!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#187955 - 06/21/05 04:20 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I just started doing this for the last week, per my doctors orders after my upper GI. It's hard, for sure, but I am feeling better though. Not as much bloating, but I think my body is slowly adjusting to it. It's just hard though not eating, or wanting to eat more. I just have to think about how its benefiting me!

Jessica

#187978 - 06/21/05 05:25 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Yes! I agree that eating smaller amounts throughout the day dramatically helps with digestion/minimizes bloating!!!

Thanks for posting!

#187985 - 06/21/05 05:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Why overwhelm or stress out your metabolism? Mini-meals/snacks keeps the energy flow steady. You're positively right--you can always eat more later, or part 2/the sequel, whatever! I've been doing this for years. I find that if I eat a huge calorie load I literally have no energy, but if I graze, i.e. mini-meals/snacks, I'm an energizer bunny! Maybe it's because your bod is less taxed by metabolizing and therefore has more energy to readily expend. Besides, I full pretty quickly. It's bizarre in this generally super-size me corner of the Universe, to execise portion control and in doing so enjoy a bloat-free day! I like the term, DIM SUM; it means small or little bites. Less is more and you can have more or something else later!

Elizabeth new
      #188049 - 06/21/05 11:34 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I do try to do this but I'd definitely like to do it more. Most of my meals are around 400 cals with frequent snacks between - but very often those large meals leave me feeling over-full and bloated.

Elizabeth, I'd be interested in hearing some examples of some of your 250 calorie meals. Also, do you often make a 'regular sized' meal and eat half now and half a few hours later?

Thanks so much, and, again, have fun on your trip!

#188084 - 06/22/05 05:14 AM
tnchawk

I just can't get over what a small world we live in sometimes. Where is your friend a priest at? I may have heard of him. Sorry to hear about your uncle.

--------------------

Bump for Elizabeth -nt- new
      #190132 - 06/29/05 09:06 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sometimes I eat 150 cals at a meal and even less and I... new
      #190223 - 06/29/05 12:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

still find it's too much Good to know I'm not alone. great post Elizabeth!

P.S. I would also like some of your 250 cal meals!

I eat 2oz. dried brown rice pasta with some sauce and it comes to about 250 cals maybe a drop more (takes me a while unless I am bingeing). I also eat papaya with a bit of honey and GF cereal.

Can't wait to hear from you E!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Retrograde & Rutchie new
      #190260 - 06/29/05 01:24 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

HI ladies! Sorry I didn't see this post!

Sometimes I eat less than 250 calories at a "meal" but here's some examples:

Turkey sandwich (3-3.5 oz turkey breast, 1 slice soy provolone, 2 slices bread) - 250 cal

French toast (2 slices bread dipped in 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup lite soymilk, 1 T brown sugar & cinnamon) topped with 1/8 cup reduced cal syrup - ~160 cal, so I could eat it with applesauce or something else

packet oatmeal + 1/4 cup oats + 1 cup lite soymilk - ~275 cal

but most of the time, I just eat leftovers (pasta with chicken or some kind of casserole). I'm a freak, but I weigh the pan before I add all the ingredients, then weigh it again with everything in it and write down the weight of the ingredients. Then I add up all the ingredients and enter the entire recipe's calories into FitDay. Then when I want to eat something, I weigh the bowl I'm going to eat it out of then weigh it with the food inside it, then subtract the former from the latter and enter it in FitDay, which gives me the accurate calories/fat/protein/carbs for that unique portion. After a few days of eating the same thing, I can tell how much I can fill the bowl by eye-ing it.

Also, I have been obsessed with cereal lately. I've been eating a lot of corn flakes with lite soymilk, which don't seem to bother my tummy at all. I usually eat a piece of ff bread with it, so 1 1/3 cups cornflakes with 1/2 cup lite soymilk and piece of ff bread ~ 210 cal

I have tons more "meals" but I can't think of any right now, so I'll post again later when I remember!

Love you girls!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 754 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1999

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review