All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Great GI recommended snack for constipation - some weight loss
      #187735 - 06/21/05 08:29 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Hi all. I saw a new (3rd GI) a couple of weeks ago. One of the things she suggested was that I start to eat a handful of dates, figs, raisins, 1/2 cup daily of Fiber One (General Mills) cereal, and 8 8 oz. glasses of water a day. Of course, if you drink tea or coffe, you can also count that as water. A 1/2 cup of Fiber One equals 12 grams of fiber. Since I've been doing this, it's keeping me regular more often without any struggles or feelings of constipation. I hate figs and dates but like she said, it's better than medicine and I'm actually getting used to it. Xanax has a tendancy to slow down the digestive tract. I started using the above and making a Trail Mix out of it and it's pretty good that way and easier to eat. I incorporated a small handfull of M&M's and slivered almonds and it turns out to be a whole meal. That's what I eat for breakfast and it's very nutritious.

I have been working out since January but this added diet plan has helped me continued to show signs of losing weight. It's a great way to get fruit and fiber into your diet and it's also high in Potassium.

Just thought I would throw that in for any IBS'ers who suffer primarily with "C" like I do. I found the figs and dates in the produce section of the store that are in zip lock bags. I cut and slice them before putting them into the cereal.

I hope some of you might find this helpful. She said that if I eat like this, I won't have to rely on supplemental fiber.

Heidi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Great GI recommended snack for constipation - some weight loss new
      #187834 - 06/21/05 11:33 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

thanks for the tip. I might try it sometime.

Shelley
IBS-C

Whoa! new
      #187847 - 06/21/05 12:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Please note Fiber one and dried fruit are extremely high in INSOLUBLE fiber- the kind that should be eaten carefully and only with soluble fiber base!!! The stimulants and irritants in this snack are through the roof, especially when fat/chocolate is added to it not to mention coffee! Please see Heather's information pages on this site to see why this is dangerous. Also please read Heather's newsletters last time and this time (today's) to learn more about C and how to treat it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Fiber One Cereal also contains Nutra-Sweet new
      #187852 - 06/21/05 12:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So your getting a double whammy here!

I am getting cramps just thinking about it -nt new
      #187859 - 06/21/05 12:18 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Nuts! - nt new
      #187862 - 06/21/05 12:21 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Glad you found something that helps! new
      #187872 - 06/21/05 12:33 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I know some folks can't tolerate the IF in this particular suggestion, but some of us can tolerate quite a bit of IF easily. I'm glad it works so well for you! I might try it with my son. He really doesn't like the Acacia.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I seem to need a lot of IF in the morning, so I might be able to do this, in small quantity. nt new
      #187877 - 06/21/05 12:46 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Re: Fiber One Cereal also contains Nutra-Sweet new
      #188031 - 06/21/05 08:45 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Yes, the ingredients state Aspartame but it's hard to find a good cereal that doesn't have either sugar or imitation sugar. The point is that it is so high in fiber (1/2 the daily requirement) and with the fruit - well, they always tell you to increase your fruits and veggies. I haven't had a reaction to it and it's been almost 3 weeks. So far, so good.

Heidi

but that is completely opposite of everything Heather says on this site new
      #188407 - 06/22/05 04:55 PM
Little Minnie

Please read about her guidelines for IBS (as you are posting here) starting here. It is for you own good.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1401

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review