All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
PMS and IBS when does it start?
      #187494 - 06/20/05 01:09 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

I know that we've determined that even some of the most stable people around have issues around that time of the month. I was told that even women without IBS sometimes have some GI upsets from hormones. My question is, when do these symptoms start for you? How long before your period comes do your symptoms get worse? Mine sometimes pick up 2 weeks before I start. I know that's weird but I am almost sure it's hormonal because I have other symptoms with it.
I know it can be a big IBS trigger, I just wanted to know how long it lasts for the normal person.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: PMS and IBS when does it start? new
      #187521 - 06/20/05 01:51 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

i take the pill, and i start having worse symptoms from a week before i finish my pack (sometimes later) till a few days after i start my new pack. has anyone considered taking something like seasonale so that you only get hormone related flareups 4 times/year? i wonder if that would work...

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

Mine varies.... new
      #187522 - 06/20/05 01:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Sometimes it's a week before my period starts... sometimes it's as late as the week AFTER my period's over with! For me, the worst part is that it's completely unpredictable - every month it's different. But thankfully it never lasts more than a few days.

Re: Mine varies.... new
      #187538 - 06/20/05 03:05 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

i usually get bad 2 days before until the second last day of my period

--------------------
S.

#187549 - 06/20/05 03:39 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

this has been discussed before, so you should do a search. but, the week before my period starts my symptoms go away and I can pretty much eat whatever I want. then, when my period actually starts, like the first two days, with the heaviest flow are the days that my IBS-D is most upset. And just so you know, I take birth control pills which is great, because I plan things, such as vacations, etc. around when I know my most stable times of the month will be.

#187606 - 06/20/05 05:33 PM
mandersm1

Reged: 06/13/05

I may ask my doctor about the seasonale, last month with my period I ended up with an IBS flare up so bad I ended up in the hospital. I've felt a bit iffy this month but nothing major, watching what I eat better this month.

AAAAGES..... new
      #187630 - 06/20/05 06:40 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Most of the time it's about 8 or 9 days but sometimes, yep, up to 2 weeks ahead of it arriving. It also depends if I'm going to be late (my cycle is totally messed up ). The later I am the longer the pms ibs. It normally starts with a bit of C, then a bit of bottom burning D, then about 3 days before my period arrives I get an explosive gastro attack for a few hours followed by 3 days of D, D during and then finally back to normal about 3 or 4 days after my period has finished. Makes for feeling rotten almost 3 weeks out of every 4 Sorry bout all the frowns, it makes me a grumpy bum

--------------------
Amy

#187636 - 06/20/05 06:52 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Same symptoms here. I take the pill to alleviate PMDD and usually dn't get a period-just some spotting.

My IBS flares up the week I am off the pill through the first few days of the new pack. This month was hell-(oops-sorry).

PMDD and IBS are both serotonin connected-I am convinced hormones impact all this too.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Mine's 2 weeks ahead, like clockwork. new
      #187670 - 06/20/05 09:32 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I've always been slightly cranky at ovulation time, and then am almost giddy when AF comes. This is the first AF(hold my breath, it's only day 1) that hasn't hurt, in my LIFE.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Well I guess! new
      #187671 - 06/20/05 09:34 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Yikes...at least my D is usually one week per month. now I'm going to watch and see if my D is hormonal! Never even thought of it.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

My IBS usually bothers me for about a week before.... new
      #187701 - 06/21/05 07:00 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My hormones are really messed up right now. In fact, I've had 2 periods this month. UGH... So my IBS-C has been bad. Way more cramping this month.

Going to the doc in a few days for my yearly pap, so hopefully we can solve this hormone problem too.

#187814 - 06/21/05 10:36 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

PMS which triggers IBS symptoms start about two to four days before my actual period. The symptoms last into the first two days of my period, and then I'm fine except for major cramping. Without fail, I'll have an attack on the last day of my period, so now I take an Immodium or two that morning. I'm on the pill, which I like because it just makes the PMS and my period more predictable and regular.

#188051 - 06/21/05 11:52 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm on the pill too - well, the patch - so I know exactly when my period is going to come. Usually, IBS-wise, I start feeling a little 'off' a few days before. And then, literally, the moment I start bleeding always coincides with a D attack. Oh yeah, that's the most fun time of the month for me! The D usually lasts a few days if I'm extra-good with the diet and eat lots of SF, longer if I'm a little lax. If I eat lots of SF before and take an immodium that morning I can usually lessen the severity of it, but I have yet to be able to prevent that lovely monthly attack

Re: Mine varies.... new
      #188129 - 06/22/05 07:04 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I would get it the day of. The minute I got my period, I would have D for half of the day. Ever since,I cut out dairy 8 months ago, I haven't really gotten it. Every other month or so, it happens. Hopefully, I wouldn't ever get it back!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

AF? new
      #188382 - 06/22/05 02:54 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I know that "F" is for Fairy, but I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what the "A" could be for....

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: AF? new
      #188383 - 06/22/05 03:03 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

aunt flo.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2092 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review