All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potatoe queery--the sequel!
      #187189 - 06/18/05 07:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Recently, I had posted re: potatoes and adverse reactions due to an allergy attack. Firstly, I am nearly recovered from the attack. Secondly, I want to defend the spud as a safe food. It is not a safe food for me, personally, however I do not wish to influence anyone who enjoys them as safe foods. I am allergic to nightshade foods, i.e. tomatoe, eggplant, peppers, and potatoe. Of the above, I have the least reaction to potatoe. The compound which triggers my allergic reactions is called solanine. Incidentally, solanine is also in nicotine. What I experienced was the dermal and gi effect of eating a potatoe--it was like eating cigarettes! for me--with a nightshade allergy. The skin irritation--itchiness, hives, eczema--is significantly less intense and the redness is nearly gone. Ultimatlely, I just want to appologize to anyone who unnecessarily got stressed out about potatoes. They're great, just not for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Wind new
      #187207 - 06/18/05 10:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Glad you're feeling a bit better! Food allergies are such a bore, aren't they!?

Re: Potatoe queery--the sequel! new
      #187324 - 06/19/05 06:47 PM
Gemma

Reged: 12/15/04

That's interesting. I also have problems with some of the nightshades. I've read that the macrobiotic diet excludes them and that practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine often tell patients to avoid them because they are pro-inflammatory.

I believe you mentioned sweet potatoes as well. I have never done esp. well eating white potatoes, but sweet potatoes are one of my staples; they're incredibly soothing to my gut. It probably has to do with the combination of soluble fiber and antioxidants beta carotene, C and E.

--------------------
Gem

Re: Potatoe queery--the sequel! new
      #187483 - 06/20/05 12:35 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Interesting. Sweet potatoes are not nightshade foods. They are, I believe, members of the morning glory family.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 740

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review