All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can we have gelatin?
      #186963 - 06/17/05 12:21 PM
Heather Eve

Reged: 04/12/04
Loc: Kearny, NJ

I have noticed that my hair and nails are not nearly as strong as they used to be. I am not sure if this is a reaction to the medications i am on or my IBS, but i would like to take some gelatin capsules or eat some jello because it helps nails get strong again--- is gelatin safe for IBS sufferers?

I am afraid to try before asking.

Thank you,
Heather Eve

--------------------
"Not all who wander are lost"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I believe so! new
      #186976 - 06/17/05 12:51 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The only problem I know of with Jello is that some people are sensitive to the artificial colors/flavors. If you don't normally have problems with that kind of thing, give it a try. I eat Jello almost every day, and I've been fine with it.

Just be sure you eat the regular one, not the sugar-free one!

If the idea still makes you nervous, or if you're not sure if you're sensitive to the artificial colors/flavors, try the capsules instead.

Hope that helps!

Re: Heather Eve/Silica new
      #187050 - 06/17/05 05:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I take a gel (not gelatin) called Silica. It's incredible for hair, skin, nails. Silica/silicon is a mineral, incidentally.
It's just this semi clear jelly type stuff that makes your nails and especially your hair STRONG--like horsetail. It's great stuff--better than jello/gelatin for hair/nails/skin.

Re: I believe so! new
      #187067 - 06/17/05 08:09 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am fine with regular jello, as casey said I would avoid the sugar free kind. I eat it often, and when I was younger my mom always had us drink jello with warm water in a mug when we had D.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#187147 - 06/18/05 11:25 AM
Heather Eve

Can i get it at GNC or is it something i should ask my local heath food store about?

Thank you so much for the info! I am looking forward to getting back my nice strong hair and nails!

--------------------

#187149 - 06/18/05 11:27 AM
Heather Eve

Thank you so much! i am sensitive to preservatives more than colors and flavors (i think) so after i have a nice steady time without a flare up i am so whipping up a batch of yummy Jell-O! What a great treat for the hot summer days!
Thanks for the info!

--------------------

#187151 - 06/18/05 11:28 AM
Heather Eve

I am IBS-C...think it will still be ok? I have to admit- the kid in me misses Jello!

--------------------

#187158 - 06/18/05 12:21 PM
Wind

You can get the Collidal Silica gel at the health food store.
You can also get silica capsules, but I found that the gel itself was more potent. The stuff is even more potent than jello. Horsetail caps. are high in silica, too. Incidentally, I know all this because I had really low silica levels. It's in a lot of foods, but I'm not sure if they would be tolerable to you. Watercress, spinach, parsley, beets, carrots, and grains like oats, rice, wheat bran (yes, I know!), bananas, raisons, dill. Those are a few food examples. With the grains I mentioned, the highest levels of silica are in the least refined or processed.

Anyways, I totally understand about people craving "jello."
I just thought I'd let you know that I think, from experience, that the collidal silica gel is a trillion times more potent. I think you notice the difference in your nails the fastest.

#187181 - 06/18/05 05:24 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I would still try it even if you are C I don't see how it could have that bad of an effect. I am not even sure if it really works for D like my mom told us or if it was just a habit that we got into. It was prob also the fact that is was something warm and liquid to soothe our tummies when we were sick.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#187184 - 06/18/05 06:34 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

What does the silica gel taste like? Can you put it in food so you wouldn't notice?
And would your hair still be soft if it was strong like horse hair?

My hair and nails need some serious attention! I've been trying to eat more protein, like tofu and nuts and lentils, thinking that's what I needed, but if there's something else that works as well, that's great!

--------------------
*Emma*

#187221 - 06/19/05 05:23 AM
Wind

The silica gel really doesn't have much of a taste and you can mix it with something if you should desire. A silica deficiency and its impact on hair/nails/skin actually is not associated with protein deficiency--I'm vegetarian, too. Silica is only in veggies and grains and fruits! It's not in protein foods! It's semi-translucent and has no real taste or smell--it's a little gummy/glue like in texture. I just put it on a spoon and swallowed it with no problem twice a day. In less than a week, I started noticing the difference and within a month, my nails were HARD and my hair STRONGER and SHINIER. Having been bald, it actually began filling in and my scalp healed and now I have hair!!!
It's a trace mineral.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2852

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review