All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lactose Intolerance Breath Test
      #186851 - 06/17/05 06:32 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hi all - hope everyone is ok today. I have been told I am possibly lactose intolerant, which will need a test, apparently the lactose intolerance breath test - which involves drinking something and then breathing into something?! ...I have done a search but couldn't find what I was looking for and wondered if anyone had had this done and what it involves?!?! Perhaps, maybe?

If I have to drink down pure lactose, I will be on the loo for the rest of the day, if not longer and kinda need to be prepared!! eeek

Any help/advice would be gratefully received xxxx hugs to all xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactose Intolerance Breath Test new
      #186853 - 06/17/05 06:41 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've had one, and yes, you drink a bottle of lactose liquid. Then breath into bags like every 15-30 minutes for an hour or so. I don't remember how long.

If you are lactose intolerant, you will probably be in the loo for the rest of the day.

Mine came out negative, but I still do not drink or eat dairy per this diet as Heather says even if you do not show lactose intolerant from a test, dairy can still be a problem for us IBSers.

I did not have any D after the test, or even any worse problems than usual, so I don't know why I avoid it, except that this diet says not to consume it.

Maybe someone can explain why we are suppose to avoid it even if we don't test positive for lactose intolerance.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#186855 - 06/17/05 06:53 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

Hey Beth - hope you're ok. Thanks for your response - most helpful. Oo er, I'm not looking forward to that then, I might have to take the day off of work!!!

I'm guessing that dairy is just hard to digest, esp milk, the molecules are big so would give someone with digestion problems a hard time; plus most dairy products are quite high in fat.

If you heat up milk or cook cheese etc, it reduces the molecules making it easier to digest, plus goats/sheep milk/cheese has less lactose in it - with smaller molecules, making it easier to digest also!

If anyone else has any useful tips on lactose, they would be gratefully recvd also!!

Common Sense Approach Is Best! new
      #186885 - 06/17/05 09:15 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you have been diagnosed with IBS, then you might be able to save yourself the bother and misery of having a lactose intolerance test. That's because milk is a major trigger for many IBS people (although not all) so it goes without saying you should stay away from it, if it bothers you. You don't need a lactose test to determine that.

As well, it's important to note that lactose is only one problem IBS people may have with milk. The main problem, as I understand it, is the fat content and that milk in any form is difficult to digest -- especially for IBS people.

I was lucky to be spared the lactose intolerance test when I was younger because my doctor simply asked me if I had tried lactose-free milk. He told me that if I was drinking lactose-free milk and I was still getting sick from it (which I was), it was highly likely I was lactose intolerant and even possibly milk protein intolerant. As it turns, I was "everything milk intolerant" because I had IBS!

I think some medical tests are unnecessary if one simply uses their common sense. For example, I suffer from allergic asthma (to pets and mould). When I told my allergist this, he said I needed to be tested for asthma. When I asked what this involved, he said I would be given something that would provoke an asthma attack if I had asthma. I thought this was hysterical and I refused the test! I said to the doctor: "Why would I need to be tested to see if I have asthma when I already know I have it!" He saw my point and prescribed a puffer which I use on rare occasion when I come in contact with pets and mould.

In simple terms, what I am trying to say to you is why put yourself through grief to have this test when milk is already known to be a major IBS trigger? Even if the test proves you are not lactose intolerant, it doesn't mean you will be able have milk. And if the test finds you are lactose intolerant, it doesn't mean you will be able to have lactose-free milk either. Your problem with milk may be more likely related to your IBS than simply to possible lactose intolerance.

Re: Common Sense Approach Is Best! new
      #186890 - 06/17/05 09:20 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sometimes common sense is so uncommon, Belinda!

#186892 - 06/17/05 09:25 AM
Violette

Reged: 05/03/05

But aren't there people out there who may have been diagnosed with IBS by Doctors who never tested for lactose intolerance? What if some of these people are lactose intolerant, but do not suffer from IBS? That would mean that as long as they cut out the dairy, they should be fine, and can still enjoy the other things that we IBSers cannot.

#186894 - 06/17/05 09:32 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you only cut out dairy and ALL your symptoms disappear, then consider this as an option. If you have IBS and cut out only dairy (making no other diet or lifestyle modifications), it's extremely unlikely all your symptoms will disappear!

Btw, I'm both!

Beth new
      #186896 - 06/17/05 09:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Whey, casein and the fat are also triggers in milk for IBS. If you had no symptoms from that much pure lactose, I wouldn't worry if a minor ingredient on something is lactose (ie. not milk, cheese, whey or casein)...just avoid the other bits.

There Was A Disclaimer! new
      #186929 - 06/17/05 11:00 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As I said in my message, "IF YOU HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH IBS..."

i.e. I included a disclaimer!

If you are talking about misdiagnosis, that's a different kettle of fish altogether! IBS has a wider range of symptoms than lactose intolerance so hopefully a good doctor wouldn't mistake lactose intolerance for IBS. If s/he does, I would recommend switching doctors!

#186969 - 06/17/05 12:38 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

If you're like me and the only problem you have with dairy is lactose intolerance you can take a lactaid pill before you consume dairy. That's what I do and I can have dairy in small quantities. Also, I drink Lactaid milk. If your IBS won't tolerate dairy then you will probably have to stay away from dairy alltogether.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1250 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2187

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review