All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Sorry-I have to vent-I am so depressed
      #186534 - 06/15/05 03:11 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I have been watching my calories and exercising every day-walk 4 miles and strength train 3-4X week.

The last 2 days I have gotten up in the am and had huge logs and pain. My gut felt like it worked out-sore all day-actually since about Sat it has been doing this.

I have a huge job interview next Thurs. It would be a much less stressful job, much less travel and much more in line with my personal goals in life. I am meeting with 10 people from the CFO, COO aand every Exec VP.

I am bloated terribly. I went suit shopping today and it is like my hips have doubled in size. I feel like a fat cow.

Of course the heat and humidity aren't doing much to help. My hair is limp and yucky all of a sudden, but I just feel so pregnant-even when I don't eat a thing. It is like I grew 2 dress sizes overnight.

Anyone have issues like this. the scale is way up too. I am so frustrated and totally depressed. Help guys!!!!! Please.

Sorry to be so down-but I am majorly depressed right now. The suit I bought last year I can't get over my hips. Stuff that fit perfect 2 weeks ago, I can't get on. I know I haven't been eating that much and I work out like crazy. This just doesn't make sense. I feel obese and like a failure.

Thanks!!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sorry-I have to vent-I am so depressed new
      #186537 - 06/15/05 03:38 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Don't feel like a failure - you're most definitely not. You've got a major stressful event coming up in your life and the little things are taking their toll. It's totally frustrating when you're working out like crazy and eating healthily and nothing happens. Trust me - I was on weight watchers for 12 weeks and didn't lose a pound. Not ONE. In fact, I gained. Don't obsess over the fact that your weight is up a bit. So what? The honest truth is is that likely no one but you notices it. Plus, if you're bloating, I find that the pulling on the stomach pulls the pants forward and tightens the hip area even more. So it's not just your hips. It's probably the bloating too. Your hips aren't likely nearly as bad as you're thinking. Cheer up. Treat yourself to a new suit and try not to worry.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#186540 - 06/15/05 03:56 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am so sorry you are feeling so down and I totally understand. Have you changed anything you are eating recently? Are you eating a lot of wheat products? Are you eating too little calories for your size and activity level?
Just a few questions, I really hope you feel better.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#186541 - 06/15/05 04:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The heat has broken here in North Jersey - I'm sitting in front of an open window and the breeze is making me think about putting on a sweatshirt, thank goodness - so it should be easing off there, too. I think that will help a lot - even before IBS, heat and humidity always made me simultaneously swell up and wilt. Plus this kind of weather is just psychologically hard, I think.

I agree that the size increase is more likely bloating than actual weight gain. Two weeks is way too fast to gain enough weight to make a difference - especially if you're exercising.

Could you consider a dress/suit type outfit instead of a true suit - a classic/classy A-line type dress that skims your body rather than hugging, with a super jacket? (I have no idea if they're in style this year and if they're not, I know they can be almost impossible to find. Maybe Nordstrom's?)

Good luck with the job interview. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#186563 - 06/15/05 06:23 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi Mary,
Im so sorry to hear of this difficult time for you. I know it is so difficult when you see those numbers on the scale or feel your belly protruding despite all your conscientious efforts to eat appropriately/exercise. First of all, as hard as it may be, get rid of that scale for now. Your weight is only going to be inflated, esp if you are full of water/poo. And, no matter how much you exercise/how well you eat, that number is still going to be artificially inflated. Forget the number until you are feeling better about yourself, and the bloating goes away. Otherwise, you are just using those numbers to self-deprecate when you need to try to focus on all the amazing qualities you must have to have been chosen to interview amongst such prestigious/successful individuals. On the day of the interview, I would suggest a skirt or pant suit which will hide the bloat that you are seeing. I know when I get really bloated and gassy, I am also very constipated. I try to eat enough fiber to regulate my BMs better and drink lots of hot fennel tea, too. Maybe try some soothing soups on your belly. It could be that it is just aggravated and needs some soothing to bring it down a bit. I completely empathize with you, as I know it is devastating but i also know that the scale is like the WORST thing ever when you are feeling so bloated.

I also believe that the more you worry/get anxious over your belly's size, the bigger it gets too. It sounds silly, but I think all that anxiety becomes self-fulfilling for your eyes.

I know I am making it sound very easy,but believe me, I completely understand all the distress. But, try to put your best self forward for these next few days so you can shine on the day of your interview. I promise no one but you will notice that belly, and get rid of that scale until your belly calms down.

Good luck and take care!

#186574 - 06/15/05 07:17 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Thanks everyone. I can't tell you how much better I feel just talking to you guys and getting support. I am calming down and taking all your advice. I had two cups of fennel tea, lots of water and no triggers. I also understand the anxiety/stress connection which is probably a big trigger here. It would be a big change and I guess I internalize the nerves.

I know in my head the weight is the bloat etc. because I know what I have eaten and how much I have exercised and it doesn't make sense, but i still beat myself up. Hearing it from you all really helps get me grounded.

I bought 2 suits tonight-one with a long very loose skirt, and one pant suit. Both fit loose and the jackets cover the bloat. I am planning on the pantsuit since it is more tailored and classic, but I am throwing in the skirt in case I feel really bloated and can't handle even the pants. But they fit tonight and I am at my worst-so they should work next week- I hope!!

Thanks again-I needed you tonight. I really would love this job-it would change my lifestyle for sure. I think I would be a lot less stressed, I would have more time with my son, and I would be happier when I am working.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

Good luck on the interview Mary new
      #186575 - 06/15/05 07:19 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I hope, hope, hope this works out for you!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#186584 - 06/15/05 08:13 PM
mudpielady

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: Kansas

Hey, gurl. Isn't the bloating just the worst??!!! I get it lots. Stress is my worst problem. I was unemployed for 7 months-am a single mom-you would think that was stressful, but now that I'm back working, I'm in worse shape IBS-wise. Peppermint seems to break up some of the bloat for me, and I take Valerian root to calm my stress down. Sigh. Nothing is helping much right now, I'm too freaked out about my new call-center job. So I'm looking for something less stressful. Geez, ha, I stress about having D on the job! Maybe if I started smoking weed like the cancer patients I would be calm.... Or in jail? ha. I guess all we can do is our best! I hope ya get better, I DO feel yer pain!

Mary, have you started taking the Fiber Choice? new
      #186585 - 06/15/05 08:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I know you posted about wanting to try it. But it could be your problem now. Did you see this reply I posted? FiberChoice

I would stop it for a while if you are indeed taking it since it may be the cause of your worse bloating/pain. Just a thought.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

TOTALLY!! new
      #186586 - 06/15/05 08:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

That's why I kept paying $40 a month for a gym membership that I didn't use for 6 months. i went every day consistently, and dieted, for 4 months, and never lost a pound!! I quit trying again till recently, but I had gained about another 10-15 lbs. So I'm back to wqhere I was before I went to the gym now. Stupid.

But there's gotta be something else we can do!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2431 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3462

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review