All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
skin irritations
      #186419 - 06/15/05 07:34 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Has anyone ever noticed skin irritations as part of their IBS? I tend to get theses itchy spots (like a bug bite-but it isn't) right before/during a flare-up. No dr. has been able to explain it and I don't think they think it is realted. However since I am the one tracking when I get them it is one heck of a coincidence! I also haven't realted it to any particular food so I don't think it is a food allergy.

Jamie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: skin irritations new
      #186421 - 06/15/05 07:44 AM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

I think it probably IS related. I get really bad acne when I get sick, and the wierd thing is I've NEVER had acne in my life...not even during puberty! So it does cause skin problems IMO.

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

#186460 - 06/15/05 09:20 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I think skin irritations can be a symptom of celiac. Have you been tested for that?

#186499 - 06/15/05 12:34 PM
jblake

I haven't been tested for celiac disease. I have a close relative who has celiac disease so I a familiar with it. It never accured to me that I might have that. I'll have to do some more reseach on that. With as much refined wheat flour products I eat I can't imagine I wouldn't be sicker if I had celiac disease.

Jamie

#186501 - 06/15/05 12:40 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I have heard of/known plenty of people who get rashes from stress so I guess it could be that. Have you tried taking an anti-histamine if you feel an attack coming on?

#186504 - 06/15/05 12:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I get them and it's usually as a result of a food sensitivity/allergy/intolerance. Also, have you been exposed to any cleansers/cleaning products, new medications? Stress is another huge trigger. My food related ones involve unbearable itchiness and red bumps and it's so hard not to scratch! I get really wheezy, too. And big black circles under my eyes. Nobody quite understands the feeling of itchiness under my skin and inside of my colon. The irritation subsides, though in less than a week. Certain fabrics give me rashes, too--I'm a 100% cotton person.

Wind! new
      #186508 - 06/15/05 01:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Although it's rare, I do get that sense of itchiness under my skin and in my intestines as well...Isn't it the strangest feeling? More often, I get one or two red bumps on my abdomen--always in the same place--and the dark circles under my eyes, but I thought it was due to pollen or something else external, like clothing, not necessarily a food allergy. I think I'll start keeping track of this in my food journal!

#186556 - 06/15/05 05:21 PM
jblake

I have been having these "itches" since about 1994 when they first diagnosed me with possible Crohn's disease, then they thought it was from the sulfa drugs, so they switched me to asacol. But no matter what I just keep getting them, although not anywhere near as bad as in years past. I really have tried to figure it out-clothing allergy, lotion allergy, food allergy, laundry soap, bathing soap etc. I haven't come up with a single thing it could be related to. They just always happen before/during a flare up so I guess it is just my body telling me to "get ready". I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar and it is nice to know others have "weird" symptoms.

Re: Itchy innards/Maria!Maria! new
      #186558 - 06/15/05 05:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I don't think it's due to pollen because I get it even when there isn't pollen in the air. You're right. It's the creepiest feeling. I tend to get the redness in the midsection, on my knees and feet and behind my ears/scalp, sometimes my arms, too. I do have certain known allergies/sensitivities, but new things keep turning up when I do the elimination program. Citrus, soy, rye, potatoes and nightshade foods really aggravate my symptoms. Yeasts, too. I've only been diagnosed with dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance, but dairy/casein allergy) and nuts and wheat (I'm producing high levels of antibodies. I found out recently that my great grandmother had Celiac, too) and corn. When I was a kid, I had the big black circles for years and puffiness and nobody new why until I had some testing done. I had a big bad reaction to potatoes on the weekend, so they're out. I stopped eating these things and my itchiness/rash/redness is gone and MY HAIR GREW BACK! But itchy guts and red bumps are enough to drive you nuts some nights. It's like you have ants or bugs in your intestines or a mosquito bit you inside. This probably sounds really spun, i.e. like I'm doing something really psychedelic, but it's just the most bizare thing to describe so let's just say intestinal itchiness that you can't scratch! I guess logging is the best way to see a pattern emerge. Maybe it's the opiates in certain foods? The proteins?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1129

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review