All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Multivitamins
      #186353 - 06/14/05 05:20 PM
RnbwConnection78

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Bensalem, PA (right outside of Philadelphia)

Does anyone here have problems taking Multivitamins? I started the Total brand today. I picked that particular vitamin because it is iron free and I know iron can be a trigger for IBS. I don't know if this can be a trigger or not by my stomach has just been generally unhappy since about an hour after I took them... anyone have any suggestions for some safe vitamins or if this could be the problem?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Multivitamins new
      #186359 - 06/14/05 05:40 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I went through about 4 or 5 multivitamins before I found one that didn't irritate my stomach. Lots of vitamins in general can be rough on the tummy.

If you find you have *lots* of problems finding one that doesn't irritate, I think you can ask your doctor or pharmacist about getting prenatal vitamins, which are much gentler. HTH

#186411 - 06/15/05 07:08 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

I have two suggetions:
1. Take your vitamin(s) after dinner. I found that helps when taking those megavitamins. Especially those with iron. It is when you have the most food in your stomach, and if you don't feel well you don't have to try and get through a day of work.

2. I had a dietician tell me (since I have trouble swallowing really big pills) to just take a children's chewable. That the children's pills actually have enough supplements. I have found Flinstone Brand to work well. I just take it while I am eating my dinner.

Jamie

Can't Tolerate Vitamin Pills new
      #186413 - 06/15/05 07:12 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I haven't found a vitamin pill yet that doesn't cause an IBS attack. I'm forced to get my vitamins from the food I eat.

#186414 - 06/15/05 07:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm fine with mine - I take them with breakfast.

Btw, watch the chewables as many of them contain sweeteners.

#186442 - 06/15/05 08:49 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I haven't tried a multivitamin recently because in the past I believed it to contribute to my daily D and cramps, even if I took it with food. I thought it was the Vitamin C since it can cause a laxative effect and most multivitamins usually contain 100% of the RDA. Maybe this is just too much Vitamin C at one time for us IBSers. You might want to see how much Vit C your multivitamin contains. Also, in one of her newsletters Heather discusses the acidity of Vitamin C and how that can be a problem, causing gas and D.

However, I can eat Luna Bars, which are vitamin fortified and also contain 100% of Vitamin C in one bar--no attacks or cramps. I think the multivitamin formulas I tried in the past probably contained iron and magnesium; so those, in addition to the Vit C, could have been adding to the problem. (Luna Bars do not contain iron.) HTH!

#186450 - 06/15/05 09:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I take One-A-Day Essentials - no minerals at all - at breakfast and do fine. I'm thinking of trying my husband's One-A-Day Men's - they have minerals, but no iron. I'd try half of one of those tablets.

Warning - Rant: I don't understand why vitamins insist on giving you 100%, 200%, 300% of the RDA. I feel like I just need a little bit of help - like maybe 25% of the RDA - because I haven't completely worked out getting enough fruits and vegetables. I looked at iron supplements a week or so ago and found the same thing - they all seemed to provide 139% (strange number) of the RDA. The only one that didn't was one of the "naturals" (apparently hot new vitamin concept - the vitamins are extracted from foods instead of whipped up in labs). That provided only 39% which would have been great - but it had lactose in it!

Okay, finished ranting now. I'm seeing my doctor later today about various things and plan to ask her about trying iron in liquid form.

BTW, the issue of vitamins has come up before. You might try a Search and see what other info is out there.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Try oatmeal instead! new
      #186451 - 06/15/05 09:13 AM
Linz

It has something 33% of quite a few vitamins...mine does anyway.

I take loads, but that's to do with my fibro, not the IBS....I'm just lucky that they don't affect the IBS adversely.

Sand new
      #186452 - 06/15/05 09:14 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I second your rant! I too feel like I just need a little bit of help--not up to 3x the RDA! I think I might try a calcium supplement and stick with the Luna Bars for now. (And what is with that 139%!?)

It's probably a round number of mg.... new
      #186454 - 06/15/05 09:15 AM
Linz

...the %'s are only based on an average person's average diet anyway so they're not gospel.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 574 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1563

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review