All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Potatoe queery
      #186282 - 06/14/05 12:16 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Am I the only one who is triggered by potatoes? Even boiled and peeled they cause me gas/bloating/cramps and D. I do have problems with other nightshade foods, i.e. peppers, tomatoes, eggplant. I re-test them every year as a trigger and I get the same reaction! Not to mention boils/zits and itchy skin, wheezy and redness. Maybe it's just one of those foods! Can it be possible to have a potatoe allergy/sensitivity?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoe queery new
      #186301 - 06/14/05 12:50 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nightshade family allergy/sensitivity definitely yes! That's a bummer for you.

#186350 - 06/14/05 05:05 PM
Wind

Thanks, Linz. My itchiness and rash/boils are finally subdued, tamed--the eyes are still really puffy and black. My breathing is better. Tummy will be back to normal by Thursday at the very latest. I guess they're on my NOT list. Those little new potatoes are so cute. I'm sticking to rice, though...millet and quinoa.

#186530 - 06/15/05 02:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think I may have a problem with them. Whenever I eat baked low fat chips, I tend to burp them up for hours.

I love potatoes in any form (baked, "fries", mashed with rice milk, chips) so I don't want to have a problem with them! I'm tired of the same grains (millet and quinoa).

I don't get the other symptoms, just the GI stuff.

Anyone else get pain, bloat, gas, or constipation from taters?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#186551 - 06/15/05 05:04 PM
Wind

I think spuds have a lot of lactic acid. They really make me burp too. Any nightshade food aggravates my symptoms. I really only re-test once a year and in less than a few hours...yikes. Maybe it's the sugars in them that cause the burping, i.e. fructose/sucrose. They're really heavy on the tummy too, when you're used to rice, etc. I don't know, but my body goes haywire with the solanae family and doesn't know how to cope with the proteins in potatoes. I'll stick to safe steamed rice anyday, everyday.

Do sweet potatoes effect you... new
      #186564 - 06/15/05 06:35 PM
Augie

the same way?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Do sweet potatoes effect you... new
      #186573 - 06/15/05 07:15 PM
Wind

Sweet potatoes give me the most painful and rude unbearable gas and bloating and cramping. They are too heavy! I think it's the sugars/fructose or something. Lately, though, even a banana makes me feel bloated. But sweet potatoe cramps and gas is just embarrassing and vile and I've sworn off them forever. It's as bad as eating a pear, even in a "safe" way. Carrots do the same thing to me and beets, even though I love them. I don't get a rash, though from the sweet potatoe. I just feel like I'm going to blow up! It's like the sweet potatoe just floats to the top of my stomach like a dead gold fish instead of just swimming through my g.i. tract. It's just this fleshy sediment that feels like it's going to be there forever and ever! Orange food in general, gives me gas/bloating and I'm convinced it's the fructose/sugars and the weight of the actual food. A sweet potatoe in my tummy feels like a brick. I'll take my bowl of rice and safe veggies any day--everyday! If I have even a bowl of oatmeal, I feel like I'm going to fill my shorts or pants or like someone put wood chips in my g.i. tract!
Please note, though, that these are my triggers and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination knocking fruit or sugars or sweet potatoes or potatoes or any food. I'm just sharing my experience. Sweet potatoes just don't like me. They make me feel like I'm going to puke, too. Orange squashes and pumpkin does the same thing. I think tubers and roots/winter squashes are off my potential menu forever.

Incidentally, Beth, how do you do with sweet potatoe?

Oh, geez, now I'm scared new
      #186576 - 06/15/05 07:27 PM
Augie

Sometimes I think I would be better off staying away from the boards. I am so confused about sweet potatoes/squash/carrots now! I eat these in some form every day.

I know you said they are your triggers, but everytime I read about a bad reaction to a food, I think they are problems for me too. See, I have gas, bloat, and cramps everyday, all the time...and I don't know my triggers. So everytime I read about someone having problems with a food, I become fearful of it. Honestly, I eat some of these types of food EVERYDAY! I make a soup of sweet potatoes/carrots/butternut squash/pumpkin and I eat it every other day because I thought it would be a safe soluble fiber food for me. And I have pumpkin for dinner about 3 times a day.

I am so scared now.

Does anyone else have problems with sweet potatoes, carrotss, squash? Are sweet potatoes a trigger for a lot of people? These veggies are high in sugar content.

Wind, are sweet potatoes worse on your tummy than regular potatoes even?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oh, geez, now I'm scared *DELETED* new
      #186579 - 06/15/05 08:01 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Oh, geez, now I'm scared new
      #186581 - 06/15/05 08:06 PM
Wind

Now don't over-react, yet, Beth. Perhaps try changing your traditional orange soup for awhile to see if you note any changes? It sounds like you're really eating a lot of these foods.

Re: my sweet potatoe reaction. It takes about three days for swelling to vanish/bloating. I just plain won't touch them. I look pregnant if I eat one. The smell is just brutal. My stomach will just not empty if I eat one or the other. It's like the thing is fermenting or something inside of me. Once again, this is just my personal issue with sweet potatoe so don't over-react. I swear it has something to do with the sugars fermenting inside of me, but
I'm not a rocket scientist. Perhaps try something other than the carrot/squash/pumpkin/sweet potatoe concoction and see if there's a change, if you're concerned. Test it. I'd just double-over with cramps, personally, with the medley you mentioned and be unable to move.

Re: Are sweet potatoes worse on my tummy than potatoe? I don't get a rash/skin reaction with sweet potatoe as I do with potatoe--wheezing, but mostly from the discomfort/gravity of them. I think the sweet potatoe causes more bloating and discomfort, though. Things just randomly shoot out of my butt and are really stringy for a few days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6393

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review