All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Potatoe queery
      #186282 - 06/14/05 12:16 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Am I the only one who is triggered by potatoes? Even boiled and peeled they cause me gas/bloating/cramps and D. I do have problems with other nightshade foods, i.e. peppers, tomatoes, eggplant. I re-test them every year as a trigger and I get the same reaction! Not to mention boils/zits and itchy skin, wheezy and redness. Maybe it's just one of those foods! Can it be possible to have a potatoe allergy/sensitivity?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoe queery new
      #186301 - 06/14/05 12:50 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Nightshade family allergy/sensitivity definitely yes! That's a bummer for you.

#186350 - 06/14/05 05:05 PM
Wind

Thanks, Linz. My itchiness and rash/boils are finally subdued, tamed--the eyes are still really puffy and black. My breathing is better. Tummy will be back to normal by Thursday at the very latest. I guess they're on my NOT list. Those little new potatoes are so cute. I'm sticking to rice, though...millet and quinoa.

#186530 - 06/15/05 02:56 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I think I may have a problem with them. Whenever I eat baked low fat chips, I tend to burp them up for hours.

I love potatoes in any form (baked, "fries", mashed with rice milk, chips) so I don't want to have a problem with them! I'm tired of the same grains (millet and quinoa).

I don't get the other symptoms, just the GI stuff.

Anyone else get pain, bloat, gas, or constipation from taters?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#186551 - 06/15/05 05:04 PM
Wind

I think spuds have a lot of lactic acid. They really make me burp too. Any nightshade food aggravates my symptoms. I really only re-test once a year and in less than a few hours...yikes. Maybe it's the sugars in them that cause the burping, i.e. fructose/sucrose. They're really heavy on the tummy too, when you're used to rice, etc. I don't know, but my body goes haywire with the solanae family and doesn't know how to cope with the proteins in potatoes. I'll stick to safe steamed rice anyday, everyday.

Do sweet potatoes effect you... new
      #186564 - 06/15/05 06:35 PM
Augie

the same way?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Do sweet potatoes effect you... new
      #186573 - 06/15/05 07:15 PM
Wind

Sweet potatoes give me the most painful and rude unbearable gas and bloating and cramping. They are too heavy! I think it's the sugars/fructose or something. Lately, though, even a banana makes me feel bloated. But sweet potatoe cramps and gas is just embarrassing and vile and I've sworn off them forever. It's as bad as eating a pear, even in a "safe" way. Carrots do the same thing to me and beets, even though I love them. I don't get a rash, though from the sweet potatoe. I just feel like I'm going to blow up! It's like the sweet potatoe just floats to the top of my stomach like a dead gold fish instead of just swimming through my g.i. tract. It's just this fleshy sediment that feels like it's going to be there forever and ever! Orange food in general, gives me gas/bloating and I'm convinced it's the fructose/sugars and the weight of the actual food. A sweet potatoe in my tummy feels like a brick. I'll take my bowl of rice and safe veggies any day--everyday! If I have even a bowl of oatmeal, I feel like I'm going to fill my shorts or pants or like someone put wood chips in my g.i. tract!
Please note, though, that these are my triggers and I'm not by any stretch of the imagination knocking fruit or sugars or sweet potatoes or potatoes or any food. I'm just sharing my experience. Sweet potatoes just don't like me. They make me feel like I'm going to puke, too. Orange squashes and pumpkin does the same thing. I think tubers and roots/winter squashes are off my potential menu forever.

Incidentally, Beth, how do you do with sweet potatoe?

Oh, geez, now I'm scared new
      #186576 - 06/15/05 07:27 PM
Augie

Sometimes I think I would be better off staying away from the boards. I am so confused about sweet potatoes/squash/carrots now! I eat these in some form every day.

I know you said they are your triggers, but everytime I read about a bad reaction to a food, I think they are problems for me too. See, I have gas, bloat, and cramps everyday, all the time...and I don't know my triggers. So everytime I read about someone having problems with a food, I become fearful of it. Honestly, I eat some of these types of food EVERYDAY! I make a soup of sweet potatoes/carrots/butternut squash/pumpkin and I eat it every other day because I thought it would be a safe soluble fiber food for me. And I have pumpkin for dinner about 3 times a day.

I am so scared now.

Does anyone else have problems with sweet potatoes, carrotss, squash? Are sweet potatoes a trigger for a lot of people? These veggies are high in sugar content.

Wind, are sweet potatoes worse on your tummy than regular potatoes even?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Oh, geez, now I'm scared *DELETED* new
      #186579 - 06/15/05 08:01 PM
Jeano

Reged: 03/20/04
Loc: USA

Post deleted by Jeano

Re: Oh, geez, now I'm scared new
      #186581 - 06/15/05 08:06 PM
Wind

Now don't over-react, yet, Beth. Perhaps try changing your traditional orange soup for awhile to see if you note any changes? It sounds like you're really eating a lot of these foods.

Re: my sweet potatoe reaction. It takes about three days for swelling to vanish/bloating. I just plain won't touch them. I look pregnant if I eat one. The smell is just brutal. My stomach will just not empty if I eat one or the other. It's like the thing is fermenting or something inside of me. Once again, this is just my personal issue with sweet potatoe so don't over-react. I swear it has something to do with the sugars fermenting inside of me, but
I'm not a rocket scientist. Perhaps try something other than the carrot/squash/pumpkin/sweet potatoe concoction and see if there's a change, if you're concerned. Test it. I'd just double-over with cramps, personally, with the medley you mentioned and be unable to move.

Re: Are sweet potatoes worse on my tummy than potatoe? I don't get a rash/skin reaction with sweet potatoe as I do with potatoe--wheezing, but mostly from the discomfort/gravity of them. I think the sweet potatoe causes more bloating and discomfort, though. Things just randomly shoot out of my butt and are really stringy for a few days.

thanks for your reply Shelby and a request to others, please need feedback new
      #186582 - 06/15/05 08:06 PM
Augie

I'm so worried because I eat these these foods everyday. And since I have gas/bloat/pain everyday it is impossible to tract down the culprit.

For anyone else, I would love your input on whether you can tolerate sweet potatoes and/or squash. Please

--------------------
~ Beth

I don't know how useful I am... new
      #186592 - 06/15/05 08:58 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but I'll put in 2C to make you feel better, sweetie.

I never have eaten yams or sweet potatoes or beets-they all literally make me gag to even think of them. Maybe some infantile IBS thing, who knows. But carrots, squash and tatos have never hurt me one bit. I try to avoid the really really starchy stuff because it geneerally doesn't appeal to me anyhow. I eat a lot of zucchini, acorn squash, pasta and rice as my SF. Oatmeal bothers my tummy, so does almost any cereal....but that's ME. I'm weird, we all are!

I was saying I believe this is just an intricate series of food intolerances, rather than an actual syndrome, and in 5 years when they know even that much more, they will break us into smaller groups and IBS won't even be around anymore.

Beth, i think you are worrying yourself silly, girl! I think you're getting so worried about everything everyone is saying because you're so desperately seeking answers. Am I right? I know what it's like to be there. It's called "Medical student syndrome"-every disease they study, they dfeel they have because it seems so real to them.
We've all been there.

I wonder if doing some meditation stuff would help you out a bit? i know that's one big goal of mine-is to get ome time to just -ohmmmmmmm.....

Is there anything we can do to help you worry a little less, Beth, and yet not lose you?? I, for one, won't let you give up.

Your friend,
Shannon

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Augie, my dear! new
      #186596 - 06/15/05 09:23 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Augie, please don't be scared. I think you might be confusing yourself. You know we're each different and sometimes have triggers that not even Heather would consider a trigger. The same goes for what foods we can tolerate. For example, I have no problems with well-cook sweet potatoes, squashes and carrots. If anything, they are soothing to my digestive tract. Unfortunately, I don't eat them as often as I like, but when I do it doesn't affect me badly. I do experience some gas with regular potatoes, but nothing terrible. You say you eat these foods regularly, do you believe they're causing you problems?

I know you've been working on the diet for a while, but I remember some other posts where you mentioned drinking Diet Rite and having had an ED in the past--I'm not saying you're doing this now, but it just makes me wonder if your body needs a lot more time to heal. First, it had to adjust to the soda pop and ED, then it had to readjust when you stopped these habits and now it has to get used to the IBS diet, GF diet, and your other digestive troubles. I truly believe that you'll get better; however, I also believe that it's going to take a lot of time to (1)heal your body and spirit and (2)regulate your digestive tract. Please don't be annoyed with me, and please correct me if I have some detail wrong... And I'm sorry about going off here, but I mean it with the best of intentions and lots of caring. I just worry about my fellow library employee! I want to see you get better!

Re: I don't know how useful I am... new
      #186603 - 06/15/05 10:04 PM
Linz

I eat squashes fine...we don't really get sweet potatoes over here. Regular ones are fine tho. These are a great SF source, unless you are allergic/intolerant of them (something that's separate to IBS).

If you're reallly worried, then why not do exclusion diets of each food family - nightshade, brassicas, etc.

Yep, I'm a stress monster new
      #186680 - 06/16/05 11:14 AM
Augie

If I could ever get stable, I think I would be less afraid of foods and able to pinpoint my own unique triggers. But when I hurt all the time...and feel gassy/bloaty, constipated all the time...every food becomes suspect, especially when anyone reports having a problem with it. I automatically turn to myself and worry about how my own body is maybe not handling things that are suppose to be safe for most people.

I'd never, ever be annoyed with you Maria. You are always so kind to me and I know you truly care. For that I can never thank you enough.

I hope you are right that I will one day find some relief and that maybe my body still is dealing with the long term effects of having had drank soda and my past eating disorder. But I would think the soda thing would be an instant relief. I'm actually thinking about starting to drink it again because I didn't feel any worse with it and it tasted so good and not boring like all this yucky tea...tea is getting very old!

It's been a long time since my last soda and since my eating disorder has been "active" so I was hoping I would feel some improvement by now. How can you be so sure there will ever be relief. And yes, there is the GF, gallbladder dyskinesia, and gastroparesis to deal with and try to manage on top of the IBS. I just don't know if I can deal with all these factors anymore. The IBS alone is difficult...with all the others it just wears me out trying to find some balance. One diet requires low fiber, and one says more IF and SFS. What's a gal to do?

Thanks for your words of support though. They mean a lot.

--------------------
~ Beth

You are so nice to me new
      #186683 - 06/16/05 11:32 AM
Augie

Thanks for your reply. You are so right with everything you said. Right on target, dear. You'd make a good psychologist!

I am worried because I am so desparate...and so tired of feeling so bad. I just cry and feel so tired and worn out. I love the boards, but just don't know if maybe they may be causing me more stress sometimes. But one day, someone may post the magic cure for me and all others with GI distress and I don't want to miss it!

I've never tried meditation...doesn't seem to be time for it as I am a Type A here and would probably be making lists of things I needed to be doing instead the whole time.

Just being here for me and telling me you can eat these foods helps some, Shannon. All of you.. I just was curious how others did with these foods...or if they are generally difficult for more people. That would be a good indication that I might be more prone to these foods as intolerances as well. Should I be worried about oatmeal now?

How do you guys pinpoint your tummy acher foods when we hurt most of the time? Or don't you guys hurt most of the time. What effects do a problem food cause that is different from the normal yucky feelings?

I wish there was an accurate test to take that would tell me what I am intolerant too...Not an allergy test, but a reliable intolerance test to give me some answers since I have yet to be able to identify one trigger on my own! And I'm not stupid...just always feel yucky and so unable to notice any difference no matter what I eat.

BTW, are you able to eat white rice without it constipating you? I don't seem to be able to and brown rice seems a little harsh.

--------------------
~ Beth

Exclusion diets are rough new
      #186686 - 06/16/05 11:37 AM
Augie

and I think I would need some nutritional expert to help and I really can't afford that. I know I need to try and increase my foods since I am under weight. Just wish this was easier to figure out.

Thanks for reply, Linz. I know I must be frustrating for you since I tend to post and not get very far. Wish one day I could post you a message saying I have been symptom free for 3 months and counting, like Laura Sue.

I know these are great SF basis, which is why I was eating them, but I don't no if I am intolerant of them...thus the "panic" here.

--------------------
~ Beth

#186689 - 06/16/05 11:42 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I was having problems with potatoes until I switched to organic Russet potatoes. I am fine with them. I am also fine with organic carrots although I had problems until I stopped eating conventional carrots and switched to organic ones.

I still have problems with squash, whether or not it is organic. However, I find I can tolerate winter squash and "sweet potatoe dumpling" squash (sorry I think that's the name ... it's a short elongated squash with bright yellow and green stripes) better than butternut squash.

I also have some problems with sweet potatoes (even organic).

My strategy is that if I do eat squash or sweet potatoes, I just have one small serving of each no more than once in any given day.

As an aside, it is interesting to note that I had problems with white rice (including organic) until I switched to organic white Basmati rice.

Sometimes it seems I just have to try a number of varieties of a particular food until I find a variety that I can tolerate. As well, I find my chances of tolerating a given food are much higher if it is organic.

Re: Potatoe queery/Belinda new
      #186706 - 06/16/05 12:57 PM
Wind

Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate the tip re: organic russets being most tolerable to you. I think my potatoe problem is mostly due to my nightshade sensitivity/allergy. I may attempt potatoe again and if I do it will be ORGANIC RUSSET. However much time needs to pass before I get the guts, the gumption to do so. I know that russets absorb less water when boiled due to their skins. Squashes and sweet potatoes, for me, will never be on the menu.

Your note re: organic basmati white rice being the most tolerable for you is interesting. I find white jasmine and longrain white the most tolerable of rices and white basmati one of the least. Maybe it's due to the amount of amylase each of us secretes or something in response to the cellulose. Once again, I appreciate your wisdom and experience.

Re: Beth, don't freak out! new
      #186709 - 06/16/05 01:07 PM
Wind

Dear, dear Beth. The last thing in the world I would want to do is make you leery or suspiscious of potatoes/sweet potatoes/or squashes. I do know however you have issues re: bloating/gas/C etc. I just don't want you to let me and my experience fearful of something most people on the boards seem to find tolerable and soothing and delicious. So, how do I say this--take it with a grain of salt.

Why would you need paid help? new
      #186730 - 06/16/05 01:35 PM
Linz

They ARE tough, but it's alot easier if you're looking at one thing in particular that's concerning you. And they are very simple, so why would you need expert help?

Btw, have you ever had that sitz marker test for STC?

Beth new
      #186731 - 06/16/05 01:38 PM
Linz

Meditation is something you need to MAKE time for...and I really think you need it! Have you tried yoga? Or hypno?

If you're worried about oatmeal (I'm confused, I thought oats were gluten and you were gf? ) then try instant. I can only do the instant stuff.

Have you tried half-and-half brown rice and white rice? Heather recommends that I think...seems like a good compromise! How are you doing on getting your IF from your veggies?

Re: You are so nice to me new
      #186820 - 06/16/05 11:38 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. You are so right with everything you said. Right on target, dear. You'd make a good psychologist! Thanks, girl...>that's my future plan! I am a teacher, special ed, and it's basicallyt an educational psychology degree. Besides, as I've said, I'm a hardcore feeler. I feel everyone's pain along with them.
one day, someone may post the magic cure for me and all others with GI distress and I don't want to miss it! Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I've never tried meditation...doesn't seem to be time for it as I am a Type A here and would probably be making lists of things I needed to be doing instead the whole time. LOL! I'm a lister too. I organize things that do NOT need to be organized, yet...I call myself a B because it never actually BOTHERS me, i'm just a little psycho!LOL! That's why I think meditation would be great, and it's the perfect thing for YOU, Beth!

Just being here for me and telling me you can eat these foods helps some, Shannon. I really hope it does. as well. Should I be worried about oatmeal now? Probably not-my body's just a bit weird. I can't handle ANYTHING in the morning, but smoothies and toast. Even margarine, a tiny bit, hurts in the AM.

How do you guys pinpoint your tummy acher foods when we hurt most of the time? Or don't you guys hurt most of the time. What effects do a problem food cause that is different from the normal yucky feelings? I'm now noticing that I'm basically pain free but it's still there-just barely. But when i have a trigger food, I will know within 20 mins of eating it. Generally no sooner.

I wish there was an accurate test to take that would tell me what I am intolerant too...Not an allergy test, but a reliable intolerance test to give me some answers since I have yet to be able to identify one trigger on my own! And I'm not stupid...just always feel yucky and so unable to notice any difference no matter what I eat. I really hope you can find some peace of gut soon. You've gone through a lot and it's easy to let your mind make it worse. I KNOW mine can. Worrying is the NOT answer for you, OK? If you need a break, we'll understand.

BTW, are you able to eat white rice without it constipating you? I don't seem to be able to and brown rice seems a little harsh.

Um, almost everything constipates me! Dairy doesn't but hey, that's hell to pay. I wouldn't go there if I was you!!

HUGS, Augie!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Do sweet potatoes effect you... new
      #186835 - 06/17/05 12:57 AM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

Hi all,you lot just solved my problem.my stomach has been diffrent wierd for the last 2 weeks,guess what ive just started adding sweet patatoe to my diet.i think ill leave it out and see if it helps.

Wind IS talking about a specific intolerance here... new
      #186836 - 06/17/05 03:58 AM
Linz

...which is different from saying these are general IBS triggers - ruling out/discovering food intolerances *should* be part of an IBS diagnosis.

Just keep this in mind, okay? Sweet potatoes are safe for IBS...unless you have the specific food intolerance!

Beth... new
      #186838 - 06/17/05 04:04 AM
Linz

...why on Earth haven't you explored the anxiety "treatments" for IBS like yoga, meditation and hypno? Most people with anxiety find their IBS gets better if they deal with the anxiety! Sounds like that's just what you need to do.

Re: Potatoe queery/Belinda new
      #186870 - 06/17/05 08:27 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think the bottom line is that not only do we have to sometimes experiment (when we're stable) by trying various foods to see if we can tolerate them, but we also have to be prepared to try different varieties of the same food because sometimes one variety may be tolerable while another may not be.

Your theory as to why you may be able to tolerate certain varieties of rice while I can only tolerate organic white Basmati is interesting.

I must admit, though, I haven't tried the jasmine variety you mentioned. I've been too chicken to experiment too much! When I find something I can have, I seem to prefer to stay on "safe ground" and not look further!

But perhaps I will get up my nerve and give jasmine rice a try because I've heard it is very tasty and, of course, it is always a good thing to add variety to my diet.

you are describing an allergic reaction! new
      #186872 - 06/17/05 08:43 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

please be careful about this...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: you are describing an allergic reaction! new
      #186883 - 06/17/05 09:11 AM
Wind

I think potatoes are out for me for good. It's not worth the suffering. I'm less pink and itchy, now and the wheezy feeling is gone and my tummy is back to normal. I agree--when there's an intensely allergic reaction remove the source if known. Because I rarely eat a potatoe--I get the same response everytime--I know it's the potatoe as the offender. I'm allergic to nightshade foods anyways and stupid me thought maybe a potatoe wouldn't be so nasty (for me).

I know but.. new
      #187041 - 06/17/05 05:30 PM
Augie

this may sound weird, but I feel too stressed to try to do them. I feel time pressures and no time to do these...plus I get frustrated and more stressed when I can't relax and defocus.

Once I rented a hypnosis video for stress, and the whole time I was watching it my mind kept wandering off, making mental lists in my head of everything I needed to do and how much time I was "wasting" watching this video. Plus, when I found myself wandering away, I would get more stressed because I couldn't make myself relax.

I am in a vicious cycle here. Stress=symptoms=Stress. And also Stress=Need to do yoga, meditation, hypnosis=More stress at not being able to relax enough to do them=More symptoms and stress.

Did that make sense? I know it's hard for others to understand the reasoning, but it is so very hard and frustrating for me to try and do hypnosis when I can't do it correctly. So, I keep putting it off so I don't have to get stressed about not being able to "let go" and do it correctly.

Now there's more info than anyone ever needed to know! Guess I could have just said, "I tried to do it, but got more stressed because I couldn't do them correctly which defeats the purpose of them" but that would have been too easy.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I know but.. new
      #187045 - 06/17/05 05:44 PM
Wind

Beth, I can't be hypnotized either. You're not alone in this.
I can, however, meditate. It's alot like playing the piano or a musical instrument. Don't try so hard. Practice. Discipline. It's a process. Perhaps a stress relieving hobby. I know this sounds awful, but something that can be done in a patterned motion for a specific duration of time which allows your brain to "breathe." This type of doing is mindful mindlessness--surrendering to the task. Do you knit or crochet or do calligraphy or something via your hand chakras? You've got to let go of some of this stress energy
that's not only in your mind but in your body creatively.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5789 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review