All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Have you tried Immodium? new
      #186299 - 06/14/05 12:48 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Try it again. It really is the best thing around for stopping D. You can actually take very high doses safely. Ignore what it says on the box about doses - that's for non-IBSers.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Imodium is a lifesaver. new
      #186309 - 06/14/05 01:10 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Try increasing your dose. I take one or two RIGHT when I get up, and whenever I feel an attack coming on I'll take another 2. When I take the right dose they limit the duration and severity of my attacks every time!

If I eat, I take 2 imodiums first. Otherwise food will go right through me in about 1/2 an hour. I take one before I go to bed too, to ward against night attacks.

I've been taking imodium for years now as a preventative, and it is the single most thing that has helped me. I too used to be in the bathroom 9 to 20 times a day with severe cramping, painful gas and explosive D. Today i can hold down a job, travel on trains and planes, and generally have a outwardly seeming "normal" life, all because of imodium.

Don't feel burdened by the constraints of what "normal" people do. You need to find a dose of imodium that works for you. It WILL work. There are lots of people with D on these boards who take imodium like this. It is not addictive and has been a LIFESAVER to many of us.

Please give the imodium another chance. If you want insurance to pay for it, you can get an Rx from your doctor. I get 60 pills a month, and supplement it with otc imodium advanced (with simethicone, which helps gas). Good luck to you and post back your results!

Be brave! It will get better!

~nelly~

Re: Imodium is a lifesaver. new
      #186395 - 06/15/05 01:28 AM
David Hilton

Reged: 06/14/05
Loc: Australia

Just wondering if the diet has reduced your need to take Immodium as much, or do you still rely on it as heavily/ regularly? Does it ever clog you up too much and make you go the other way, and therefore give you nausea, bloating etc.? I'm just starting the diet and trying to work out how often I do the Immodium thing to find the right balance and how to know if it is the diet or the immodium helping?

#186400 - 06/15/05 03:33 AM
Linz

Nelly is just D if I remember rightly so she doesn't have the problem of it making her C. I did, so I only took one tablet every morning and then 1 extra for attacks. That really helped me to stabilise faster (using the diet) and when I did, I then came off the Immodium and did fine with just the diet. Now I just occasionally take Immodium for rare attacks.

#186446 - 06/15/05 09:02 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

This is what I've done as well, using Imodium as a preventative and for maintenance. Having followed the diet since December, I now only take it once in a while as a preventative since the diet has kept me stable for a few months. Lately, I've only taken it before a trip or other important event where I can't afford to take a chance being in the bathroom all day. I take 1/2 to one caplet either in the morning or evening; since I'm D this amount doesn't constipate me. If I'm already having an attack, I'll take 1-2 caplets.

Heather has written about using Imodium. Search the site using the following spelling: Immodium.

#186449 - 06/15/05 09:07 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hello, David! I'm a D, never been a C and never had nausea or bloating. For those who fluctuate between D and C, they find it harder to take Imodium without blocking them up. I welcome anything that blocks me up.

Without Imodium, food would go right through me, and not just because of the food triggers, but the non-food triggers as well.

My non-food triggers are the worst. Heat is my #1 trigger, then pressure on my stomach, then loud noises or jostling. Even if I eat safely, I can get an attack from any of these non-food triggers. Imodium has helped immensely to make me stable enough to where I only have food-triggered attacks. For instance, now if I'm on a crowded moving subway in the heat (and I've taken my Imodium), I'll be less likely to have an attack than if I've forgotten to take anything.

I do still get food-triggered attacks. If I eat a mystery muffin (and who hasn't ) with dairy or insoluble fiber, I'll get sick 30 minutes after I've taken the first bite. The food attacks are predictable; if I don't get sick in 30 minutes after starting to eat, it's not going to happen for me unless there's another trigger involved.

It's taken me a while to recognize my triggers, and when I am vigilant, I can accurately predict when I'm going to have an attack. Knowing for me when I'm going to be sick takes out a lot of the anxiety of having an attack.

~nelly~

#186557 - 06/15/05 05:25 PM
David Hilton

Reged: 06/14/05
Loc: Australia

Thanks for all your replies! I still am trying to work out my triggers....like Heather said, everything seems to trigger it at one time or another. Until I've got myself stabilised somewhat I don't think I'd recognise my triggers. Still diet is no problem for me as I have been on many (and I have coeliac disease too, so have been gluten-free for years). I have used Immodium before but not like you have described, so it was some good info. Nelly I'm sorry you are so sensitive to non-food things as well! You wouldn't go so well in Australia in summer with all the heat! I hope to get to the stage where I feel I have some predictability and control with my diet so I can do things like travel overseas again! It is hard enough being gluten-free, but with IBS....

Re: Medication question new
      #186622 - 06/16/05 05:09 AM
misery459

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Sand, here is what they had me taking Cicyclomine 20 mg 4x per day and Chlord/clind5-2.5 mg cap amid 4 x per day (this is a generic) Anyway as of today, nothing is working and that includes the digestive advantage.

--------------------
Misery459: Life is a Highway, live it on a Harley.

Try the Immodium again! - nt new
      #186649 - 06/16/05 07:55 AM
Linz

Re: Have you tried Immodium? new
      #186657 - 06/16/05 09:02 AM
misery459

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: Jefferson City, MO

Thanks and I will try the Immodium again. I never dreamed of taking it like you do. I took 1 daily so now I will try it again. If I can get a prescription called in I think it would be better so I'll call the doc and request. Thanks again. You all are great!!!!!

--------------------
Misery459: Life is a Highway, live it on a Harley.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3882 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5594

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review