All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wedding Cake
      #185805 - 06/11/05 10:26 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I am planning on getting married in July 2006. My fiance and I were thinking about our menu and came up with a safe menu for us to enjoy on our special day but as we all know the Wedding cake is one of the most important parts about a wedding. What should I do about the type of cake? What flavor icing? What would be safe for me and good for my guests? I really need some advice. Can anyone help?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wedding Cake new
      #185825 - 06/12/05 06:58 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I'm getting married in June of 2006 - right before you! So this question has come up.

Basically, I've decided to NOT plan a safe menu for the reception. I'll eat something different - probably something I prepared the night before. Almost everyone I know knows that I have "stomach problems" and that I can't eat a lot of things (I do not tell them I have IBS), so it won't surprise them to see me eating something different.

As for the wedding cake, you CAN have it made to be safe for you. I am not going to do that - I will have a traditional Irish wedding cake for me that will be safe. Basically, have them make it fat-free, with no egg yolks or dairy (substitute soy/rice milk) and for the icing, they can either do the Seven Minute Frosting or any of the other frostings on the Recipe Index. I would encourage you, though, to consider eating something different than what is prepared for the rest of the guests. Food is something guests typically remember, and even though *I* may not be able to enjoy the food, I want everyone else to.

Congrats, again!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#185827 - 06/12/05 07:19 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi! There are lots of bakers that make really yummy vegan wedding cakes. So much so that you can't even tell that they have no dairy. I would look for somebody that specializes in making wedding cakes for people with dietary sensitivities. Most bakers are good about listening to you though- ours was careful to avoid all gelatin back in the day because we're vegetarians.

#185842 - 06/12/05 11:14 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I agree with the person who said that you should make "normal" stuff for the "normal" people and then make a separate something for yourself.

My sister got married about a year ago and she had a regular tiered wedding cake and then she let each of me and my 3 sisters pick a different flavor cake that surrounded the regular tiered cake. Then my aunt (who made the cakes) draped ribbons from the cake in the center down to the smaller cakes surrounding it. It was very pretty, and also that way I got a cake that was okay for me to eat and my other sisters got whatever flavor cake they wanted also.

congratulations on getting married.

#185850 - 06/12/05 12:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

See, and I see absolutely NO reason to assume that guests won't enjoy food just because it's NOT disgustingly laden with fat, dairy, and other things that even people with perfectly healthy digestive systems shouldn't have. You'd better believe that when Adam and I finally take the plunge, every single item we serve is going to be something I can eat, from the appetizers down to the cake.

I second the suggestions for the Seven Minute Frosting, which is one of the oldest frosting recipes in the book, and therefore it shouldn't be breaking news for any baker worth their salt. I also second the suggestion for finding a baker who specializes in special dietary needs.

However, if you do decide to go the separate-cakes route, this was a good tip that I picked up in a bridal mag years ago, as a cost-cutting tip. Order a very small cake for the cutting - basically, enough for you to save your top layer for your anniversary, and another small layer below that - and order a sheet cake to serve to the guests. The bonus is that the sheet cakes are a LOT cheaper than a fully-decorated wedding cake, and trust me (as a twice-married myself and a wedding guest at least 2 dozen times), the guests will NOT know the difference. Cake is cake. The last wedding I went to (last weekend), half the guests didn't even eat it!

I actually don't remember the food at any wedding I've gone to, by the way - even the two that were my own! Haha.

#185851 - 06/12/05 12:35 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

We had an entirely vegetarian wedding. Some people grumbled before hand, but when they got there everybody loved the food and ate a ton. I figure, you only get one day that's entirely your day and a celebration of the beginning of your new life with someone. It's the one day that you should get a meal (or cake) that makes YOU happy. Anyway, we all ended up happy with the food at our wedding, so it wasn't an either or case anyway.

#185871 - 06/12/05 01:47 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I agree with all the others. There's absolutely NO reason why you shouldn't be able to have your cake and be able to eat it too! It's only fair! Give the baker the safe icing recipe, and ask that the cake be dairy free and low fat, made only with egg whites and you should be just fine! Casey has the good idea about the slab cake. No one will know the difference. Fortunately, I got a reasonable cost on my wedding cake so it wasn't an issue, but check with different bakeries. I believe that wedding cakes should be EATEN. This cardboard fake stuff drives me NUTS. Go for something very simple, something that can be cut up easily. Congratulations on your marriage. Your wedding will be a blast! Ours was!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#185923 - 06/12/05 08:15 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

Thanks for all your replies. This is soooo helpful. The funny part is that my cake maker is my mother-in-law. She does this for a living but never for someone with certain restrictions. So now I can give her some sort of direction to take on the cake. Again THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVCE.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2883 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review