All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone throw up in a flare up?
      #1857 - 03/03/03 09:02 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

My 22 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with IBS also but she throws up when she's having a D attack. Does anyone else experience this phenomenon?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone throw up in a flare up? new
      #1858 - 03/03/03 09:11 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

I don't throw up during an attack, but am so nauseaous that I wish I could. The nausea is symptom of IBS that has the greatest effect on me. It causes me anxiety, and depression, and I think if I could just throw up and feel better that I would be okay. I have been on Heather's diet for about 6 weeks now, and have only had 2 really bad nauseaous days, but they were mostly because of the time of the month. The Dr. has also put me on bentyl, which helps when I eat stuff I shouldn't. My question is this, does throwing up make her feel better?
You both are in my thoughts,
Shawna

--------------------
SLicK

#1859 - 03/03/03 09:37 PM
Karin

I've never asked her if she feels better after she throws up. She just was telling me she had to throw up at the same time as an attack and since I don't have that problem, I wondered if anyone else does. I will ask her though. Poor thing messed up her finals last semester due to severe attacks. It's hard at 50 to have this, but I imagine it's absolutely horrible to have it in your early 20's and in college. I wish I could help her as I can deal with it better at this stage of my life.

#1861 - 03/03/03 10:10 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

IBS is so hard. I, too, am in my twenties. And I thank God, that I am out of college. The stress of trying to graduate, just about killed me, and I ended up graduating a semester behind everyone else. But I was working full time and going to school full time, and after 2 years, the thing that lacked was my health. I remeber being so sick, that I would have to get up in the middle of a lecture and go running from room. I would have anxiety attacks in class, in the car on the way to school, at work. Oh my goodness..... I don't like to remember! Just remember that your daughter needs all the love and support she can get. And it might not be my place to say, but be concious of your daughters needs. It is sometimes hard to live up to a parents expectations, I know it was for me. My mother is a super achiever. And I needed a friend more that a mother during that time.

Anyway, I know nausea is common for us IBS sufferers. So, I imagine that vomiting can be as well, when the nausea is extream, but that might mean other things too. Has you daughter seen a Dr. and been through all the tests? I know that is not the kind of thing she probably needs right now, but, you guys need to know for sure she has IBS.
Keep me posted,
Shawna

--------------------
SLicK

Re: Anyone throw up in a flare up? Yep. Very uncool. new
      #1862 - 03/03/03 10:59 PM
jo1978

Reged: 02/26/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Poor kid. I started doing that about 6 months into my first job out of uni, so I can really sympathise. Not very cool leaving meetings (or romantic anniversary dinners) to spew. I've been taking Maxalon (that's the Australian brand name) to calm it down, and that works really, really well. It made me a bit dopey initially, but now I'm more used to it. I don't travel without it, even for a couple of hours.

I found that caffeine was the main trigger. Even now if I have a coffee, I'd be projectile vomiting within 30-45 mins. Maybe that's something she could consider cutting out? The withdrawals were a bit hard, but there are quite good substitutes, like dandelion root coffee.

Re: Anyone throw up in a flare up? Yep. Very uncool. new
      #1869 - 03/04/03 08:29 AM
Karin

Jo: She gave up coffee first thing. It is one of my main triggers so I advised her to give it up immediately. Sometimes I wonder if coffee isn't more of an actual IBS disorder trigger in itself. I didn't drink coffee until they came out with mocha drinks, which meant I was a lot older (her and I both were diagnosed by different doctors in different towns at exactly the same time which is really strange). She started drinking coffee in college and now she has IBS worse than I do now. Interesting concept, but no help in the treating the disorder once you have it!

soooo nauseous new
      #1907 - 03/04/03 05:07 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I get terribly nauseous during my worst attacks, I hate it. I also tend to be mildly nauseous at different points during the day. My Dr gave me phenergan which helps with the bad nausea but tends to knock me out. Wouldn't take it if you have to drive somewhere.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#1954 - 03/05/03 11:41 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Karin -

I am in the same boat as your daughter. I don't always vomit during my flare-ups, but I have a few times. I have IBS-D as well. I mostly get the terrible "D" so badly that my stomach feels completely empty when I am done.

I was wondering if I was alone in this situation - but it a wierd way - it's comforting to know what happens to be other people share!

Give your daughter my very best! I will be thinking about her!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#2350 - 03/10/03 11:26 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Boy, oh boy, can I relate with your daughter!! I am 21 and in my senior year of college(4th year actually, looks like another semester or two till I graduate) and the absolute WORST symptoms I experience during a flare-up is simultaneous vomiting and diarrhea. Every few months or so, when I get a really bad flare-up (Most are due to stress I believe...others due to hormones, I tend to vomit/ have heavy D alot around my period), I have to keep a plastic bag next to the toilet! There's nothing worse than having things coming out in two directions! Eww, I'm sorry for the details. But anyways, I totally feel for your daughter, and let her know others are in the same boat.

Let me tell you though, you are already a big help to your daughter in just trying to understand -- sometimes I wish my parents could only begin to know what it's like to have IBS. Last year when I had a REALLY bad flare-up, so bad that I was crying for days, I called my mom and she just went on about how it's probably PMS and how hers has gotten worse with age and blah blah blah....She seriously does not get it. That was the last time I tried to get any consolation out of my family. Thank God my boyfriend is a saint. Plus he sees me crippled up on the bathroom floor during the attacks...Anyhow, enough with the rambling...

From one stressed out college student to another, tell your daughter to hang in there! God bless.

-Chemegurrl

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#5833 - 04/11/03 06:06 PM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Hi Karin~

I also throw up when I have a bad flare up. I also have diarrhea and constipation. The two times I can remember vomiting a lot was when I was in the hospital and had to drink some dye mixed with juice before a CT scan and I had the worst attack ever. They couldn't get the vomiting to stop. Even called in two different doctors and finally one of them found something to give me through my IV that helped. It was so awful because I had so much of the vomiting and diarrhea. I had no idea what I drank would cause an attack, but I will never forget it. Another time was when I ate a salad with my meal at a steak house and I knew on my way home it was going to be bad and it was. I vomited most of the night. I've had IBS for several years, but just in the last two have I started the vomiting. Other times I'm just very nauseous and have pain and lots of cramping. I'm so sorry for what you and your daughter have gone through. It can be so depressing at times. I wish you both the very best.

#5834 - 04/11/03 06:42 PM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Yep - I call for Eric and he knows to bring me a fan, and a bucket. Hugs to your daughter.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

#5841 - 04/11/03 09:59 PM
Karin

Thank you all for the information. She is in college, which you know makes things really bad when you factor in the stress. She is IBS-A (I am D), so it's hard for me to relate to some of her problems. I wish I could take it away for her, it's easier as I'm a stay at home "person" now that the kids are gone. Thanks again!

#5842 - 04/11/03 10:43 PM
tls

Reged: 03/28/03

Hi,when my daughter throws up unfortunately we have 3+ hour stretches if she is in flare up. I find, I have to let her completely get it out of her system before I do anything ie: bread. When she throws up, telling her to focus on relaxing her back muscles and calming breaths helps. Once calm then bread and sips of drink has helped. Lying on cold floor, and lots of rest and relaxation that day. She is now on Zantac which stops her from throwing up, although she has not had a flare up since she started the meds and diet, I am still uneasy about taking daily meds in one so young (71/2). Good luck, and give focusing on something a try, its not easy but very calming.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2270

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review