All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Question for the C people
      #185691 - 06/11/05 10:56 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

First, let me tell you I am a C person, usually! When, or if, you guys get episodes of D, do you take something for it, like Imodium or Kaopectate? Or do you let it run it's course?

I have had one major stressful week and I think that it has all escalated into a full blown D attack today. I am leery to take anything for it for fear of a rebound worse C week ahead of me. But I can't stop going this liquid diarrhea.

I need to walk to a grocery store and get some food into this apartment, but I am scared to leave my bathroom and also quite weak from my all this D and liquid loss. Plus it's so hot the loss of liquids is especially worrisome. But really have little in the way of safe D food as I am usually a C! Plus I need some food period.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For the C people new
      #185695 - 06/11/05 11:13 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

As you know, I'm not a D person, but I think I can offer up a couple of suggestions. Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well by the way, but I'm almost glad that you're finally getting rid of all that stool.

Do you have any bananas to eat? How about some potatoes or rice? Generally when I'm experiencing loose stool, bananas will solidify things for me pretty quickly. The reason I asked about the potatoes and rice, at least for me, they have more of a tendancy to keep things more solid by themselves. Also, you need to keep drinking lots of water or tea or both. I'm sure you know this, but the more D you have the less hydrated you get, which in turn can cause you to have more D.

I can't tell you for sure what's going to be the right thing to do, but if I were in your situation, I would stay away from the meds to help relieve your symptoms... at least until you've exhausted all other options.

Good luck Beth! I hope I've helped at least a little.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Rachel! new
      #185703 - 06/11/05 11:36 AM
Augie

So good to see you, mommy!

Thanks for the advice. I think I tend to favor the food approach too. I know how my body reacts to Imodium...tend t be C for weeks then and harder to get out of it.

Unfortanetly no bananans in the apartment. Hey, that was a song. "Yes, we have no bananas, we have no bananas today..."
But I have some white rice. I do need to get to a grocery store for some bananas which I never usually eat for the same reason as you...and potatoes tend to bother me too. I pray I don't have an "accident" on the walk. And hopefully, they will have some ripe ones I can eat today! They tend to carry more of the green ones.

Thanks about telling me about not drinking enough causing worse diarrhea. I never knew that. I knew it threw off the electrolytes, but didn't know about the worsening D.

Thanks Rachel. Good to see you on the eating board! You have been very helpful.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Rachel! new
      #185707 - 06/11/05 11:44 AM
RachelT

Well, I'm glad I could help! Good luck on your walk. Oh and if all they have is green, even though they don't taste as good (another one of my opinions) it should still prove to be helpful. Remember, the riper the banana, the more helpful for C... it would only make sense then, that the less ripe, the better for D.

Let me know how you do!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

One more question new
      #185708 - 06/11/05 11:47 AM
Augie

Do sweet potatoes have the same effect for you (cause you to be a little more C), or were you only refering to white potatoes?

Good point about the bananas. Yeah, the green ones taste bitter and leave a nasty after taste, but could be beneficial probably. We'll see what they have, if I can make it out the door. (she says as she heads to the bathroom).

thanks again.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: For the C people new
      #185714 - 06/11/05 12:05 PM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi there,
My advice would be to enjoy a banana to slow the D down, and also to replenish some of the lost Potassium stores. Drink lots of soothing herbal teas, Peppermint and Chamomile are very soothing for D. Also, plain broth is also very soothing on the system when it is under stress. If you are worried about loss of liquid and you are near a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, try the Smart H20. They are simply regular H20 infused with electrolytes! Good luck and take care!

Re: Question for the C people new
      #185715 - 06/11/05 12:08 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

You poor thing!!!

I am most certainly a C person and have NEVER had an episode of D, unless you count when I've taken too much magnesium and the stools are practically liquid - but there is still no urgency or running to the bathroom.

That said, I know what makes me more C, so I would probably just try those things - for me: bananas, acacia, white rice, potatoes. Basically everything Rachel said. I wouldn't try the Immodium as it could make you more C when the D finally clears up.

Good luck!!!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: One more question new
      #185719 - 06/11/05 12:14 PM
RachelT

I honestly can't say for sure if they have the same effect or not. I can't seem to enjoy sweet potatoes much, so I hardly ever eat them. If that's all that you can tolerate (I'm assuming that you're referring to your gluten intolerance) then give them a try... I don't think it would hurt any. Besides, they are listed as a good soluble fiber food, for both C & D.

Wish I could think of something immediate, at least to get you out the door. Try the potatoes or like someone else suggested, the broth. Maybe you could mix some cooked white rice in with the broth... kind of like a rice soup.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#185722 - 06/11/05 12:30 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

When i have my D episodes (about once a month, for a day or 2) I let it run its course. It feels so nice to be empty. i feel skinny!

But I hear ya on the proper foods...I think you should go, and bring a bottle of tepid water with you, and just ask as soon as you get to the store where the bathroom is. I had a D attack last Sunday, at the grocery store, and had to park my cart in the bakery. how embarrassing. but when we have to go we have to go!!

Hope you get regular soon!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#185749 - 06/11/05 06:10 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Beth, I'm a D person. Definitely get some Immodium and also PEDIALYTE. You sound as though your electrolytes are way off.
This is dangerous. You need, and I STRESS need to get your electrolytes balanced, i.e. get some SODIUM in you. Pedialyte or Gastrolyte will assist with this and Immodium will stop the
D. You sound like you're really dehydrated.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1971 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3555

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review