All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Beth/White Rice Pastas
      #185676 - 06/11/05 09:01 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I was at a local Farmer's Market early this morning--aren't they wonderful this time of year?! I find tons of white rice/gf pastas--most readily available rice pastas are brown, I find. I thought you might be interested. Are there any markets or gourmet pasta shops you could order white rice based noodles from? Sorry to bother you. I'm just a noodle lover and the brown ones really trigger an attack for me personally. Hope all is improving.

Wind (Kate, IBS-D)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Rice noodles new
      #185693 - 06/11/05 11:07 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Awe, aren't you sweet for thinking of me. Thanks Wind. I am unable to go to a farmers market. For some reason, they have them on Wednesday mornings by me and I am at work. Would make more sense to have them on the weekend.
I didn't realize they had pasta at these things. Ours usually only have produce, baked goods, and flowers. I don't think I have been to one in ages.

I don't know about gourmet shops around here either. I do eat brown rice pasta...I'm sorry they cause an attack for you. Is this common for other people as well????

Am I better off sticking to white rice noodles even though I am usually a C person? Can brown rice noodles be considered a safe SF base? I usually eat them with cooked squash or pumpkin, which are definitely SF. So, I thought this combination would be safe???

I would love some input. The brown rice noodles also contain some rice bran in additon to the ground brown rice. I think since it is a smooth texture, unlike the husky brown rice grain, it would be safe to eat alone???

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Rice noodles new
      #185761 - 06/11/05 06:40 PM
Wind

Personally I find brown rice noodles and brown rice too harsh for me, but I'm a D. I like your pumpkin/squash combination.
It's up to you to decide your comfort level re: brown or white. White is what works for me. More than a quarter cup of the brown and I'm nervous and rumbling and I don't like to hug the toilet. I just like "finding" new sources! Most grocery stores around here offer a proliferation of brown rice pastas and so few white rice pastas that it's fun coming across a gf find. They also had sweet potatoe noodles, corn noodles, pea noodles...what can I say? I'm a noodle lover. They "stick" to me, i.e. keep my gastro-colic reflex in check, energize me, and are great sf that you can funk up with a sauce that you can eat and eat and eat...Yes, I'm full of noodles as I write! They constipate me and clean me out at the same time, i.e. give me more solid "dumps" versus liquid and don't give me gas, indigestion, bloating, explosive diarrhea. Wind the noodle monster!!! Somedays, my legs feel like wet noodles. I made an asparagus/spinach/sweet basil green sauce and ate it with the noodles and a big roasted mushroom salad.

Wind, are you from the US new
      #185763 - 06/11/05 06:48 PM
Augie

Have you ever found sweet potato noodles in a grocery store in the US? Or at Whole foods? They sound scrumptious!

How did you make your sauce and mushroom salad? They both sound like yummy ideas too! I presume it it cooked veggies you used for the sauce? Or raw?....

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Wind, are you from the US new
      #185767 - 06/11/05 06:57 PM
Wind

No, Beth; I'm Canadian and reside in Waterloo, Ontario. Are you American?

Yep, live in south suburbs of Chicago Illinois new
      #185768 - 06/11/05 07:02 PM
Augie

and hate it! Maybe I should move to Canada. You guys seem to have better food, more access to organic produce and cheaper prices for organics.

Our organic produce and chicken is like 3 times the price of fertilized crap! And you can only get it at special stores miles away!

Sounds like you guys have better farmers markets and yummy sweet potato noodles too! Hey, want a room mate???

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Green sauce and mushroom salad new
      #185769 - 06/11/05 07:13 PM
Wind

Re: Asparagus/Spinach/Sweet basil Green Sauce

1. Cook asparagus for a few minutes or until tender. Then add fresh baby spinach and herbs (dill is nice too or sweet basil). After the spinach goes in, stir, then cover and turn off the pot within a minute. The spinach is basically cooked in a few seconds. Use as much or as little as you like. I personally really like spinach and cooked it agrees with me. Puree this green sauce in the blender, adding a little veg. broth to get the thickness or consistency you like, at high speed. Serve with noodle/pasta/potatoes/rice/quinoa or whatever. I might enhance the flavour of this with a little dijon mustard/balsalmic vinegar--just a few drops--or lemon. A little lemon rind in the green sauce is nice, too. Often I toss the noodles with a little Nakano seasoned rice vinegar.
(just 1-2 tsp.)

Roasted Mushroom Salad

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Pam spray a baking pan filled with whatever kind of mushrooms you're in the mood for and as many, too. Season with sea salt, herbs (I like herbs de provence) and roast. Some mushrooms take longer. Mixing mushroom types is neat too for contrast.
3. It's usually done within half an hour at this temp. Eat as a salad. You can put it on a bed of as much or as little mesculn/spring mix or skip that part. Toss with your favourite safe vinaigrette, i.e. Fatfree Italian or your own dijon based creation, or just lemon/basalmic dressing. Give it a Thai twist with seasoned rice vinegar and lime juice. A pure sf salad, unless you give it optional spring mix.

#185772 - 06/11/05 07:22 PM
Augie

Dumb question, but do you cook the veggies in a saucepan with water? I usually use frozen veggies so I don't know how to cook fresh ones.

Also, is the basil fresh or dried? And the one you put on the mushroom is from the spice aisle, right?

These sound wonderful. Once I have access to a car again, I'll be able to go buy some of this stuff.

--------------------
~ Beth

and good for you ... new
      #185775 - 06/11/05 07:29 PM
Augie

for being able to eat raw mesculin and spring mix! I'm a C person and I can't even do raw greens! Especially lettuce!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Yep, live in south suburbs of Chicago Illinois new
      #185776 - 06/11/05 07:30 PM
Wind

From everyone I've chatted with, that seems to be the general consensus! I guess we Canadians have better prices and more availability.

You're a sweetie, Beth. However, I must have my solitude, my aloneness. I co-own a house in the burbs with my mother who strangely enough is my best friend now that I'm thirty and she's almost sixty. Our driveway is full. It's nice, also, to have someone so nearby to assist with emergencies and goodness knows I've saved her life at least twice--she broke some ribs over the winter and I found her unconscious after she slipped in the tub. She also survived cervical and uterine cancer three years ago. Her pitstops for Immodium are small potatoes.

Re: and good for you ... new
      #185778 - 06/11/05 07:37 PM
Wind

Next week, I'm omitting lettuce. It cleans me out too much these days as it's the hot season and I'm extra D prone. Cooked greens are fine for me, but the raw lettuce makes my stool to watery. Now that I've finished my raw greens, I'm going to take a hiatus from the lettuce. I sold my sprouter last weekend at a yard sale as the sprouter were causing too many bathroom trips. I feel guilty re: wasting food. So, if I don't use it, I give it away. Or, I cook and freeze. No more salad for quite awhile--it makes my poos too soupy.
I'm just in the habit from being a former raw vegan to eat raw leafies everyday, but my body is saying, "NO THANKS." So, I shall listen and honour that. The mushrooms work though. Magick mushroom salad. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but if I had dessert it would be an sf salad like this. Beet salads are good too. Or carrot salads.

#185781 - 06/11/05 07:44 PM
Wind

I use fresh veggies and just put them in a sauce pan or pot with a small amount of water and sea salt. You can adjust the cooking time easily for frozen veggies. I use fresh sweet basil as its just on my window sill, but you can use dried too. Spinach/green bean is another great combination. I got this idea from the Fatfree.com website. This second combination is delicious with new potatoes. I hate tomatoes, so I'm always seeking tomatoe free alternatives. The green sauces are really fast and easy and cheap whether fresh or frozen. They are nutrient packed and versatile. Zucchini is another great thickener/addition. Asparagus gives it a sort of "pea" like flavour. You can also swirl these into egg white omelettes or other creations. Baked potatoe patties, crepes...perogies.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3472 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review