All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Red meat
      #185497 - 06/10/05 11:54 AM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

it says in the IBS diet guidelines to elimate red meat from your diet..but then it says this doesant mean you cant ever eat this stuff again...would it be ok to eat like maybe a little bit of ham,or hamburger ever now and then?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Red meat new
      #185512 - 06/10/05 12:22 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

I eat chicken most of the time and when I am out in public, just to be safe. But occasionally I do eat a small amount of red meat. I go to the Butcher's shop and ask for the leanest red hamburger meat and I seem to do fine with it. Also, on occasion I have gotten a Whataburger Jr. and done okay with it. Of course I do not eat them alone, I make sure I have a good soluble source of fiber such as oven baked french fries, or a baked sweet potatoe.

I know that it is not only the fat in the red meat but also the proteins that are hard for us to digest, but the leanest red meat is okay for me, so I personally must not have much trouble with the proteins.

As for ham, I just would not try ham at all. It is high in fat, as well as, other things such as sodium and nitrites and other preservatives that just aren't good for you.

Try red meat on a day when you wouldn't mind possibly getting sick and see how it goes.

#185596 - 06/10/05 04:16 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Try the "What to eat if you can't eat anything" diet and add meat. See what happens, cause everybody is different.

~nelly~

#185617 - 06/10/05 07:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I eat a bite or two of steak now and again with a safe meal. I think red meat tends to cause C pretty bad and is so hard to break down all in all. But it doesn't seem like it would cause an attack (unless very fatty) per se. But everytime you cheat you compromise your tummy's smooth workings and chance making it go over the edge to being "fussy" again.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#185619 - 06/10/05 07:58 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Kemi, I love the new pic by the way.

Anymore, beef scares the crap out me...literally. *lol* I think my system's probably always been a little IBSy, but things haven't been the same since I had some bad Chinese beef & brocolli late last fall. One minute I was fine. Five seconds later...OMG. Couldn't even wait for the light to change. It was liquid. TMI. Just awful. I strongly suspect food poisoning was involved as well. Anyway...

However, lean pork chops don't bother me, nor does a little ham. I can also tolerate venison fairly well.

Just be careful, and like someone else said, try a little red meat only if you have the time to not be well, just in case.

I don't dare... but its a HUGE trigger for me... new
      #185649 - 06/11/05 06:50 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

personally I haven't had red meat in years and the last time it caused an immediate attack.. but thats me... others are less sensitive and with a good buffer of SF and a safe meal otherwise can handle a small amount...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#185651 - 06/11/05 07:18 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

have you tried ground turkey as a sub for ground beef? it is really good. My boyfriend actually likes it better and he is a red meat man lol. You could make yourself a burger with it or shell's turkey meatloaf recipe is our fav

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#185652 - 06/11/05 07:24 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

It used to be that whenever I ate red meat, my stomach would just ache for the rest of the night. And of course IBS flares the next day or 2.

But, and this has been over a year ago at least, I was craving steak so bad so I went out to eat and got a filet mignon kabob. I figured it was one of the most tender cuts so it would be the easiest to digest (at least in my warped mind! LOL). Plus it came with rice (SF) and I took a fiber supplement before I ate. I didn't have any problems that night or later. But, I don't like to push my luck so haven't done it again - but can't say I never will!

BTW, I'm not recommending this, just relating my experience.

Kemi, new
      #185694 - 06/11/05 11:10 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

In my experience, I've never had a problem at all with red meat. BUT I only eat filet cuts of steak and pork-the most tendeer, lean cuts. I also do eat extra lean ground beef from time to time and it has never been a problem that I was aware of.

That being said, I generally lean toward being a veggie. I eat chicken the most, and very rarely eat red meat at all.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

thanks yall new
      #185794 - 06/11/05 08:53 PM
Kemi

its so hard to elimate all these foods!!!i know you guys feel my pain!~!ive messed up over the last week big time!i ate a hole oreo pie,half pan of browines,diary free cheesecake the hole thing!and a choc pudding banana pie!!all in a week!i know im going to be feeling the pain shortly:(its so hard to stay away from sweets!so hard!!i need to eat healthy but how?how do you guys do it?i might try some red meat just a tiny bit,

Kemi new
      #185811 - 06/12/05 02:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd wait on try the red meat until you're feeling really stable (ie. haven't been overdoing it or cheating!). Otherwise you won't know whether you can tolerate small amounts or not.

Thats very true! new
      #185949 - 06/13/05 06:00 AM
Kemi

Quote:

I'd wait on try the red meat until you're feeling really stable (ie. haven't been overdoing it or cheating!). Otherwise you won't know whether you can tolerate small amounts or not.

#186291 - 06/14/05 12:38 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Red meat's not a trigger for me, tho other board members have had problems with it. It's one of my staples as I limit my fruit and veg intake... The fiber just KILLS me!

I eat a lot of steak and pork, chicken, pasta, rice, flat sprite, herbal tea and decaf coffee, mashed potato flakes, and can tolerate mayo and fats pretty fine. Lucky, I guess! But I can't have fruit or vegs unless they're green vegs and are overcooked to a pulpy mass. Dairy of all kinds and soy is completely out of the question!

It's the diet that's kept me stable and also kept me able to cheat occasionally too! Good luck finding your diet--

~nelly~

It IS hard, Kemi! new
      #186545 - 06/15/05 04:47 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I know, I'm going through the same thing! I eat SOOOO well all day and then dinnertime, I always have at least ONE cheat. Why? Jeez, I know the C, the bloat, the pain...and somethimes the D.....why bother??? We've been eating out lately a lot, that's my excuse. Weak.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1337

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review