All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-C & Acacia: Poll
      #185287 - 06/09/05 05:48 PM
badlydrawnboy

Reged: 03/01/05

I'd like to ask a few questions of all you IBS-C folks that are taking Acacia.

1. What is your current dosage?

2. How long did it take you to build up to that dosage?

3. At what dose did you begin to experience relief from constipation (if at all)?

4. Any tips and tricks to offer?

Thanks,
Chris

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-C & Acacia: Poll new
      #185338 - 06/10/05 05:57 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I'm taking 18-20 grams a day broken into 3 2 1/2t doses (I take my Acacia before each meal. It took me approximately 3-4 months to get to this dose because I would only increase my doses 1/2t at a time and stay there for three or four weeks before increasing again. I felt relief from my bloating and gas almost immediately, but the constipation relief began in earnest after about six weeks.

I added supplements one at a time. When I started the Acacia I began to very vigilant about my water intake as I drank almost none beofore. After a month of just Acacia, I added a calcium/magnesium 2:1 ratio supplement. Another month passed and I added a good probiotic. I waited about three or four months before adding some digestive enzymes, but stopped those as they interfered with some other medicine I was taking. A couple of months went by, and I decided to try a good Omega 3 blend.

So, today, almost 18 months since I found this site, I take Acacia, cal/mag, Omega 3 before each meal and a good probiotic once a day. I drink plenty of water and eat plenty of IF. Eating enough IF has helped a huge amount too! I'm almost completely stable and only notice bloating/cramping and C onset if I don't get enough sleep or get really stressed about something. I will always be a bit on the "airish" side because of my IBS, but it is much better now than it was!

I have a prescription for Rubinol (antispasmodic) for emergencies. Hope this helps!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: IBS-C & Acacia: Poll new
      #185354 - 06/10/05 06:29 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

1. Current dosage is a heaping tablespoonful (a.k.a. one Citrucel scoop ) twice daily: once when I get up, and once with dinner.

2. I was already a regular (or not so regular) Citrucel user before I got the acacia, so I probably started off at 2 teaspoons and worked my way up to a tablespoon plus twice a day in a month or so.

3. Acacia's biggest effect for me was stopping my constant low-level nausea and rumbling belly. Oh, and it keeps me from having as many D attacks as I used to, and it can stop D pretty quickly for me. I think it did ease my C a bit, but mainly because it allows me to eat more IF.

4. I don't have any acacia tips and tricks, outside of always mixing it with a little bit of tepid water before adding hot water to it (for peppermint tea, for example).

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 367

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review