All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
2 Questions for C'ers
      #185008 - 06/09/05 07:36 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hi all - hope your tummies are treating you well.

I've got 2 questions:

1) How many grams of SFS are you taking a day? I'd like to get an idea of how much I should be trying to work up to. I'm at 12.5g right now.

2) If you take miralax, how many grams do you take a day (The little line on the cap of the bottle is 17g and a capfull is about 23g)? Once again, I'd like to see how I measure up.

Thanks!!!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 2 Questions for C'ers new
      #185017 - 06/09/05 07:50 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

1) How many grams of SFS are you taking a day? I'd like to get an idea of how much I should be trying to work up to. I'm at 12.5g right now. I won't be much help here, but I stopped taking an SFS when I discovered I did better without. But when I was taking it, I usually had about a Tbsp of Benefiber a day (not sure what the grams would be on this one).

2) If you take miralax, how many grams do you take a day (The little line on the cap of the bottle is 17g and a capfull is about 23g)? Once again, I'd like to see how I measure up. I haven't been using it during my pregnancy, but when I was, I was only filling it up to the line. Once per day was all it took for me, but I've seen others say that they take it twice per day. One note though... it was much more beneficial for me to take it with at least 16oz of cranberry juice/water and then immediately followed by another 16 oz of water. If I didn't get that much liquid intake right away, I didn't go that day.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#185033 - 06/09/05 08:20 AM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I'm taking 2 doses per day right now of the miralax...one doesn't always do it for me. One in the morning I sometimes fill a bit past the line and the one at night is either right at the line or just below. Depends on how backed up I feel.

Jessica

#185060 - 06/09/05 08:57 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

1. I use something like 15-18 g of soluble fiber a day. Half in the morning, half with dinner, all acacia.

2. Don't use it - sorry!

--AC

I have read posts that say acacia... new
      #185078 - 06/09/05 09:23 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

seems to work better for D folks. Maybe it's the calcium in it that has the constipating effect?

You don't have that problem?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I have read posts that say acacia... new
      #185250 - 06/09/05 03:40 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I seem to be in a research mood this evening. I took at look at Khyricat's post about calcium in acacia. She says there are:
Quote:

670mg per 100g of powder of Calcium

So, a little math. 25 grams of acacia would be 10 teaspoons. That would contain 167.5 mg of calcium (670/4). I suppose it's possible that could be constipating, but it seems like an awfully low dose of calcium to have a dramatic effect.

I wonder if the problem some Cers have with acacia is not that it IS constipating, but that it is NOT stimulating. I haven't done any kind of detailed check of who is reporting what, but the two IBS-C people who recently said they use just acacia - AstroChick (great Board name) and BamaGirl (another great Board name, but then I'm originally from Alabama, so I'm biased) - also seem to report eating a lot of IF.

Acacia is pure SF, so it gives you that gel-like substance in the gut, which is great for D AND for C because it eases those nasty spasms. But SF does NOT tell the gut to "hurry along now" - which is great for D, but not so great for C. As I understand it, that's where IF comes in - it tells the gut to "move along". So maybe IBS-C people who are able to get a lot of IF from food do well with acacia, while IBS-C people who are - have to be - more cautious around IF in food don't do as well with acacia. Maybe for them, a SFS that has more IF in it (like Metamucil) is better because it gives them more of the IF they don't get from food.

Just a thought.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I'm around 18-20 grams of Acacia. Almost completely stable! -nt- new
      #185335 - 06/10/05 05:34 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

my meditation on IBS-C new
      #185358 - 06/10/05 06:37 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, I'm C, but the part of IBS that really bugs me is the stress-related D attacks. Acacia helps loads with that, but on its own it doesn't solve my C.

My C is pretty much gone these days for the first time in my life (!), but there's a lot that goes into that: Heather's diet, acacia, making sure I get magnesium with my calcium, soy yogurt & probiotics, getting insolubles at every meal, hypnotherapy, lots of warm liquids, and exercise. Put all in one sentence, that sounds pretty intimidating, but I added things in slowly. Plus, they're things that are good for you anyway, and have positive benefits outside of the IBS relief.

In fact, the reason I've been gone from the boards recently is that IBS has been almost absent from my life! I've had a couple of small D attacks (given the amount of stress in my life lately, I wasn't surprised), so I needed a refresher...

--AC

I thought... new
      #185361 - 06/10/05 06:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...that all it was was that it's one of the most gentle SFSs around and some C's find they need the harshness of, say, psyllium to keep things moving.

As an A, I get worse D AND C if I miss some Acacia doses. If anything, the C gets worse faster than the D.

Thanks for all your help! -nt- new
      #185420 - 06/10/05 09:23 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2612 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1956

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review