All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Maintaining a healthy weight
      #184484 - 06/07/05 07:20 PM
Bemmom

Reged: 06/07/05

My 23-year old daughter has many of the symptoms of IBS. Quite on her own, in order to avoid pain and discomfort, she has adopted a diet very similar to the IBS diet you suggest. However, her weight is too low to maintain her monthly periods. She is especially sensitive to fats, so eats a very low fat diet. Do you have any recommendations on how to maintain a healthy weight while avoiding IBS symptoms? Thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Maintaining a healthy weight new
      #184492 - 06/07/05 08:00 PM
Alli32

Reged: 03/24/05

Hi Bemmom. Welcome to the boards. I hit a really bad cycle of IBS when I was your daughter's age (only about 4 years ago) and I lost lots of weight b/c I wasn't eating much. This diet, while low fat, has plenty of food that your daughter can eat to increase her weight. First, once she stabalizes, she'll feel much better and will likely be able to eat more (at least that is what happened to me). Second, Heather has great bread and cake recipies that should definitely boost your daughter's calorie intake. I love the pumpkin bread and chocolate peppermint cake and almost everyone swears by the anti-depressant brownies ("adb"). Certainly with all the carbs you can eat on this diet, she should be able to gain weight provided there aren't other issues going on. You should check out the recipe board for all the fabulous IBS safe food choices. Good luck.

Re: Maintaining a healthy weight new
      #184503 - 06/07/05 09:55 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'd second everything Alli said. I'd also just add that eating *often* is something that really helps me get enough food in each day (and stay stable, for that matter). I generally have some food every two or three hours or so (either meals or snacks). If I find myself need to eat more, I tend to have just a little bit more at each meal, that way my stomach isn't bombarded by a whole new meal or one really big meal, etc.

And also gaining weight usually isn't about adding in really fatty or sugary foods - it's easier (and healthier) to do by just eating MORE. That said, sugary foods can help because they're high in calories (as are high fat foods, but obviously those are out!)...but sugarry foods can also make your blood sugar go up and down like mad, so they definitely shouldn't play a huge role in a weight-gain diet.

It's definitely possible to gain weight on this diet despite it being so low fat (note though, that the aim should not be *no* fat).

Hope that helps, and wish her best of luck from me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 467

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review