All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Newbie with Colon Blow
      #184185 - 06/07/05 07:13 AM
serpentes3

Reged: 06/07/05

Greetings! I am new to the message board, although I have been reading along for support for many months now. I have been challenged with ibs-d for about 10 years along with my more recent challenge, diabetes type 1.5. I will begin with only a few questions:D 1)Has anyone found that eating too late in the evening leads to D in the am? 2)Has anyone found anything helpful in preventing am D? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome new
      #184257 - 06/07/05 09:21 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome to the site, I hope you find some useful info here. You should be able to take in quite a bit just by reading about the diet, etc.

As for your questions, I do find that if I eat certain things at night that I am sure to get D the next morning. I have to avoid trigger foods all the time, but it is especially important at night time. I make sure that I eat a safe dinner, and that if I do eat anything after dinner it's not going to cause any trouble in there.
Drinking herbal teas at night can also help calm the belly down... Cammomile is good before bed. Peppermint and fennel are also really good for helping with cramping, bloating and D.

For preventing D, this is what I do...
-Stick to the diet. Avoid all trigger foods.
-Drink lots of water and herbal teas, especially peppermint and fennel
-Take my medication regularly.. I find that if I miss doses, I can have an attack.
-If I really want to make sure I won't get a D attack, I take immodium
-SFS taken regularly can help to prevent D as well.
-Stress management - yoga, hypnotherapy, etc.
-Get enough sleep - if I get really tired, my stomach will get mad at me without fail.

Hope this helps!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Welcome new
      #184456 - 06/07/05 06:06 PM
serpentes3

Reged: 06/07/05

Many Thanks for your suggestions!I am still working on how to utilize the diet correctly (with diabetes).So far the only thing that has worked fairly well for me is my good friend Immodium. As a maternity nurse it has (literally)been a life saver! I am not sure, but I beleive that SFS may increase my symptoms-still working on that one.

Re: Newbie with Colon Blow new
      #184478 - 06/07/05 07:10 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

D is a problem in the a.m. for most of us D-ers. i've found that fiber supplements before bed do wonders. Try the acacia fiber especially, it's good stuff.

Re: Welcome new
      #184613 - 06/08/05 09:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

SFSs shouldn't increase your sypmtoms at all as long as you introduce them slowly. I found Acacia very gentle btw. And Immodium as a preventative (ie. taken everyday) is great for getting you on track.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 850

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review