All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How long does it take you to feel "normal" after an attack?
      #183621 - 06/05/05 08:54 AM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

No one probably remembers me bec. I have not been here for so long,but I'm back and so glad you are still here.
I have not been here in months bec. I have been able to deal fairly well w/how I was feeling,just kind of putting up w/those infrequent flareups.
Now I am noticing that when I do flare,it takes me too long to get back on my feet.This morning I did a search about fatigue and am relieved to see that many of you are dealing w/this too(altho I am sorry you are burdened w/this too).
I have had a real bad week tummy wise and almost feel like I am starting all over again.That not fun feeling of having a watermelon in my tummy is painful and debilatating.
Last week was crazy,w/my nephew's wedding and company,late nts. and house full of guests,but I did think that after a week I could get back to normal.
I have been noticing that over the last 2 months when I've had an attack the fatigue lasts at least a week. I wonder if that is normal???
Any one have any ideas or just sympathy to share,I'd realy appreciate it.
I am so glad to have come back and find the words of comfort,and connection due to our similar dilemnas. Thank you all for still being here. Suzy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How long does it take you to feel "normal" after an attack? new
      #183623 - 06/05/05 08:58 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Haha I dont think I ever feel normal! I have IBS-C so I rarely deal with the D attacks anymore. When you said something about the watermelon in your stomach.. I totally know what you mean! I feel like sometimes people might think that I am pregnant because I am so bloated! If you need to talk I am here. Hope you feel better.

#183648 - 06/05/05 10:43 AM
Su

Thank you so much for your response. Yeah "normal" begins to feel like something other folks have and I can get frustrated that others cannot understand.
I am C too and when it gets too bad I can almost wish I was D,but then I read their posts and change my mind.
I am going out in a few minutes to buy myself a new pair of capri pants that are BIG in the waist,for these days of bloatedness. Since it is now getting hot here,I need to be more prepared for these bad days. Suzy

#183654 - 06/05/05 11:02 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You're not getting joint aches and pains too, are you? I have Fibro along with IBS and the aches and fatigue that went with IBS attacks were my first major fibro symptoms.

Also, make sure you get enough protein, lots of water and whatever fruit and veg you can eat safely. Avoid too much sugar and eat lots of little meals, frequently.

#183681 - 06/05/05 01:11 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Su,

1. Once, I ate half a watermelon--I made watermelon soup and it was so good. Watermelon sorbet is divine, too in the summer. That night, I started dreaming I was stargazing in a canoe in the Amazon river. I woke up in a pool of my own urine!

2. I know, this post isn't about watermelons. Regarding how long it takes me to recover from an attack? Less than 24 hours. Thirty six at the most. The worst attack I ever had, personally was in response to psyllium. Generally, I stick to the diet vigilantly and ease in the vegetables--no raw whatsoever and no spices. Sometimes, I confess, I sneak in a few too many green things. It's terrible, but now I bring my own food just about everywhere I go or if it's a restaurant just eat plain steamed white rice to avoid food related attacks.

3. Don't let it bring your self-esteem down, though re: the pants/summer, etc. BE A SURVIVOR of IBS.

#183726 - 06/05/05 03:16 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It takes me about 72 hours to feel normal after an attack. (I'm IBS-D and bloating is not a big issue for me.)

As for the fatigue, I'd just add to the other suggestions here that you make sure you're not low on iron. It seems like a lot of the vegetables that are high in iron are more difficult to digest, so it's tempting to leave them off the menu. I certainly have and it turns out my red blood count is just a hair low. And I've definitely been feeling horribly fatigued recently.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#183881 - 06/06/05 08:09 AM
Su

Hi Linz,
Thanks for the advice. I have wondered about Fibro,but am hoping this is just from overdoing it...altho. I often see what I am doing physically as acceptable for someone my age. Sometimes I feel like my body is 10 yrs. older than me. I am only 56 and it seems I should be able to be up and active most of the day.
I have thought that maybe having IBS can have the affect of lessening my strength.
Anyway,as far as muscle pain,I have carpal tunnel,but if I use my braces at nt. it usually isn't a problem. The last 6mos. I've been having pain in one hip that really puts me to bed,but only when I am on my feet all day or do too much exercising,or walking long distances.
Last Fri. I met w/my dr. and she is having me tested for diabetes,thyroid problems,and liver trouble.She also scheduled an xray of my hip.
Hope all this turns out to be just that I need to accept I am getting older and need to slow down...even tho. that seems unjust.
Please let me know if any of what I have said here seems like a red flag to you. I appreciate your input. Suzy

Just keep it in mind... new
      #183887 - 06/06/05 08:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...as it sounds like your doc is doing all the right things. If nothing is found then suggest it if he/she doesn't.

Fyi tho, I've seen alot of people with fibro have carpal...and my hips are my worst joints!

#183889 - 06/06/05 08:27 AM
Su

Thanks for sharing the info about watermelon w/me. Sounds like you really love it. I do too but have been afraid to try it since finding out about the IBS.
I am pretty careful almost all the time about what I eat unless I get too tired and hungry to be vigilant.
I think I folloed all the rules this weekend except once.At one of the parties there was a buffet and I had veggies that could have been fried...plus they were peppers and onions..not a good choice for me.
I know that all the tension and company and being up late were major factors. I often can get an attack due to such things. Tension is my worst enemy.
The thing that really is bothersome is that it is taking me 5-6 days to recover from an attack many times. That makes me feel down and useless. I hate that I don't feel like doing anything for so long.
Okay,enough whinning. Thanks for your sharing Suzy

#184523 - 06/08/05 06:09 AM
Su

Thanks Sand. I am beginning to feel better. It has been hard to accept that for me usually it takes me longer to recover. Looking back over the last few weeks I realize that I had been over working myself way too much to get ready for my company and the wedding. I need to keep in mind that this was not a reaction just to my IBS flareup.
Anyway, the good news is my lab work came back saying I do not show signs of diabetes,liver or thyroid problems. My xray shows some deterioration of the hip,need to find out what that means.
I was wondering should I have had a test done for my blood count ,or is that just the test for anemia? They did the anemia test a few months ago and it was okay. Suzy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 797 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3115

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review