All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Embarrasing question
      #183249 - 06/03/05 09:57 AM
graduatemom

Reged: 06/01/05

I have been taking the acacia fiber, Ive worked up to 1 T per day. My question is what is normal for bm's? Should I be "going" everyday? When my c has been very bad, I have gone over a week and then needed a laxative. With the fiber, it is about every 2-3 days but I still feel alot of gas, bloating and pain. Should I just keep increasing my fiber? I'm also having trouble drinking the amount of liquid I am suppossed to. Water makes my stomach hurt so I just sip during the day. Herbal tea is the same, I really can't put any large quantity of food or liquid in my stomach at any one time. How does everyone else drink the 128 oz of water that Heather suggessts?
Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Embarrasing question new
      #183251 - 06/03/05 10:01 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

From what I've learned, a BM one to three times a day is "normal", and three is probably more healthy than one. So if I were you, I'd keep increasing the SF. The "max" is about 4Tbs a day.

As for the water, that's a tough one. I just keep a bottle by me at work so I can sip all day.

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#183293 - 06/03/05 11:17 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

On the other end, I've heard that going once every 3 days is still considered regular. Anything over 3 days is officially C.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#183303 - 06/03/05 12:06 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I too have heard that one to three BM's a day is normal. For me, 64 oz or a little more than that is what works for me. Too much fluid and I cramp...strange.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

64 oz of water or tea per day...not my poo's! new
      #183304 - 06/03/05 12:07 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#183308 - 06/03/05 12:11 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

My gastro doc said not everyone has to have a bm everyday. People are different. The key is to feel good & to have "normal" consistency to the bm when you go. (Ha-- that's not so easy with IBS)

I don't know what to suggest with the fiber. I've never been able to control my IBS-C with fiber or diet alone. (I take Miralax daily.)

Let us know what you decide to do. Lately, I scoop 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal on my cereal every day, but that's the only time I add fiber to my regular food. Been too scared to add anymore because I don't want to get too bound up! I didn't do any better on acacia, but maybe I didn't use enough (I think I got up to 3 tablespoons a day)

#183323 - 06/03/05 12:39 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I've slowly increase my Acacia up to 2 1/2T a day divided into three doses (one before each meal). I would think daily is more normal than skipping days, and I've often been told 2-3 times a day is healthy. When I'm at my most stable, I am a 2 a day type. I would try increasing the SFS.

As to the water...I can't touch 124oz a day without making my situation much worse! I probably average 70-90 oz a day.
Feel better!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

"Normal" is always relative new
      #183327 - 06/03/05 01:10 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Actually, what's considered "normal" frequency according to medical guidelines is anywhere from 3 times a day to once every 3 days. That's quite a broad range, I know!

I'm a sipper when it comes to liquids too - it's healthier anyway, that way your stomach doesn't fill up with air! You'd be surprised how much liquid you consume if you really make sure to sip ALL DAY... I find that as long as I always have a drink on my desk or next to me or whatever, I manage about 80oz a day. It might also help a little to have drinks that are lukewarm to cool - never ice cold, and not super hot, either. I find those are easier to sip.

Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4716 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 783

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review