All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
For Ds or Frequent BMers....
      #183158 - 06/03/05 08:02 AM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

What if you just held it? Would would happen then? I've had people tell me to do that, and I wonder if it would work? Maybe for D's that's not possible, but I mostly just have frequent BMs, and I wonder if I held it maybe I would just go once instead of 6 times?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Ds or Frequent BMers.... new
      #183164 - 06/03/05 08:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I found that trying to do that just made it more explosive! And then led to major pain and longer attacks.

Have you tried preventative Immodium?

#183167 - 06/03/05 08:15 AM
Tinkerbelle

I went to the bathroom twice this morning already a lot, so I just decided to try half an immodium, since it wasn't D... I still feel like I have to go but I'm waiting it out to see if it goes away!

Oh no.... new
      #183173 - 06/03/05 08:22 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Holding it is never an option for me...though I am more "C" than anything I have an episode of "D" every now and again. I tried to hold it from the back of Sam's Warehouse to the front and nearly had a blow-out. Be careful!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#183175 - 06/03/05 08:28 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

If you are talking about frequent BMs that are not Dish at all, sometimes I don;t know if that is possible. I know that I feel like I *do* have to go, but then am actually surprised at the lack of poo that comes out. I do try to hold it for as long as I can when I first feel like I have to go (in the safety of my own home of course), so that I am sure that it is all ready to go and it comes out in one shot. That seems to work if it is my one or two normal daily BM. If I am going more than that then it is too late and holding won't help. If you are having frequent Bms, you need to make sure htat you are getting enough of a soluble fiber supplement, drinking your teas, and adhering to the diet. And exercising and drinking plenty of water. It does not seem to be a cure- all, but it helps tremendously. It sued to be that EVERY day that I did not have D I have frequent BMS, now I do not have them so much, so it can get better with a little patience!
Good luck

--------------------
-Sheri

Sheri new
      #183178 - 06/03/05 08:34 AM
Tinkerbelle

Hi Sheri...
Thanks for replying! I'm in a terrible funk right now because I quit everything in my life to work on healing, but it has also caused me to obsess over everything I'm going through! I wake up every morning and can't stop going to the bathroom, but I think it's because I'm thinking about it so much, and I also feel really depressed and anxious when I wake up realizing that I have nothing to do all day... but doing nothing was complelty my choice, and I'm scared to do a lot of things because I feel depressed and weak and am always worrying about going to the bathroom... so you can see that this is very hard to get out of, it's a cycle that makes itself worse. I started to up my fiber yesterday, I drink lots of water and tea, but I am not excercising at all really, at least not the last two days, I just lay around my parent's house really depressed and cry, which probably makes everything much much worse! I feel hopeless sometimes like I will never get out of this, and I am having so much trouble eating because it makes me feel so bloated because I have restricted my diet so much!

#183179 - 06/03/05 08:37 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've had D and the frequent BMs and holding it in just caused more pain, more stress (causing me to sweat and shake).

Tinkerbelle sweetie! new
      #183182 - 06/03/05 08:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay hon, you're gonna think this is cruel, but GET OUT OF THE HOUSE! I'm saying that as a fibromite and IBSer who's been there, done that and made myself worse in the process! It is soooooo bad for you. Make sure you get out everyday...even if all you do is walk down the road and get some air. Can you see if there's a yoga class nearby? That would be great for your "getting healthy" mission. And think of it like a job...so you have to get up and make some safe food and get a bit of exercise etc even if you don't feel like doing it. If you're feeling REALLY ill, then take a sick-day and stay in the bathroom/bed, but otherwise, you need to work at this, okay?

Also, sounds like you need a higher dose of a-d's (you're on some, yeah?)...and asap.

Linz new
      #183189 - 06/03/05 08:48 AM
Tinkerbelle

I know, I know... The days I go out I feel MUCH better, even if I am bloated or with a tummy ache. Days like today I wake up and just don't know why I'm awake... I just want to go back to sleep all day long because I plan nothing for myself. I am the kind of person who used to be so busy and social that I would get depressed if I had one Saturday with nothing to do, and now I have months and months until I MAY start graduate school, if I'm even feeling up to it! I went to my best friends' graduation 2 days ago, and really didn't want to go, but I got into the best mood, was dancing, singing, talking to everyone... But I ate too much that night and came home bloated like crazy and woke up yesterday sick. I find that having a really good day makes my bad days really really bad.
I worry about uping my Lexapro because I think (but it's so hard to know!) that I may have started going to the bathroom a lot more when I started taking it. I am only taking 5 mgs, I don't think that's enough at all. Should I just bump it to 10? I know I totally have classic depression- i don't find joy in what I used to or even really have the energy or motivation to try and get out of this! I have a guy who really cares about me, which used to be the most important thing in life for me, and I don't even care that much... I'm just really in the thick of it. Sometimes I feel like I could get out so easily, on my good days when I am strong, but on my bad days... I feel so stuck! And the ironic thing is I don't even have IBS as bad as most people on here! I've made it much worse myself by really limiting my food intake, but not on purpose, just from fear...
Anyway thanks for reading all of this and thanks so much for all your wise words- you are amazing!

Re: Tinkerbelle sweetie! new
      #183200 - 06/03/05 08:55 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Tinkerbelle, I get in the same funk as well. I think it's part of what contributed to my current anxiety problems. I stayed home so much that just leaving the house became a huge issue for me. Linz is so right! Just a short little walk around the block can make you feel so much better! Or how about a hobby--something you can work on at home that will get your mind off IBS for a little while?

I just want to add that if you're not up to exercise yet, you could find some place to volunteer. It doesn't have to be a long term commitment, many places accept as little as two hours a week. It would help you get out and you'd feel good about yourself. As a library employee, , may I suggest volunteering at your local library? Libraries usually have a variety of tasks and great bathrooms!

I hope you find the support and resources you need so that you start feeling better SOON.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 904 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5422

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review