All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
So C right now
      #183153 - 06/03/05 07:55 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I don't even really know why I'm posting, since I should know all the answers by now, but I feel so gross. I think I'm technically IBS/A, but I was always predominantly D. The only thing A about me is that taking an immodium after a bout of D would make me C for a long time. I've been really stable for the past couple of years. I rarely even take Acacia, since I am very regular with just following the diet. I usually can cheat a little too (a smear of cream cheese on a bagel, for instance). Well ... Monday night I had a really bad D attack. I'd eaten some chocolate birds nests, so that could have been it, but it was more likely (knowing my triggers) that it was just becuase I was nervous about starting my new job on Tuesday. I seriously barely made it off the subway on time, and had to stop and use a public bathroom -- there is no way I would have made it the 3 blocks to my house. Anyway it was a one-shot deal, and then it was over. I've felt fine since, except it's now Friday morning and I have yet to have a substantial BM. I had a teeny rabbit poop yesterday but I know there's more. My belly is sticking out like I'm 4mo pregnant, and it's usually flat. I've been drinking tons of tea, eating bananas and pears, had cream of rice this morning mixed with acacia, had soup and a veggie sandwich on whole grain yesterday .... I think I've been getting a lot of SF and IF, and I don't know why things won't just move. I feel so gross and uncomfortable. I don't want to take a laxative, given my usual tendancy toward D. I've had a very busy, demanding week, and I know that's probably the cause of all this. The annoying part is that I haven't actually felt anxious or overwhelmed -- I've felt totally capable and have really done a great job of getting everything done. So why can't I just poop? Do any of you C'ers have any advice for me? I'm so used to keeping my D in check that I don't know how to manage C very well. I even got up an hour early this morning, had a bowl of hot cream of rice, and sat around for an hour. I almost always go right after breakfast, if I give myself some downtime, especially if it's a hot breakfast. But I don't even have the urge to go. Now I'm at work, and I'm afraid my colon is closed for business. HELP please!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So C right now new
      #183174 - 06/03/05 08:22 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I am an A, and I found that I usually HAVE to have an insoluble with breakfast. SOMETIMES I can have a BM after oatmeal, applesauce, and tea, but not always. I usually have a luna bar shortly after breakfast, so I get insoluble nuts and such in that way, then I can go (If I had a fully soluble breakfast).
Things that work for me in the morning... frozen blueberries in oatmeal, pears in oatmeal, sometimes mango in oatmeal, kiwi or strawberries in kix cereal. I also take my acacia at night in water and in the morning mixed in my breakfast, it seems to give me the extra *push* when I take it in more lumped amounts (1 TB at night, one TB in the morning)
I know fibercon can sometimes help when I am Cish. or ginger (crystallized or pickled). TOo much insoluble by itself can have the opposite effect I found, like eating a huge salad after only a little bread. Drinking lots of water also helps, or maybe even exercising. Bananas that are more brownish can, but might kickstart D. The more yellow/green ones may make you more C.
These situations always suck, cause when you are D predominant (like me) and you turn A it is such a delicate balance betweem being too C and getting D. If you let C happen for too long it can make you D... so frustrating!
maybe try a bean based dinner ? (just make sure that they are pureed) Or lentils? Sometimes I found when I plop in a food that I haven't eaten for awhile it can produce automatic BM, but when I consistently eat it, my system gets "used" to it. Good luck, I know that this is so frustrating. SOmetimes regardless of what we can do our bodies seem to decide for themselves when they need to go!Remember that you DO have to take it easy! I know this is weird, but sometimes meditating can help me out.

--------------------
-Sheri

#183176 - 06/03/05 08:28 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Amanda, I'm so sorry you're going through this! I completely feel your pain. I often go into a major C spell after having an attack of D, too, and it's sooooo uncomfortable. My best advice would be to try to get through today and make pooping your #1 priority tomorrow. Personally, I normally can't go on work days no matter how hard I try, even if I get up early. I was just discussing in another thread how weird it is that the only time I can go a lot of the time is when I sleep in, relax and wake up leisurely, and sip a hot beverage like soy coffee or tea with my breakfast. Even if I get up early and have the same hot beverage before work it doesn't do the trick. So my advice would be to try to relax and let your body do it's thing tomorrow. For me, pushing it too much doesn't do any good. My body has to be totally ready on its own. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's all that works for me. Sometimes it even takes 2 weekend mornings like that to get things moving. It makes full-day plans on weekends a little difficult. Sigh. Anyway, I hope that works for you. If not, I'd give in and take a mild laxative or even just a stool softener. You certainly don't want to start another week at work feeling this way, and laxatives can be a good thing if you use them rarely and they're not stimulants. Anyway, I hope you start feeling better soon. I know that pregnant feeling and it's no fun at all. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Kree and Sheri new
      #183183 - 06/03/05 08:41 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks guys. It really is comforting to know someone identifies with me right now. It's such a weird feeling to know you are literally full of sh*t, but not feel like you have to go. I mean, I do know how to make myself go -- eat a giant salad and some coffee -- but then I KNOW I'll be D. At least C is a lot more discrete at the office.

I'm wondering how much C is related to sleep deprivation. The last three nights in a row I've slept from 1am to 6:30am. I don't really feel that tired -- except for today -- because I've been so busy that I've just gotten it all done. I know nobody thinks my belly looks as big as I imagine it looks, but I really am just uncomfortable.

Since the cream of rice, I've had a pretty hard peach, and now half a pb+j sandwich on whole wheat. I guess I really just need a big shot of IF to get things moving. I did have a quesadilla last night, but usually dairy makes me D, so I was kind of counting on that effect. I guess spending all night at the law school and eating chinese food has to catch up with me at some point. The funny thing is, the chinese food I got on wednesday night was mooshoo chicken, which I think is pretty safe, as far as Chinese goes. Ugh. I am just so annoyed. I hope non-IBS people are very thankful for their poops!

Anyway, thanks again guys.

--------------------
Amanda

Amanda... new
      #183194 - 06/03/05 08:51 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I am a "C" and banana's are awful for me. You might want to consider removing them from your diet for now.

Massage your tummy in circles, start at the top and move to the left...to the bottom...to the right...around and around. It isn't always comfortable but it keeps things moving. My friend is a massage therapist and taught me that trick.

Wishing you the best...

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

gasx? new
      #183204 - 06/03/05 08:57 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Also just wondering if gasx contributes to C at all. That's the only medication I've taken this week.

--------------------
Amanda

Re: Amanda... new
      #183206 - 06/03/05 08:59 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Thanks. I didn't know that about bananas. I thought that being SF with some IF they'd be good. I'll lay off them for now.
I'll try that massage trick. I just finished my pbj sandwich and I am getting very rumbly and gassy, which might mean a BM is in sight.
Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Amanda

#183243 - 06/03/05 09:47 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

I'm always C, but when I go that long without a bm, no type of food makes me go. I definitely would stay away from the bananas or much rice. Those things can make me worse.

If I've gone that long without a bm, I'll get a child-size enema at the store to get things moving. I rarely do that, but atleast it releaves the discomfort. Plus, I wouldn't think it would cause you any D. (But I'm not a D person, so you'd know better than I.)

Sorry you feel bad. That's the pits! I, too, have gotten mad that others can eat and poop whenever they want!! If they only knew how good they have it!

So sorry to hear this! new
      #183267 - 06/03/05 10:32 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

But your current situation (I've been C predominant for 2 years now) sounds just like mine when I get stressed. You have a new job, very hectic, nervous....voila! rabbit pellets! I know it is tough, but the acacia, water and exercise is all I can suggest. Oh, and plenty of IF too! The wonderful thing about C is that is doesn't resolve as quickly as D does. So be patient! Perhaps by the time you are home for the weekend and relaxed things will get moving! Don't give up! Stress is a wicked trigger for C!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

popcorn?
      #183312 - 06/03/05 12:18 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Can you C'ers tolerate popcorn? I know it's on Heather's list of Off-limits foods, but I also know some people eat it anyway. Just wondering if its high IF content will help me get things moving here, or if it will make things worse.

--------------------
Amanda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3737

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review