All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HOw often is "often"
      #182973 - 06/02/05 02:37 PM
jgilory

Reged: 06/02/05

To keep a steady supply of SF in the system--and to eat frequently as EFIBS suggests--what does that mean??? How often do you all snack? Time ratio?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Small meals, very frequently new
      #182975 - 06/02/05 02:52 PM
Android79

Reged: 05/31/05

I'm 25 and male so as you can image I have quite an appetite. I keep a french bread by my desk and snack on it every couple hours or so. I also find that it helps me eat smaller meals at meal time. If you are a frequent heartburn sufferer as I am, the small bits of food keep the acid absorbtion down. Just my 2 cents.

Re: HOw often is "often" new
      #182978 - 06/02/05 02:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If I'm busy doing things, I try to eat every 2 hours or so. Snack, breakfast, snack, snack, lunch, snack, snack, snack, dinner, snack and sometimes another snack. Otherwise, my meals are smallish and in between them, I "graze", eating tiny amounts almost constantly.

#182980 - 06/02/05 03:05 PM
jgilory

I'd also like to lose weight, so part of me is worried about consuming too much if eat all the time...any thoughts?

Eating frequently and weight loss new
      #182984 - 06/02/05 03:08 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I've heard that eating more frequently will actually increase your metabolic rate. Your body doesn't think it has to store fats, etc for times of "famine". So it should help you loose weight more easily. Just keep track of your calories and don't over do it.

HTH,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#182985 - 06/02/05 03:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hardly ever let more than 2 hours pass between eating. I eat breakfast say 7 on off days and have a banana or luna bar by 9 and the other at 10:30. I eat lunch at 12 and snack at 2 and 4 for sure. On work days I eat breakfast at 5:30 and start snacking by 7:30 and just eat about every hour or so or I nibble.
As for gaining weight: it is the amount of calories you consume in a day that determines your weight. You can eat the same amount of calories in a day by eating very often or seldom (my husband is a prime example of this. He eats 3 pieces of fruit and a slimfast at work and gorges on a big dinner and he is overweight.) Come over to the fitness board for more suggestions on losing weight.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#182986 - 06/02/05 03:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If you eat small amounts often, you shouldn't have much of a problem. Watch portion sizes carefully. If you find yourself gaining, keep track of calories and increase your exercise... and join us over on the fitness board for some inspiration and friendly support! Really, though, you don't need a *lot* of soluble fiber in your system constantly to keep yourself stable - when I say a "snack", I mean a small handful of pretzels or a few crackers (my favorite snack are these tea biscuits I found in the grocery store, 16 calories apiece and I only eat 2 at a time). You basically just don't want to go completely empty, or meals can become really risky.

Re: Eating frequently and weight loss new
      #182989 - 06/02/05 03:18 PM
jgilory

thanks!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3636 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review