All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
no rest, no sleep .....help!
      #182939 - 06/02/05 12:22 PM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

I have read everything I can find on the site, and there seems to be a lot of insomnia like I have (and Zelnorm made it worse).

After years of meds. and changing diets, I finally decided 3 mos. ago to stick to Heather's diet, Acacia powder and peppermint pills (no fennel, I hate licorice!).
To put it in a nutshell, over the mos. I have gotten myself drug free by sticking to Heather's diet; ie: off Zelnorm, Librax except in extreme relapses, but I can't get off sleep aids (Ambien or Lunesta) because I don't rest. I am like many others, wide awake at night, or sleep 4-6 hrs. with sleep aids and then wide awake. Has anyone looked into the excess sugar in Heather's diet (at least excess from what I'm used to) as being a cause for sleeplessness. Like a kid, hyperactive from too much sugar?

Is there a resolution to this loss of sleep? Exhaustion will bring on a relapse for me on the D side. This sleep issue seems to be a vicious circle........

Any ideas other than teas, CA, MG, low protein dinners, etc. I've tried most everything and taking half my prescription of Ambien, 10 mg., when I go to bed and the other half when I wake up to go to the bathroom about 2 pm, is the only way I get 6-7 hours sleep.

Anxiety may be part of it, but I'm not anxious that I know of. I know the problem is IBS. I've had all the tests, and I'm a "healthy woman", much older than most of you! I know stress plays a big part......but right now I'm not stressed.

Any ideas?

Edited by Barbara Lynn (06/02/05 12:25 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

There's no need to eat sugar! new
      #182944 - 06/02/05 12:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It's just that it is safe for IBS. I have Fibro and avoid sugar b/c of that.

Re: no rest, no sleep .....help! new
      #182956 - 06/02/05 01:06 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

lack of sleep is a serious trigger for me also, but i am C. i waited all that time for lunesta to come out, got it, then it did absolutely nothing for my insomnia, nor for any of the patients my gp had on it. so if it works at all for you, you are lucky. ambien i am leary of re: addiction potential + it only gives me 4 hrs sleep, which i've heard is common. i see you double dose it - i've heard that's what many need to do.

what about a low dose sedating antidepressant to use for sleep? would also help that catch-all term 'stress,' whatever that is. ha! only issue is that they often (not always) cause carb cravings + weight gain.

1) remeron is best for sleep at 7.5 mg, but *may* be the worst one for cravings + weight gain.

2) doxepin (sinequan) at 10-25 mg

also:

3) low dose antipsychotics are now being widely used for sleep. no need to worry about anything on the low doses, unless you also have reflux. seroquel seems to be the most popular. i *think* the dose is 25 mg. (taking one does not mean your doc thinks you're psychotic, btw.) there is usually some weight gain issue with these also, other than geodon and abilify, BUT i don't know how those 2 work for sleep. maybe someone else does.

sometimes i think sugar is an issue; other times i do not.

good luck - this stuff can be tough to solve!

Edited by pulse (06/02/05 01:07 PM)

#182991 - 06/02/05 03:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am not sure if you know, but sleep aids of any kind cause C (they put your bowels to sleep too). Trying to get up everyday at the same time, not napping and going to bed at a reasonable and regular time will help. I have found "Sleepytime" tea to make me relaxed enough to let my mind shut down without causing C. I thought it did once but the C was from something else. Also a hot bath before bed helps. Try anything and everything to get your mind relaxed and hopefully you can get rid of the sleeping pill addiction (which is what really happens.)
As for sugar, I eat sugar and I sleep well. But then kids sleep so good too (once you make them go to bed.) Yet as Linz says you don't have to have sugar.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#183052 - 06/02/05 06:39 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

i agree they cause C - IF - you mean sleep aids such as ambien, lunesta, halcion, the OTC ones, and even benadryl.

however, remeron is one sedating antidepressant that should not cause much C, if any.

yours are very good suggestions, but none are enough for alot of us - i.e., those who also have moderate to severe degrees of mood disorders like depression, bipolar, anxiety disorders, or any combos of.

i've also tried the 'natural' alternatives: valerian makes me VERY ill, melatonin can cause depression, all others don't make a dent in my insomnia. i've been grappling with either not falling asleep, not staying asleep, or too early am awakenings for the better part of 2 yrs, nearly constantly. had these problems off & on since i was a child - mostly ON. unlike the lady above, if i don't get sleep, it's my C that becomes much worse - i can count on it.

i've not had one, but some benefit by having a sleep study done.

I'd second this! new
      #183091 - 06/02/05 09:23 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Heather's diet doesn't have an excessive amount of sugar in it - in fact it doesn't need to have any sugar in it at all. That is, you don't NEED the sugar to get stable! I personally don't eat any sugar except for the occassional mint candy to help settle my stomach.

I know though that when starting the diet a lot of people (myself included in this one) find that they start eating lots of sugary stuff because a lot of other usual 'indulgences' are now off limits. But again, you don't need the sugar!

So if you're curious about this [sugar] causing you to stay up at night, my advice would be to first try cutting out sugar.

(LOL ok I've typed 'sugar' so many times in this entry that it's starting to lose meaning! haha...)

Re: no rest, no sleep ...Thanks all... new
      #183132 - 06/03/05 06:27 AM
Barbara Lynn

Reged: 05/31/05
Loc: North Port, FL

Thanks for all your ideas. I've been the route of sleepy time teas, this and that, etc. So I'm going to try the lower sugar and higher protein. I'm hungry all the time anyway, so a soy drink at night might help. I keep loosing weight bit by bit in spite of eating everything.....but no fat, no high calorie meats and sauces, no alcohol, no dairy.....it figures. All these "low carb" people should try Heather's diet!!:O)

Anyway thanks for all the advice. I will keep the list of antidepressants, etc. and if this doesn't improve, talk to my Dr. I don't get on here that often, but I've certainly enjoyed my first few days......

Re: no rest, no sleep ...Thanks all... new
      #188952 - 06/24/05 02:36 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

How qare you doing these days? Is your sleep any better? Just checkin' in!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

a strange but good remedy!! new
      #188970 - 06/24/05 04:49 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

that stinks that you cant sleep i imagine then its probably making your IBS even more annoying then usual?? well, i have kind of a strange remedy for sleeping, b/c i used to get really bad migraines and i was always unable to fall asleep to will them away. okay--you will need to go to a health store that specializes primarily in vitamins. there is something called liquid melatonin [sp??] its a solution that you take with an eye dropper under your tongue, 20 minutes before your desired bedtime. make a cup of celestial seasonings sleepytime tea and while its brewing/steeping, drop the solution under your tongue and keep it there for about 30-60 seconds, and then swallow. sip your tea and literally within those 20 minutes of ingestion, youll fall asleep! its really strange, but it works. i didnt have difficulties with insomnia and it put me out like a light so i imagine it will be just as strong for you, and the tea is a nice way to slip into extra relaxation! also, if youre familiar with bath and body works, im sure you are!! they carried a product called aromatherapy headache relief that you could rub onto your temples and on your face. the cooling of the peppermint always makes me close my eyes, so if a store is near, you should pop in and pick it up! they also had peppermint-lavender gel face masks that lay over your eyes.

i really hope that helps! i know when i dont get enough sleep, it sends my digestion into haywire and im huge and bloaty all day long! hang in there!! bye

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Lavender oil new
      #188978 - 06/24/05 05:06 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've been using lavender essential oil. Note: I am a terrible sleeper and the only way I get some zzz's is with pharmacological, i.e. prescription assistance. I have always been this way. Even when I followed a really low carb diet I was this way. Lavender essential oil, though, has a really sedating, relaxing effect on me. I just rub the stuff on my temples, in my pillow, on tender areas of my body. I also fall asleep, i.e. drift off either listening to nature c.d.'s or to alternative or punk music. I think the later makes my subconscious feel safe, i.e. creates a noise "blanket"/"barrier" so that the white noise of my house doesn't keep me awake. Classical music and baroque doesn't work, because it's just too interesting and rap is too annoying. No lights, only sound. The manipulated sound
lulls me into something I suppose is sleep. Folk music isn't bad either and ethnic/celtic style subdues as well. Toss in some lutes and lyres...you'll know what you need should you try some audial manipulation. I also wear a sleep mask. No light penetrates. I have black curtains covering my blinds...this is because I'm hyper light sensitive and also prone to migraines, not because I'm some freaky weirdo. Basically, DESENSUALIZE...have you tried any meditation or hypno? This stuff plus some drugs helps me. Feel yourself sinking into the sheets and your dreaming self flying....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1808 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review