All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
info on me: my parents, my life
      #1828 - 03/03/03 01:28 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I know that in a couple of posts i have hinted about my un-understanding family and ive noticed that some people are interested. well, i just thought id let you all know alittle about me:
Ive had Ibs since i was 13, and it has one been difficult journey. First of all, its so hard, cause my parents dont understand. I am an emotionally hard person, and the only people that had ever managed to make me cry were my parents: over my IBS. Im sure of all you know how incredibly hard it is to deal with the pain, and its really really hard for me cause my family (mom, dad, 2 brothers) are big fast food people: grease, hamburges, cheese stakes, FAT!) almost every night, i have to beg my mom for an alternative, and allot of times she just rolls her eyes, and yells at me, or gives me the" ibs is all in your head" speech and tries to convince me that theres nothing wrong with me, but what i dont get is that she has ibs too! well, she has ibs-c, and has managed to handle it through a high fiber diet, but she still dismisses it as a head case sickness. ive been through many doctors and my gastrologist at the childrens hosp in phila. has given me a upper gi and an endoscopy so far. so far, the only thing she has to find was an inflammed esophageos. (sp?) anyway, she perscribed me prevacid, and my dad is convinced that the med will cure my ibs. i tried telling him that prevacid only helps upper abdominal disease and not lower, but he wont listen to me. I think the worst of all things is that they wont accept the fact that i have ibs. they wont let me get heathers book, they wont buy me fiber tablets, or immodium, pepto bismal. the only thing that i can get away with is talking calcium (TUMS) and thats because my dad has GERD. life gets VERY complicated sometimes, im jsut glad i found ppl who understand me. i hate it when my friends eat doghnuts and i refuse, i hate it when my parents try to convince me that ibs is a mental case, i hate it when i have to literally sneak tums in my room. but i love knowing that im not alone and that everything will eventually turn out for the better and that everything will be okay. thank you and godbless

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: info on me: my parents, my life new
      #1854 - 03/03/03 08:15 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Christiana,

I did reply to you via another post but once again would like to express my heartfelt sympathy for your situation. As a parent myself I can't imagine anyone not doing everything they can to help their child. I don't want to appear judgemental though, parents are important but so is your health.

Isn't there another relative whose support you could gain? An aunt, cousin, grandparent?

Let us know how you go.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1856 - 03/03/03 09:02 PM
Shawna

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Middle of nowhere in the desert, Ca

Honey, I sympathise with your situation. When my first onset with IBS happened at 15, my mother told me I had the stomach flu. After 6 months, and losing 25 lbs, (I was never very big to begin with, maybe 100 lbs) she decided that there might be something wrong. And my mom is a nurse! I was diagnosed with IBS then. But because the Dr. said it was stress related, "It was all in my head." And I spent 2 years with a shrink, which helped none! What finally started helping my situation was graduating from high school, getting a job and moving out of my parents house. I could then do what I wanted and eat what I wanted and live how I wanted, with out anyone telling me it was in my head. And I am not saying life has been all roses since, but doing things my way has made a difference. I hope that you too, will soon be able to be on your own and live your own life. Until then you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Shawna

--------------------
SLicK

#1866 - 03/04/03 05:16 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I was telling my husband about your situation and I told him the same thing Kerri wrote. We are all pulling for you. The teenage years are not fun and this definately doesn't help. I am praying for you.

#1867 - 03/04/03 05:58 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know I put this on the recipe board so sorry if you've already read it. We are your IBS family and we understand and support you! I cannot believe that your parents are unwilling to let you have something that may help you! I have an 18 month old son and cannot imagine not doing everything possible for him. Anyway, a couple of thoughts. Do you think you could convince your parents to buy tea for you? I'm not suggesting you lie, but you need not mention it's for IBS. Peppermint is great for IBS, ginger is great for nausea and fennel is great for bloating. Actually, Heather has mentioned that if you can just buy the peppermint leaves, or gingerroot or fennel seeds you can just brew your own tea and it's a lot cheaper. Maybe you could buy some yourself if your folks won't spring for the teas. The teas can help symptoms significantly - I consider peppermint my wonder drug. It is my lifesaver. If I drink that, it helps even after an attack has started. Can't hurt. And as KinOZ mentioned - is there an aunt or a family friend that you could talk to? A school nurse? Do you know anyone else with IBS other than your Mother? Maybe they could talk to your Mom. If you have to go to the Doc, does your Mother come with you? How understanding is your Doc? Did he/she explain IBS to your parents? Take care, sweetie.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: info on me: my parents, ect. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT.Plz read new
      #1885 - 03/04/03 12:48 PM
ConcreteAngel

i appreciate all of your guys' wonderful support. my mother is a nurse, and all of my family (aunts, uncles, ect) look to her for all medical advice, so when she says my ibs is really all in my head, they all agree with her. hansolo, yes, actually ive managed to buy peppermint tea with my money. my parents have no idea that i buy it for ibs, i convince them that i drink it just for the flavor. i have acid reflux disease disease, and sometimes the peppermint bothers that. one of my aunts has colitis. id love to talk to her about ibs related symtoms, but i hardly ever see her! i guess i would just feel weird talking to my aunt about that sortof thing when i barley know her. my gasto is sortof understanding, but she really doesnt tlak to me, she just gives me tests. i want to have a colonoscopy done, but my parents just make fun of the whole procedure and make it out to be really embarrassing. Plus, im kindof scared of the prep. i know i wont get much support and i dont want to go through all the anxiety.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: info on me: my parents, ect. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT.Plz read new
      #1903 - 03/04/03 03:57 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

Try Ginger tea - it'll be easier on your acid reflux thing. I love Ginger and any fruit flavour - ie. GingerPeach, GingerRaspberry, etc. and ooh, Twinnings has a wonderful lemon ginger blend. Anything you're wondering about the Colonoscopy - ask here. Lots of us have had it done - believe it or not, I even had it done WITHOUT SEDATION. My moron of a GI talked me into it. The prep is easy, and if you're sedated, you'll likely not remember a thing. If I could get through it fully conscious, you can get through it, too. How old do you have to be to get the tests done on your own? Another thing to think of - you're 17, right? Only a couple more years at home, likely. Are you thinking of college? There is light at the end of the tunnel for you, kiddo. Hang in there.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: info on me: my parents, ect. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT.Plz read-HAN new
      #1905 - 03/04/03 04:14 PM
ConcreteAngel

dear han,
thank you so much for telling me that everything will be alright with the colonscopy thing. i just heard that the prep was so bad, and my family making jokes about it sure didnt make me feel any better eathier. Actually, im only 16, but im turning 17 april 1st. i just got in the habit of sayin im 17 cause my parents keep on saying one more month, one more month (till im 17)sorry if i was misleading. I am planning to go to college, and more than likley ill be living at home (for money reasons) i hope to be a nurse practioner. i cant wait till im eighteen, cause then ill have FULL control over my life and i wont have to worry about what moms making for dinner. hehe. until then...... *sighs* oh well, less than 13 months to go

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1922 - 03/04/03 08:30 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Angela,
Keep your chin up, we'll always be here to listen. Hansolo had a lot of good suggestions and I can vouch for the lemon/ginger tea - it's nice.

If your parents agree to the Colonoscopy I would have it done - it really isn't too bad. The prep can be inconvenient but it's not painful.

I would try to stick to whatever small amounts of SF food you can find in your pantry. Would your Mum be willing for you to cook your own meal if you prepared ingredients she already has in a safer way? eg. baked potato instead of chips, pizza minus the cheese etc. If you haven't got soy milk I would eat any corn/rice cereals dry rather than use dairy.

Keep in touch,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1923 - 03/04/03 08:41 PM
Serena

Reged: 02/03/03

Hi,

Wow, I am reading your posts. The good thing is that you know what your problems are and have this forum to help you. I just wanted to say, about the prep, if you get to have the colonoscopic, and I think you should, they should give you a list of clear fluids you will be allowed. It will be easier for you if you eat as much as is comfortable of those foods that you like. It makes you more comfortable after.
I was very afraid of the test, and put it off for years, finally my symptoms wouldnt let me put it off any longer. I don't even remember the test now. They gave me medicine and I don't remember anything until the doctor was talking afterwards, & just barely remember that.
If you could, ask the gi about a gluten allergy test as well.
I wish you luck with everything, I wish I could say something that would help you with your parents. Eighteen is, in my opinion, too young to be out on your own. But I understand..
God Bless

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3145

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review