All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
General anesthesia & IBS symptoms or attacks?
      #182765 - 06/01/05 11:04 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I have asked this question before and can't find any replies. I have a GI that will most likely to a work up due to other problems aside from the IBS. The next procedure is going to be dental work and they have to put me under general anesthesia and I don't do well under that.

Can general anesthesia and IBS symptoms cause further problems? Anyone know???? If so, please help me before I have to make a decision which is coming up this next week.

Thanks! Heidi

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: General anesthesia & IBS symptoms or attacks? new
      #182823 - 06/02/05 06:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm a little confused about what you're asking. It sounds like your GI wants to do a work-up for non-IBS problems (?) but I'm not sure what that has to do with dental work. Sorry - lost here - so this is the best I can do:

Luckily I haven't had to have general anesthesia since being diagnosed with IBS. My impression is that all sedatives cause some constipation, but that's just an impression. You could try calling whoever is going to be doing the anesthesia (anesthesiologist?) and discussing your concerns with him or her.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: General anesthesia & IBS symptoms or attacks? new
      #182845 - 06/02/05 08:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm also a little confused as to what the question is. I have had two D&C's due to miscarriages recently and I was put under each time and it didn't make my ibs any worse. I tend to have a lot of nausea anyways so I made sure to tell them that and they gave me something in my IV so I wouldn't throw up afterwards.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 711 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 739

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review