All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
dried fruit question.
      #182723 - 06/01/05 08:14 PM
simple

Reged: 05/13/05

i know that dried papaya is ok, but what other dried fruit is safe?
is it anything without a tough skin?
i need to know because i am on the go a lot and dried fruit has always been my favorite running around snack. i know now that that was what gave me those stomach pains in the past, empty stomach and all, but i would love to know of some safe choices.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dried fruit question. new
      #182726 - 06/01/05 08:22 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I would be really careful with dried fruit. Other than bananas, papaya, and mango, ALL of them are insoluble fiber, and with all the moisture gone, they're even more fibrous and harder to digest than the fresh-fruit versions. I'd even be careful with the "safe" ones - I find papaya and mango just as hard to digest as any other dried fruit, and bananas are high in fat if you eat too many of them.

If you do decide to try them, eat bread or some other soluble fiber option first... or accept that you'll have to change your snacking habits. A lot of us have gotten used to carrying tote bags of snacks with us wherever we go, because you never know what you'll find on the road. Personally, I always carry a fresh banana, a Luna bar or two, and usually a bag of pretzels or a bagel with jam. (I snack a lot, heh.)

#182747 - 06/01/05 09:28 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Many dried fruits also are dusted with sulfur. It's a preservative or something, not sure. I read in some of Heather's stuff that sulfur can bother some people. It would probably be on the ingredients list though.

#182824 - 06/02/05 07:06 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Good point about the added sulfer -- many also add fat and other things for flavor. So be careful about what you buy.

#182954 - 06/02/05 12:53 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Hi. I eat dried mango and dried papaya from trader joe's. Both are good for snacking. When I'm having good days I can also take dried pineapple. Chopped up dry papaya is yummy in oatmeal! Happy snacking.

dried fruits are great in oatmeal or baked goods- nt new
      #182996 - 06/02/05 03:27 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#183013 - 06/02/05 04:14 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

hi simple--
ill tell you that raisins *are not* a good choice..or at least not for me!! i can have maybe 7 or 8 for energy when i havent eaten anything AND when im not bloated but if i have too many...i get gas which causes D. i seem to be alright with dried cranberries though---i vaguely remembered hearing about the sulfer brushed on dried fruits so if its a trigger for you [im sure it is for most!] you will def.want to check the ingredients list--OR you could buy organic dried cranberries..but look for the ones that come in a bag b/c buying bulk is $10.99 PER POUND!!! TOO expensive! good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review