All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics and Diarrhea?
      #182636 - 06/01/05 02:58 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

Is it possible to get diarrhea from taking beneficial bacteria? What about Heather's mint caps?
I have never in my life had diarrhea for more than like two secconds(I'm IBS- C!!!!! ) an I've had it for 4 days now....really bad! Like can't make it to the bathroom in time bad! I went to the GI doc today to ask if it was from Zelnorm (been on it about two weeks). She said maybe but she wants to keep me on it anyway but to take me off the Miralax (which I've been on for years and never had a diarrhea problem). So I'm wondering if it's because of something else...OR if perhaps taking probiotics isn't a good idea till I get more stable??
Help!

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics and Diarrhea? new
      #182639 - 06/01/05 03:07 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Zelnorm is much more likely the culprit than probiotics. Some people do complain of that. I think it was listed as something like the number one side effect in one study and the number two in another one. It goes away for most people -- which may be why she wants you to keep taking it -- but it is also usually mild and only lasts for a couple days. If it isn't mild - and doesn't go away -- I wouldn't keep it up.

#182647 - 06/01/05 03:31 PM
Patricia Buzo

She said if it didn't get better by Friday we'd cut the tablet in half. Do you think taking probiotics will agravate the diarrhea symtoms? What about mint/fennel?

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#182657 - 06/01/05 04:13 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I would be surprised to hear the peppermint/fennel/ginger capsules were causing diarrhea - I don't remember anyone complaining about that side effect. I do think I remember seeing posts from people who felt probiotics increased their D - not sure I've seen any from C people who got D from starting probiotics. You could search on "probiotic diarrhea", don't use the quotes, no time limit, and see what you find - it might be a little tricky because of the tendency to abbreviate diarrhea as "D".

You could try going off everything you can, just stay on the stuff your doctor wants you on, and see what happens. When I talked to my GI guy about adding stuff like the capsules, probiotics, and so on, plus the Bentyl he wanted to try, his advice was, "Fine, but one at a time, so you know what's working - and what isn't."

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#182738 - 06/01/05 08:56 PM
Patricia Buzo

I reluctantly took another zelnorm tonight and got really bad pain and crapped my pants again shortly after (I hadn't taken any since yesterday a.m.). I really don't want to take it again. What should I do?

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#182741 - 06/01/05 09:12 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Well I'd say that if you really don't want to take it again, then don't. I've read so much nasty stuff about Zelnorm that if it's not working for you - and if it's giving you such horrible side effects - then there's no reason to keep it up. But that's just my opinion. Lots of people find that it works for them so it's ultimately up to you, obviously.

I'd agree with Sand and the others who've commented that it's *much* more likely the Zelnorm than the other things you mentioned. Starting probiotics can make your stomach a little wonky for a few days (usually just causes gas though) - and nothing as bad as this. And I've never heard of anything like this happening from peppermint or fennel.

I hope things start getting better for you soon, whatever you decide to do! Hugs

#182756 - 06/01/05 10:08 PM
Shelli73

Reged: 05/11/05
Loc: Georgia, USA

My sister started taking Zelnorm & had horrible cramps & diarrhea for almost a week. Eventually it settled down, and she feels great now! But...it's an individual thing. If the D doesn't go away soon, I'd definitely go off it. I can't take it myself, cause one of the possible side effects is pelvic adhesions.

--------------------
Shelli - Wife & stay at home mom to 1 son, 1 dog & 2 parrots! IBS-A, usually C.

#182790 - 06/02/05 05:16 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I really don't think it should be like this. I would either modify the dose to half a pill - or stop taking it altogether. You shouldn't have to feel like this.

#182842 - 06/02/05 08:37 AM
Patricia Buzo

I've decided to stop the zelnorm and take some active charcoal (I've heard this is good for D). I really don't feel comfortable being on zelnorm with all the negative info out there. I'll let you know if it helps.

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#182951 - 06/02/05 12:47 PM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Patricia,
So you have Crohn's but you're C? That's an odd combination. Zelnorm could certainly be the culprit. It causes D for lots of people - I've never taken it, but I know I've seen others post about having this reaction. On probiotics - unless you're also on an antibiotic, then I wouldn't be worried about going off of them, if only temporarily. Some people with candida issues don't react well to probiotics. Also, make sure you're probiotic doesn't have lactose if you are sensitive to that (some do). Hope you feel better soon - my Crohn's puts me in the D category often, and I know it's no fun!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1881 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1769

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review