All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
klonopin
      #182518 - 06/01/05 10:58 AM
MT

Reged: 03/16/05

Help. I just started taking Klonopin. I have wet the bed 3 times in 2 weeks. Has this happened to anyone. It has never happened before to me. Is it because it puts me in such a deep sleep. The first time I had a dream I was going to the bathroom, but it was no dream. Then it happened two more times this past week. What is going on. Other than that it has been fine for me for help with anxiety related to IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: klonopin new
      #182521 - 06/01/05 11:03 AM
SCgirl

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: Charleston SC

Hi, the doctor tried to put me on klonopin because he though that my IBS was because I got nervous. I tried taking it and it made me dizzy and tired and it just wasnt worth it and I didnt notice any difference at all..but just feeling drugged up. If I were you I would quit taking it and try something else and talk to your doctor about it.

#182524 - 06/01/05 11:04 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi there,

I am taking Klonopin right now as well. My gastro doc prescribed it for me because he said that it helped block the "seizure activity" taht we call "cramps" in the gut. It does help me, but I have noticed my hair thinning a bit. That is really the only side effect I have found, that and I get a bit sleepy. How much and how often do you take it. I am supposed to take .5mg 3 times a day. That equals out to 1 1/2 mg a day.

--------------------
Dana

#182545 - 06/01/05 11:58 AM
MT

THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED .5 MG TWICE A DAY, BUT I STARTED JUST TAKING .5 ONCE A DAY AND HE GAVE ME ATIVAN FOR ANY PANIC SITUATIONS FOR SOCIAL ACTIVITIES WHEN I AM NOT FEELING GOOD WITH THE IBS-C. THE BED WETTING IS REALLY STRANGE THOUGH, I GUESS NOBODY ELSE HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN.

#182579 - 06/01/05 01:04 PM
pulse

Loc: sw ohio

DanaNoel,

i am taking 1.5 klonopin also.

this is VERY interesting (to me lol) that your doc calls cramps 'seizure activity.' that makes SO much sense. i don't have bipolar illness (i have major depressive illness), but i've read many times that klonopin provides some help in mood stabilization for some bipolar folks. a much-prescribed med for bipolar is the anti-seizure drug, depakote. it's used as a much more potent stabilizer than klonopin, and works, in part, on GABA. i just googled and found that our friend, klonopin, enhances GABA, also. GABA activity in our brains is known for it's calming abilities. apparently, that 'translates' into calming our guts.

continued good luck with klonopin. it is helping me immensely.

~ pulse

#182595 - 06/01/05 01:19 PM
pulse

Loc: sw ohio

Hi MT,

first, just a tip: typing in all caps is considered on the net, as you are yelling at us. so, it might well scare some folks off from replying to you.

i have not heard of this bed-wetting with klonopin. i have heard of one person only having it happen with the antidepressant med, remeron. this was a male.

klonopin is very sedating to some, but that typically wears off after a few days. perhaps taking it latest at dinner time or at least several hours before bedtime would help. if you are taking klonopin only for insomnia, as opposed to for anxiety, the sleep help will wear off in about a month or less. then, you will VERY likely have to keep increasing the dosage - creating a dependance few would want to get started.

#182612 - 06/01/05 02:05 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I have just started taking klonopin again (I took it about 5 years ago and weaned myself off of it when necessary). I don't take it during the day---only a little at night when I have trouble relaxing to go to sleep. (sometimes only 1/4 mg. Other times 1/2 mg. Rarely 1 mg.) I don't take it every night.

My doctor told me it has a long half-life (takes a long time to get out of your system) so taking it at night would give me a little benefit during the day too.

Too bad you can become dependent on it, because otherwise, I would take it more often. It does help me (I have bipolar.)

#184217 - 06/07/05 08:36 AM
MT

SORRY FOR YELLING, Just kidding. I had heard that about CAPS before, but I never thought people took that serious. I always used to type on paper in caps too. I guess it makes it simpler in regards to typing. Well anyway, I am not taking it the Klonopin for insomnia, I never have trouble sleeping, the doctor prescribed it for the anxiety I deal with in having IBS for 20 years. One can only bare so much for so long, so I finally asked him for something, he started with Ativan, which I liked but it is short acting so he prescribed me Klonopin. I have now wet the bed 3 times but it seems to have stopped now. I think it puts me in such a sleepy state that I dream I am going to the toilet because i really have to go bad, and I think I am in the bathroom, but I am still sleeping. I have made it a point to get up in the middle of the night if I awake and go to the bathroom as often as possible and so far it hasn't happened again. It really makes me laugh though, when I am dreaming of being in an actual bathroom preparing to go and then waking up just as it starts coming out, oops. Well at least I can laugh about it. Regarding the addictive aspects of all these medications that are prescribed. I really don't care at this point in my life, because I don't beleive my IBS will ever allow me any quality of life and if these medicines give me any peice of mind, I will take it, addicted or not. I know some may perceive this as a negative attitude, but since I have been on the ativan and klonopin, I have gone out to dinner socially with people and had a good time because I wasn''t sitting there in fear of a stomach symptom that would send me running.

#184228 - 06/07/05 08:47 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you guys feel it makes you more Constipated? Or are most of you D's? I am also taking 1 mg a day of klonopin but have my fears that it is increasing the constipation as it is suppose to calm the gut, which, in my opinion, translates into constipation???

My GI swears it won't cause constipation, but I think he just says things to make me feel better about taking the med.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#184232 - 06/07/05 08:54 AM
MT

My problems are more IBS-D. I don't feel it changing any of my physical IBS symptoms though, other than anxiety. Good luck.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 687 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5915

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review