All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Now *I* need some help!
      #182415 - 06/01/05 04:26 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I changed contraception a while ago (from Depo to Implanon) and it seems to be messing with my hormones big-time. So I've now got hormonal IBS for the first time ever!

I keep on getting D but my usual remedy (1 Immodium and a Co-codamol if I'm getting pain too) is now swinging me to C...and then I have a mass evacuation and go back to D...you know the drill!

Anyway, I'm taking 2T Acacia atm...do you think I should up this? Admittedly I haven't been extra careful with diet AT ALL (tho I have been getting LOTS of SF and all through the day, plus drinking more fennel/chamomile tea) but I find that harder now with having to balance eating for IBS with eating for Fibro (and I'm a big lazy cheater ).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

if it makes you feel better new
      #182417 - 06/01/05 04:34 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My last several D episodes were after NO cheating whatsoever and were either hormonal or just needing to get stuff out. So yes you shouldn't cheat, but it might not change anything if you stop.
I also am in a C to D mode and am on 2T acacia. So I am not sure if you should up or not.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Now *I* need some help! new
      #182492 - 06/01/05 09:10 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Aren't hormones wonderful?

I'd suggest upping the acacia. Even if more acacia might mean more frequency, with luck the BMs will be less urgent and the acacia will smooth out the swings. Once you're more stable, you could try backing off on the acacia again if you want. I know you know this but increase the dosage slowly. (BTW, I'm IBS-D and I take 2 Tbsp + 1 teaspoon of acacia.)

You could also try taking less immodium - I've seen some people post they take 1/2 tablet at a time. With any luck, that will stop the D without triggering the C.

I gather that it's tricky balancing the IBS diet with the fibro diet - and I know firsthand that cheating is fun! - but while you're unstable being stricter might help get your gut settled down. I don't know if it's an option with the fibro diet, but you could consider the Breaking The Cycle diet or the What-to-eat-when-you-can't-eat-anything diet for a few days, too.

I hope some of this helps. You've been a fabulous resource, Linz, and I'd like to repay the favor a little.

PS - This may be a stupid question, but can you go back to your old contraception?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#182517 - 06/01/05 10:55 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ick, hormonal IBS! When I went off the pill last year (I'm back on them), my cramping and D worsened, so I have an idea how you're feeling. The D would start two days before my period and continue for the next couple of days. I'd also have severe cramping and lower back pain.

I've been in a similar D and C cycle as well...Could you take 1-2 Immodium when you're having D without pain and, since codeine can cause constipation, just a Co-codamol when your main symptom is pain? Increasing your Acacia dose sounds like a good idea. How much are you thinking of adding? 1/4 tsp?

Linz, I don't see you as a lazy cheater! I don't know how you or other fibromites manage eating and living w/ fibro and IBS. When I was first starting to stablize, just figuring out what to eat and do with IBS seemed like a full-time job! I hope you get stable soon. Are you thinking of switching back to your original contraception? Or do you have to stay on the Implanon?

Take care!

#182530 - 06/01/05 11:14 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi Linz,

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I had my IBS under control for 6 months until about 10 days ago when I started my period. It all started about 3 days before my period and continued throughout and it has yet to let up. By the way, I am having bad bouts of D with horrid cramping. Usually it will just last the first couple of days of my period but not this time. Now, I feel like I am back to square one. I am still trying to figure out what to do. My gyno wants to put me on the Nuvaring as it can be used to where you only have a period 4 times a year and the hormones that it does give you are the lowest dose and give you a steady stream, as opposed to taking a pill and giving you a big spike of them. Today, I am going to see my gastro and will let you know what he has to say about it.
Actuallym my IBS started after my daughter was born - I mean t he DAY after, so I ALWAYS suspected that my IBS is hormone related and my periods just worsen it.

It's tough too because you take Immodium and get plugged up until you have explosive D 3 days later. What can you do?

My Gyno actually told me that taking a SFS would make my D worse. SO now I am REALLY confused. I mean, dont SFS absorb extra water in your intestines therefore cutting down on the D. Hmmm...

Sometimes I think doctors are just clueless.

Don't ya just LOVE being a girl.

I'll let you know what he has to say!!

--------------------
Dana

#182661 - 06/01/05 04:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Can you go back to your Doc and try another type of contraception? This one seems more trouble than it's worth. You already know what to do. I don't have to tell you. You can try upping the acacia a bit, and tightening the rules on the cheating, but that's about it. No miracle cures here. Ain't it great being a woman? Bleh!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks everyone new
      #182768 - 06/02/05 12:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The reason I switched contraception was that I'd been on Depo for nearly 6 years and there's a risk it can cause problems with long-term use...as I want to start a family in a few years and have enough health problems atm I didn't want to risk that. The Implanon's the same hormones but at a lower dose so it's safer. This is an arse! If I come off this (well, have it taken out - it lasts 3 years!) I guess I'd have to consider an IUD which have always freaked me out a little.

Okay, gonna try and be super good today . And I'll put a t of Acacia in a water bottle and see how I do with that.

Good luck. Let us know how you're doing. -nt- new
      #182791 - 06/02/05 05:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3290 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1011

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review