All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
a couple questions
      #182320 - 05/31/05 04:44 PM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

Hi, I'm a new member. I used the search bar as requested and couldn't quite find what I'm looking for.

I can't drink soy milk and I'm a bit nervous to try rice and almond milk. Should I be and are there any suggestions? :confused:

For the last five years I have drank soda morning, noon and night. I don't feel awake or alert if I don't have one first thing in the morning. Any suggestions on what to drink for the same effect? Also, what is the best way to avoid caffeine withdrawl migraines?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: a couple questions new
      #182322 - 05/31/05 04:50 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi, and welcome to the boards! You definitely don't need to be afraid of rice or almond milk. As a matter of fact, I am able to drink soy milk, and I choose to drink vanilla rice milk instead because I prefer the lighter flavor. It's excellent in a glass with dinner, over cereal, in smoothies... in pretty much anywhere you'd use milk! The only downfall to rice milk is I've heard it doesn't set up as well in puddings... but if that's the only problem I'd say it's still pretty fantastic. Give it a try!

As for caffeine issues, have you tried green tea? It has small amounts of caffeine, so it might curb those headaches of yours. Then you can slowly decrease the amount you have to drink and move to herbal teas instead.

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions you might have!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#182326 - 05/31/05 04:58 PM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

Thanks! I'll give both a try. (Rice milk and Green Tea)

#182328 - 05/31/05 05:05 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

i gave up soda many yrs ago. it is far & away the worst for me & my ibs. it's the carbonation that makes it so intolerable.

i am ibs-c, so (at least for me) i can tolerate some caffeine, but because i also now have reflux disease (GERD), i can no longer handle the tannins in caffeinated tea. i was, prior to this, an all-day-long iced tea drinker for 25 yrs. never a problem. in my case, menopause has brought more changes than i would have believed possible & has made me so much more sensitive to just about everything, it seems. it does get old!

i now make my own weak caffeinated (instant) iced coffees. i use either lactose-free milk or non-dairy creamer for my 'cream.' i am experimenting with sugar vs. substitutes.

re: caffeine withdrawal headaches, i've only gotten those 1 out of the 3 times i've either succeeded in going caffeine-free...or tried. i am not at this time willing to give up my caffeine, as i have life-long depression, and, no matter what any of the sages might say, for me, it most definately helps my depression.

the only pain med i can tolerate on my tummy is regular tylenol. this has been so for many years. sorry i can't be of more help.

#182330 - 05/31/05 05:12 PM
pulse

hi Kree,

i'm new, too, and just started drinking rice milk and on my cereal. i'm another who, for some reason, has problems with soy milk. do you happen to know why that is? if not, anyone else?

i do love the rice milk, like you, for the lighter taste. cheers!

~ pulse

Possibly... new
      #182337 - 05/31/05 05:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I *think* the soybean is a legume, and legumes are notoriously hard to digest until you're used to them - and that's even for people without IBS, so you can just imagine that our touchy systems are sometimes way more sensitive to it than most people.

I've only just recently started using soymilk - I couldn't tolerate the stuff when I wasn't IBS-stable, but now that I (mostly) am, I find I'm a-ok with soy products. I have to say, though, that I still think rice milk tastes better in general.

#182339 - 05/31/05 05:40 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards!

Definitely give the rice milk a try! No reason to be nervous at all. I found that rice milk is incredibly easy on the digestive system and it's milder and tastier in flavor than soy milk. Rice Dream is just about the best brand, I've found... and the chocolate one is just *delicious*.

I don't really have a whole lot of advice about the caffeine withdrawal, mostly because I just went cold-turkey and suffered through the headaches. It was only a couple days, and I made it through with my sanity intact and no murders to report. But I do think Kree's suggestion to try green tea is an excellent one!

Good luck!

Re: Possibly... new
      #182340 - 05/31/05 05:45 PM
pulse

well, that makes good sense. soy-BEAN. me DUH! and to think i grew up on a farm where we cultivated them every other year. rofl.

i've always had trouble with just about every other bean - with the possible exception of black beans, the only ones i like...even a little.
so, one mystery solved. thanx!

i like the taste of the rice milk better, too, so i'll just stick with making this one thing easy, ya think?

great advice! new
      #182374 - 05/31/05 08:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Definitely don't go cold turkey with giving up caffeine. But do drink a beverage that is not 2 triggers like caffeinated pop. Green tea or English breakfast and the like will get you caffeinated and then gradually reduce it. Also drinking a big glass of water helps wake people up. Honestly it works, but it will not help prevent the headaches. It WILL help once you go off caffeine to get you up in the morning. A big glass of water is great!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 816 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1258

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review