All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactaid
      #182302 - 05/31/05 03:45 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Has anyone had any luck with taking Lactaid and then eating dairy products? Are they still a trigger if you do this? What about red meat- does anyone here eat it? I used to eat it all the time and was fine, but I'm not sure how I would be with it now with more sensitivites.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lactaid new
      #182306 - 05/31/05 04:03 PM
Android79

Reged: 05/31/05

For me, Lactaid seems to trigger an attack the same as milk does, must be the dairy in nature not the lactose sugars. Hope this helps.

#182342 - 05/31/05 05:50 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I might take a lactaid if I am going to eat something that has a small amount of dairy as a by-product -- but I haven't trusted it to take care of a real dairy food.

#182368 - 05/31/05 07:46 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Lactaid won't stop dairy from being a trigger. It is not just the lactose in dairy that is the problem. Dairy has alot of other things that are hard to digest (casein, whey)

I never realized until this website that red meat was a trigger so I was eating it too and thought I was okay but since I have stopped I feel alot better and I can survive off chicken and ground turkey, etc .I don't crave steaks like some people do. Maybe you should try going without red meat for awhile and see if you feel better.

hope this helps, I am a huuuuge dairy fan so it is rough but it can be done!

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#182378 - 05/31/05 08:44 PM
pulse

Reged: 05/24/05
Loc: sw ohio

lactaid doesn't work for me either and does seem to 'stir things up.'

i am fortunate, too, that i don't crave or miss read meat, but like you, dairy is another story. i have cut out *most* (not all) dairy and it is helping. also, i believe my sinus/ allergy problem is better as a direct result.

#182379 - 05/31/05 09:09 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

It works very well for me. I use the tablets if I am eating something with cheese or ice cream, but for milk we generally buy the Lactaid milk. In general, I don't eat a lot of dairy products, but when going out or at parties I always keep some Lactaid with me. I am not sensitive to casein or whey, so I guess I'm lucky.

#182465 - 06/01/05 07:53 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'd just like to highlight what Bethany said - right on. Lactaid will only solve one of the problems in dairy, and there are lots of other problems that are IBS triggers. I've been 'lactose intollerant' all my life and took Lactaid occassionally, but about 5 years ago or so it just stopped working for me... and then a few years later my IBS symptoms hit hard. So, obviously it's not just the lactose.

Especially if you're still working on stabilizing - cut out dairy completely! It's one of THE biggest IBS triggers.

#182498 - 06/01/05 09:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

When I was being diagnosed with IBS, my doctor told me to eliminate all dairy for two weeks, then come see him again. I felt better - not 100%, but better. When I saw him again, he said, "Yup, IBS, like most people with it you're lactose intolerant, take Lactaid."

I asked him why he didn't just have me take Lactaid for 2 weeks instead of eliminating dairy. He said that he'd done that in the past, but found that people who were supposed to be taking Lactaid for the 2 weeks kept forgetting to take it. He knew that because they didn't feel as well as the people who just eliminated dairy for 2 weeks.

Like an idiot, I didn't think about the flaw in his logic and took his advice. I went back to eating dairy, popping lactaid like crazy - I was taking so much I actually started tracking the cost to take off my income tax - and got worse again. Once I found Heather's diet, I realized that the people my old doctor put on Lactaid weren't forgetting to take it - it just wasn't doing the job.

All of which is a long, overly dramatic way of agreeing with Betharoo - there's more to dairy problems than lactose.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#182572 - 06/01/05 12:54 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

I might take a lactaid if I am going to eat something that has a small amount of dairy as a by-product -- but I haven't trusted it to take care of a real dairy food.

I'm the same way. I'll eat things that say they contain 2% or less of milk or whey and pop a Lactaid. But I don't trust it for anything with more than trace amounts of milk. Like everyone else said, it's best to avoid those completely.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Lactaid/a Bad Idea--n.t. new
      #182586 - 06/01/05 01:10 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 610 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review