Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Antacids/Indigestion meds.. otc?
      #182171 - 05/31/05 09:13 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

I am just wondering, what otc (over the counter) meds do people take for indigestion?
I am really worried about taking anything 'cause when they thought I had reflux and put me on prescription meds, I got SUCH bad D (like 10 times a day, constantly cramped up, stomach 'heaving' all the time) that I couldn't function.
I am getting really bad indigestion/heartburn etc lately, though and it is getting really constant and quite painful.

I want to run out to the drugstore at lunchtime to get something, but I dunno what to get.

Has anyone had any that they HAVE had problems with, so I know which ones to avoid?
And what about ones that seem pretty safe?

Thanks guys!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Antacids/Indigestion meds.. otc? new
      #182182 - 05/31/05 09:36 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Howdy! In the past, I've tried Pepcid and Tagamat, but I'm pretty sure they made my D worse. It was either that or the large amounts of ibuprofen my doc had me on for my menstrual cramps (this was pre-Heather, of course, before I knew better), which was the reason why I needed to take antacids.

As for a safe otc med for indigestion, how about Tums w/ Calcium? The calcium supplement in Tums is calcium carbonate which would be more constipating, I think, and perhaps better for someone with IBS-D?

#182189 - 05/31/05 09:55 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Maria. I'm IBS-D and I take Tums as my calcium supplement with no trouble.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#182199 - 05/31/05 11:02 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I used to take Rolaids ALL THE TIME when my stomach was starting to hurt... the peppermint flavour was soothing yeah but now I'm pretty sure they were making my D much worse. I seem to remember reading somewhere in Heather's stuff that antacids actually have some laxative properties... but I could be wrong about that...??

#182408 - 06/01/05 03:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well I take Zantac as it's the best OTC reflux med there is...BUT I have no problems with the rx PPIs either so I might not be the best person to help. Zantac and Immodium together? I know LS does that with one of her painkillers (pops it with an Immodium that is).

#182533 - 06/01/05 11:18 AM
jea97

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: Lindenwold, NJ USA

I agree as well. I have IBS-D and used to live off Tums. Although I used it to help stop the D (it tastes better than Immodium), I have acid reflux as well but haven't found anything that helps yet. Luckily I haven't had any problems recently.

Good Luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2713 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review