All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Always gotta go!
      #182073 - 05/30/05 05:56 PM
Tinkerbelle

Reged: 04/17/05
Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Anyone have the sensation that they always have to use the toliet? I don't always go when I feel like I have to, but I also feel like I could always go some more. It's an awful feeling because it makes me not want to go out much because I always feel like I have to poo! Even though it's thankfully not D, it almost feels like I'm not absorbing any of my food. Does anyone know about that, if you go to the bathroom a lot are you not absorbing your food, if it's not D?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Always gotta go! new
      #182079 - 05/30/05 06:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Tinkerbelle. Unfortunately, I also have that problem sometimes. I don't think it has anything to do with food absorbtion. Are you C, then? That's what I am most of the time, and I find it's when I'm pretty C that I usually get this feeling. This is only my theory, but I really think it has to do with retaining water in order for your body to moisten up the BMs that are sitting in there getting hard. That makes me feel like I have to use the toilet all the time, too, even though hardly anything comes out. Maybe someone else can enlgihten you more, that's just my experience.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#182080 - 05/30/05 06:31 PM
Tinkerbelle

I'm not C, I'm hardly a D, but I just have frequent bowel movements that are sometimes loose. I go to the bathroom 3-6 times a day and feel like I could go many many more!

#182128 - 05/31/05 08:01 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

Yeah, I have the same problem. My GI said that I shouldn't use the bathroom any longer than 5 minutes at a time, and after the 5 minutes I should stop even if I still feel that I should keep going unless there's still stuff coming out. Admittedly, I still have the need to go a lot in one day, but this might help the sensation.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

My doctor told me to sit on the pot for 30 minutes new
      #182131 - 05/31/05 08:06 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

at the same time every day, after a meal. So, I sit on the toilet after dinner for 30 minutes whether I need to go or not.

I've also read in books where this is recommended so that it tries to train the bowels that they will have that "set time" to work their magic every day, same time.

Sometimes I go, other times I don't. Sometimes I go right before the 30 minutes is up. If I had not sat for the entire 30 minutes, I would have lost out on that Bm!

Funny how different doctors have different approaches. Another frustration on conflicting treatments for this mysterious and aggravating condition.

Oh yeah, I too have this feeling of always needing to go. I can feel the stool sitting in me, but all I get is release of gas when I go to the bathroom. So, why won't the stool join the gas? Why won't it come out????? It's there, it just won't move!

#182179 - 05/31/05 09:30 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I think it has to do with stool formation, collection and water/fiber solidification and movement through the tract. You know, mopping and sweeping, forming the consistency of your bm. Lubricating,etc. Making a tube of cookie dough? A hunk of fudge? Hopefully, though, not cake mix. I know, I'm being absurdly gross. The muscles are are just working and pumping. Somedays, though, I feel like a dog!

#182236 - 05/31/05 12:31 PM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I have had that sensation for 2 years now.
I feel good for about 3 minutes after a BM (even a good bulky BM) then I feel like I have to go more. The feeling is especially strong about 1 hour after eating supper/lunch/breakfast.
I usually only have one BM a day, after breakfast.
I personally sit on the toilet for 5/10 minutes. If nothing is happening without pushing/straining I get up.
I don't know if this is a good timeline to follow by any means, but I can't just sit there because then I start to push and then I get upset because I can't go and I think I actually upset my insides more.
But I too always have that pressure/urge to pass a BM. ALot of times it is gas somwetimes it's not.
I have heard alot of people on this board comment that they get this urge also so we definately aren't alone.
Hope this helped.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Potty time! new
      #182294 - 05/31/05 03:02 PM
Kree

Quote:

I've also read in books where this is recommended so that it tries to train the bowels that they will have that "set time" to work their magic every day, same time.

It's funny you should mention that! I started working full-time after being a student for as long as I can remember, and it's been horrible trying to keep from getting C. I always followed a student's schedule and was able to get up, drink a warm beverage like soy coffee or tea, and use the toilet. My body is totally used to that and it works great. The unfortunate part is that now I don't have the luxury of doing that every day. I have to get up and jump right in the shower. Even if I have that warm beverage at the same time of morning, it doesn't work if I jump right in the shower instead of relaxing first. My body finally started going in the afternoon or after dinner occassionally, but it's been a real struggle. It's good to hear that someone else has found the same thing and it's not just me!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Potty time! new
      #182301 - 05/31/05 03:36 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

This happened to me too when my work scedule changed from starting at 1 pm to starting at 8am! I used to go in the morning after waking up slowly at about 9, drinking a hot cup of tea, eating breakfast at 10, then I'd "go".

Now, I jump up at 6:40am to a blasting alarm clock, I still drink my hot tea and try and sit on the pot, but NOTHING happens! It is so irritating. I've tried getting up early to have "potty time" but its useless. I think my body needs to stay in bed late in order to go. I read a post on Remedyfind.com in which the man said he absoulutely could not get out of bed until after 7am in order to have a BM.

I usually don't have BMs until the weekends now! By Friday the pain is unbareable!

I have been on this "new" schedule for 6 months now and my body has yet to reprogram itself! Will it ever happen? I'm seriously thinking about looking for a new job with hours more "bowel friendly" for me. How sad is that? But it would be worth it if my quality of life improved by having daily bowel movements. When I go into my next job interview and they ask me why I was interested in the position, I can say "because this job will allow me to have more regular bowel movements."

Bowels really do have a mind of their own. They are indeed the second brain. And they are stupid brains at that!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

It seems like most of you are Cs... new
      #182303 - 05/31/05 03:47 PM
Tinkerbelle

Are most of you that have the feeling of always having to go Cs? I am a D or a frequent pooer, which I already said... wondering if anyone else goes like 3-6 times a day?

Re: It seems like most of you are Cs... new
      #182360 - 05/31/05 06:52 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm a D, a frequent "pooper. I'm working hard at increasing my transit time a little. The six or so a day you mentioned is kind of "regular" for me. I'm eating more sf lately to minimize my trips. I just get so "full" so fast with sf. I find decreasing my fruit intake decreases my dumping and D.

#182363 - 05/31/05 07:04 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Yep-same problem here. I get up at 5:30 during the week and my body just isn't there. Sat and Sun when i sleep in past 6:30 I go tons for the whole week.

The whole thing is very frustrating. During the week I go a little every time I go to the bathroom and I always feel like I have to go.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#182364 - 05/31/05 07:18 PM
Kree

Wow, so it's not just me! I'm always afraid to make early morning plans on weekends because I need that time to keep myself regular. It stinks.

--------------------

That's normal for me! new
      #182407 - 06/01/05 03:52 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well, 2-4 times a day is. And that's me stable...tho I to try to get lots of fruit and veg now. When I had raging D when I was first diagnosed (I'm actually A) I was having an average of 15 BMs a day!

The thing with C is that it's often harder to control so the C people tend to post more, for longer. Immodium is a god-send!

#182600 - 06/01/05 01:26 PM
Silver

Reged: 10/22/04

i have about 1 to 6 bms, not really d or c. i will go and then 10 min later go again. its very frustrating when bathrooms arent always accesible. each time i have a bm i wonder...hmmm maybe i should wait to see if i will have to go again.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8155 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review