All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
continuing constipation even though I am on "the diet"
      #181958 - 05/30/05 07:01 AM
Robgrey

Reged: 04/19/05
Loc: Philadelphia, PA

I am looking for advice for those that suffer from constipation. I have been on the diet and taking Heather's supplement for about a month. I have received great relief from bloating, cramps and general discomfort. I feel much better; however, I am still experiencing constipation where I do not have a bowl movement every day, rather about every four days. I am not regular at all. My stools are very hard.
Any suggestions for me. I am so happy I found this way of eating to treat IBS, but I feel as if I need to do something else to help me become more regular. I don't want to take laxatives as I end up in the treacherous cylcle of
D/Constipation and back again. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Robin.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: continuing constipation even though I am on "the diet" new
      #181961 - 05/30/05 07:13 AM
jblake

Reged: 05/20/05
Loc: East Coast, USA

Try using Milk of Magnesia ( I find Phillips brand works best. I have to take between two and three tablespoons a night just to keep things moving. Start small and increase gradualyy untill you are satisfied. It is a natural laxative. Also drink lots of water, (which I am sure you are already doing). Hope this helps.

Question new
      #181970 - 05/30/05 08:31 AM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Have you tried Miralax? That's what I take everyday, in addition to my fiber intake. It's an osmotic that pulls more water into your intestines. It has helped me a lot. There are several of us IBS-C'rs taking Miralax. I've had IBS-C my whole life, & diet alone has NEVER solved my symptoms. My gastro doc prescribed it for me several years ago.

Milk of Magnesia every night is NOT safe new
      #181973 - 05/30/05 08:52 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Please do not take this advice. It causes cathartic colon and damage as well as building up a tolerance just like other laxatives.

#181979 - 05/30/05 09:16 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I am so glad the diet has helped you to feel better. I think the next step for you would be to add more insolubles back into your diet. Do it slowly, and make sure that you cook, peel, mash and puree. This should help the constipation. Also, drink TONS of water, and get frequent light exercise. Even 10 minute walks will help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Milk of Magnesia every night is NOT safe new
      #181987 - 05/30/05 09:45 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Milk of Magnesia is not a laxative. It's simply magnesium which doesn't get absorbed by your body which is why it is such a great stool softener.

Also, according to Heather in the research library, stimulant laxatives, like aloe, cause cathartic colon. She doesn't mention anything about non-stimulant laxatives. In fact, SFS are non-stimulant laxatives.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

For new D people new
      #182156 - 05/31/05 08:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not C and I don't know anything about Milk of Magnesia, so my dog's not in this fight.

For the sake of any new D people, I just want to expand on your statement that, "In fact, SFS are non-stimulant laxatives." SFS can act like non-stimulant laxatives for people who are C, but they do NOT act that way for people who are D. That's why SFS are good for both C and D.

In quick and dirty terms: in people who are C, SFS pull more water into the bowel contents; in people who are D, SFS sop up the water already there.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Thanks Sand for reminding people of this... new
      #182169 - 05/31/05 09:09 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

and summing up how an SFS works. If folks want more info, Heather also explains why SFS are not laxatives, both in her books and on this site in the section titled Soluble Fiber Supplements (link provided). . I'm also IBS-D and have had much success using a SFS.

I wonder if SFS are marked as laxatives for marketing purposes...?

#182245 - 05/31/05 12:55 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

You must make sure you are getting enough insoluble fiber. Have you tried whole-wheat bread? More fruits and veggies? Everyone has different triggers, so you'll have to find the stuff that loosens you up without giving you cramps or D. I'm partial to raw fruit (with peels), cooked veggies, and whole-wheat bread, but your mileage will most certainly vary.

Also, are you getting enough exercise and liquid each day? Those are also key ingredients for dealing with IBS-C. I always add in yoga twists as well to help keep things moving.

I have been C nearly all my life, but now I'm almost *never* that way. (Still get D and cramping under stress, but it takes more stress these days...) It was Heather's diet plus insolubles plus fluids plus exercise that did it, and it wasn't an overnight process. Have patience and experiment, and you too can "go" every single day!

--AC, regular for the first time ever!

#182296 - 05/31/05 03:09 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I would also warn you to be careful of M.O.M. I used to be able to use it pre-IBS, but now it gives me horrible cramps. Just something to beware.

I also wholeheartedly second the insoluble fiber part! When people first start this diet (myself included!) they tend to cut them out TOO much, but you need some of them, especially if your C and trying to stay regular. Just make sure you eat them with soluble fiber and chop/grind/puree them whenever possible!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#182354 - 05/31/05 06:39 PM
MJZ

Reged: 05/24/05

When you really started focusing on this,how long did it take. I've been trying REALLY hard for 2 months now and all I get is a bunch of gas and rabbit pellets. I can control the gas with some herbs until into the second week of constipation then it's hard to control so I do an enema and then feel like I blew the whole process. Am I just supposed to keep waiting it out??

I've been waitng for over a year now! new
      #182361 - 05/31/05 06:52 PM
Cyndy

I wish I knew how to manage the pain and constipation. I am tired of feeling so full of "crap" all the time.

Do you take arcacia or any supplements Astrochick or do you simply rely on insolubes, water, and exercise?

AstroChick??? new
      #193916 - 07/10/05 06:53 PM
Cyndy

Can you recommend a good whole wheat bread? I would like to try to eat it again, but can't find one that doesn't contain High Fructose or other bad stuff.

Do you eat the two pieces of whole wheat bread or do you eat white bread first and split up the sandwhich?

Have you ever had sprouted wheat bread or Ezekial Bread?

Thanks

Re: AstroChick??? new
      #194069 - 07/11/05 08:02 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

Can you recommend a good whole wheat bread? I would like to try to eat it again, but can't find one that doesn't contain High Fructose or other bad stuff.

Do you eat the two pieces of whole wheat bread or do you eat white bread first and split up the sandwhich?

Have you ever had sprouted wheat bread or Ezekial Bread?

Thanks

If you can get Natural Ovens stuff in your neck of the woods (it's from Wisconsin), try it! I love their 100% Whole Wheat Bread. I think you can also order their stuff on-line if you are interested.

As I said in another post, I stick with sourdough if I'm feeling particularly bad - otherwise I just eat what I feel like among sourdough, whole wheat, and rye. I must note, though, that I'm pretty insensitive to whole grains. My particular triggers are meat and fat.

I've never had Ezekiel or spouted wheat bread.

--AC

#194291 - 07/11/05 02:58 PM
oopsydaisy

Reged: 07/11/05

astrochick!

you really seem to know what you are doing and how to manage your IBS-C. i am the same and it seems as though i'm always constipated as well as bloated all the time. i take zelnorm, the recommended dosage which is twice a day, morning and evening but that doesn't seem to work. i just discovered Heather's site about 2 weeks ago and have been afraid to eat nothing but soluble fiber foods since then. what is an example of your diet on days during an attack? do you take those Tummy Peppermint caps? i don't mean to be bothersome of you but i would like your help and advice. this sucks!

thank you for your time,
megan

Thanks AC new
      #194309 - 07/11/05 04:29 PM
Cyndy

I would have to order the Natural Ovens, but that's not a big deal. I know people in Wisconsin who love the products.

One thing I'm still confused about, and please excuse my "dumbness" but do you usually split your sandwiches eating sourdough first and then the one piece of wheat. Then eat all sourdough if you are feeling D...and finally, eat only the wheat if you are particularly C?

Do I have it right yet?

If you can handle lots of grains, you might like the Ekezial Bread. It has 8 different grains in it, but it's too much for me...soy, millet, corn, wheat, oats, barley. and some others.

#194311 - 07/11/05 04:30 PM
AstroChick

Hi and thanks, Megan!

Well, it has taken me *years* to get totally stabilized, but every month was an improvement. I would definitely search on the site (not the boards) for Heather's newsletters and look at the two most recent ones about constipation. You can also search the boards for IBS-C, since we've been discussing that a lot lately.

First off, you *must* get insoluble fiber. You're going to stay bloated and C unless you do. I try to get some with every meal teamed up with soluble fiber, but you'll have to experiment and figure out what works for you. You gotta keep both the SF and the IF high.

Second, you gotta get fluids. There's been a lot of discussions on the boards about this and Heather discusses it in the newsletter.

Third, you have to get exercise. That's what gets things moving! Yoga twists are good for some immediate relief, but some sort of daily aerobic work really helps loads.

And there's plenty of other things you can play with to see how they work for you: hypnotherapy, magnesium, yoga, etc. etc. But the first three are absolutely crucial, and you will definitely see some improvement if you get those going.

(For more acute bloating/C, I crank up my fruits and veggies and maybe even stoop to caffeinated black tea or a little extra dark chocolate - but only with bread or some other SF. I do extra yoga and/or sit and relax with a cat or a heating pad on my belly. What I do *not* do is increase my fat intake or eat meat 'cause that will send me straight to D without passing GO. )

--AC

Re: Thanks AC new
      #194313 - 07/11/05 04:32 PM
AstroChick

I used to split them, but now I'm stable enough to just do the whole grain stuff by itself. I tend to go for sourdough first thing in the morning, just to let my body have a slow start on things. Just do what feels comfortable for you - you'll know when you're stable enough to experiment without freaking out.

--AC

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2523

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review