All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
What to do
      #181644 - 05/27/05 12:55 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Ugh we received a gift certificate to a steakhouse for our anniversary. I am rather pissy about it. Morton's . Of course it looks like there will nothing I can get. I suppose the lobster but I had rather not pay the price! I wish people would remember when you can't have red meat. I feel like no one ever considers me. If I was a strict vegetarian do you think they would acknowledge that? And when people totally disregard your dietary needs can you tell them so? I think we need a "dear Abby" kind of thing for that. "My in-laws never give any regard to my dietary restrictions, how may I talk to them about it?" signed Ungrateful in Minnesota.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to do new
      #181646 - 05/27/05 01:39 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It's a bummer, Min, but on the plus side, I've found that the side dishes at super swanky steak houses are usually pretty good. Can you eat cooked veggies? From the menu it looks like you could get a baked potato and lots of yummy steamed veggies. You'd just have to ask them to lay off the dairy. You could get some side dishes with an appetizer shrimp or lobster cocktail if you like those...

Oh, and I've been dragged to TONS of steak houses... it doesn't seem that people do care if you're a strict vegetarian.

Edited by chinagrl (05/27/05 01:39 PM)

#181647 - 05/27/05 01:39 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I understand your frustrations......

You could ask for one of these and ask them to put the sauce on the side (to not offend the chef) but not really eat it. Morton's will work with you......

Colossal Shrimp Alexander
Chicken Christopher, Garlic Beurre Blanc Sauce
Broiled Salmon Fillet, Chef's Sauce Beurre Blanc

And they have great baked potatoes!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#181648 - 05/27/05 01:41 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I'm sorry! That's really frustrating! I'd like to think that they're just a little "slow" and not doing it to be mean.

How about the chicken or the salmon, and just be careful with the sauce?

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#181649 - 05/27/05 01:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Unfortunately, not the best of choices, but I guess it's the thought that counts. (says my optimistic side )

Most steakhouses do have fish though, so maybe you could get grilled fish. That's what I usually get when I go to a steakhouse - grilled fish, no butter, minimal oil. With a plain baked potato (or rice if I'm lucky) and steamed veggies.

Or sell it to someone else that would go there and use the money to go somewhere YOU can go!

Vegitarian? new
      #181650 - 05/27/05 01:44 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

You're not a vegitarian, are you?

In which case *I'm* a little slow!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

#181659 - 05/27/05 02:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

Or sell it to someone else that would go there and use the money to go somewhere YOU can go!

Great suggestion, Melissa! I remember a letter to Miss Manners from a woman who was an animal rights activist and had gotten a fur coat from her mother-in-law for Christmas. She sold the coat and donated the proceeds to her favorite animal rescue foundation. I thought that was very clever.

Getting back to the original question:

Dear Ungrateful In Minnesota,

I'd probably go with the idea of selling it - or giving it away to someone else as a gift. I wouldn't volunteer that information to the givers, but if they ask about it, I think you could certainly explain the situation to them again. Perhaps the information will finally sink in.

If you feel you must use it, then you might consider having a couple of appetizers, along with a baked potato, as your entree. These look like they may be safe:

Smoked Pacific Salmon
Maine Lobster Cocktail
Jumbo Lump Crabmeat Cocktail
Colossal Shrimp Cocktail
Bluepoint Oysters on the Half Shell

You could also call Morton's, explain the situation, and see what they can do for you.

Oh, and Happy Anniversary!

Sincerely,
Dear Miss Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I wish I could sell it new
      #181696 - 05/27/05 05:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My husband would think and think correctly that I was being persuaded by my dislike for them. But as it is the gift certificate is for $50 and the average cost for 2 it says is $150! especially if I have to get lobster. And I might as well say right now, thanks to all for responses, but doesn't it just steam you that you should have to spend over a $100 to get a plain baked potato and fish and no alcohol? I am not complaining about my diet but the choices at some restaurants. Trendier places or Asian places have really yummy safe choices. I mean I just as soon eat at home than pay so much for plain food! I was thinking of anyone else I know that will need a gift soon and I could regift (frankly I think it was regifted once before as the card seems old my husband thought), but I can't come up with anyone. And the in-laws (brother and sister in law) always give us cheap and malapropos gifts that are usually regifted. Ok now I am just complaining! For their anniversary we are going out to a really nice seafood place called Oceanaire. Again it will be challenging as it always is to find safe things but not as challenging as Morton's (nor will it be as challenging to dine with them either-yikes! ). BTW I am not a vegetarian. On the other hand I would not wear fur either. LOL.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

e-bay! new
      #181728 - 05/27/05 09:58 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

People sell gift certificates on e-bay all the time. I wouldn't expect to actually get more than the $50, but it's worth a shot!

Re: I wish I could sell it new
      #181747 - 05/28/05 06:09 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Food, money, and in-laws - sounds like a deadly combination to me.

And, yes, it would steam me no end to spend $100 for a meal at a place I didn't want to go to. Not to mention the fact that the stress of thinking about how much it's going to cost me would probably send my IBS into hyperdrive. Maybe you could go in for a light lunch - just have an appetizer or two each and leave it at that? Surely that would come in under $50? Maybe?

However you decide to handle it, good luck. (Sorry, there's no emoticon for this.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2437 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5626

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review