All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
egg farts new
      #181719 - 05/27/05 08:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Eggs give DH and I notoriously bad smelling gas. But I have never noticed it from just eating whites. I rarely do though. On my trip I had whites every morning and had no gas whatsoever except right before and after a BM- but inoffensive. Otherwise I am not sure if whites ever cause smelly sulfurous gas. I just don't eat cooked whites or egg beaters enough. I do bake with them all the time though.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Wow, Sand new
      #181763 - 05/28/05 08:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The Board never ceases to amaze me. Posts I think will get zillions of responses get practically nothing and ones that look pretty humdrum all of a sudden take off. Cool.

I'm not sure who in this thread is responding to whom, agreeing with whom, or whatever at this point, so I'm just going to make some points in sort of chronological order. First, though, I want to emphasize that the passage I quoted from "The First Year" (page 26, box) refers to egg yolks only. As far as Heather's IBS diet is concerned, egg whites are fine. So,yes, Cyndy, I do interpret this to mean you can keep eating your egg white omelettes, subject to my point further down about sulphur.

The point of the quote is that IBSer's have trouble digesting the protein in egg yolks. I'm sure some people cannot digest the proteins found in egg whites either, but this is not an IBS issue. Maddening, yes; IBS, no.

Some people are allergic to eggs, just like some people are allergic to peanuts. Food allergies are not the same thing as IBS.

Exploding eggs. Thanks - this finally got me to look up why this happens, something I'd wondered about for years, but never investigated. This is what I found (From Microwave Answers):

Quote:

Why do eggs, potatoes, and other things explode in the microwave?
Microwave energy penetrates foods much more deeply than conventional heating does. The water molecules inside the food heat as quickly as those on the outside. And water expands when you heat it. Eggs, potatoes, and other things with shells or skins explode because the expanding water has nowhere to go.

I'm tempted to say we're safe from eggs exploding inside us because our bodies don't produce microwave energy. Given how little scientists understand IBS, though, I'm not sure that's a safe statement to make. So I'll just stick to recommending that you don't eat your eggs whole - and be sure to remove the shell.

Eggs and sulphur. I agree with Retrograde on this one: if you're really worried about sulphur from egg whites, try eliminating the egg whites and see what happens. Then add them back in and see what happens.

I did some poking around on the issue of eggs and smelly gas. If I'm understanding what I'm reading, proteins (like egg whites) produce relatively little gas compared to veggies, but they are more likely to produce sulphur, which is the smelly part. Veggies produce more gas because of their fiber, but it's less likely to smell because they don't contain sulphur. With sulphur-containing vegetables, you're getting a double whammy: lots of gas from the fiber and smell from the sulphur. Based on this, I'd say that if your gas is smelly, it might be the eggs, but if the problem is volume of gas, it probably isn't the eggs. I'm very shaky on this: there's a lot of contradiction or partial info or confusion out there on this. (Or maybe the confusion is all between keyboard and chair. )

Well, almost time for lunch. No eggs on the menu, thank goodness. I think I've had enough of them for a while.

Now, Rosie02, aren't you glad you asked?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (05/28/05 08:58 AM)

#181766 - 05/28/05 09:26 AM

Unregistered

Absolutely Sand. Like you, I was absolutely amazed at the way this topic took off - its the best response I have had on any of my posts. I am really trying to work out if I can still have hard boiled eggs in mayo as a sandwich filling. Guess I will need to try it and see.
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Judith
(rosie02 is my handle and also my 3 yr old grand-daughter!)

Re: Egg Whites/sulfur--YES! new
      #181774 - 05/28/05 01:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Egg whites do contain sulfur, i.e. sulfur containing amino acids. Note: sulfur containing amino acids are also naturally occurring in egg whites, meat, fish, milk. Even soy contains sulfur. Don't freak out, though. I think it's the degree or source of the sulfur. But note SOME PEOPLE are HYPER-SENSITIVE to sulfur, or specific sources of sulfur.

A silly side note: don't you love it how egg whites FOAM when you beat them? Add a little sodium bicarbonate(levening agent) or cream of tartar, and wow, do they ever get fluffy and attain new heights. Imagine that happening inside of a human body! Okay, I know...I'm not one to get cracking/pouring egg whites. PEOPLE smell--me included, it's part of being an organic being that consumes earthy, organic stuff! We sweat it, we fart it, we radiate it! Literally.

#181776 - 05/28/05 02:00 PM
Sand

Well, the short answer is what HanSolo said: On Heather's diet you can't have egg yolk. You could try making egg salad with just the boiled whites - maybe up the mustard a little - and egg-free mayo. Or you could take a look at this recipe and see what you think. There is also a discussion of light mayos in this recipe thread.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: odor reducers vs odor producers new
      #181777 - 05/28/05 02:06 PM
Sand

Sorry, Maria. I just read this carefully and realized you already said - and much more pithily - what I went out and researched about eggs being less gas, but smellier. That'll teach me to speed read.

If you find the list of odor reducers vs. odor producers, please do post it. I'd love to have it not only for myself but also for a friend (we're both in our early 50's) who said to me recently, "I'm not sure what's happening to my body, but I'm beginning to understand where the expression 'old fart' comes from."

--------------------

Not my fish too? new
      #181809 - 05/28/05 06:54 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I'm not sure if you are saying egg whites are okay because the sulfur is low or that, in your opinion, they are still gassy for some, but not all?

Our you suggesting that egg whites bloat up in our bodies, causing problems?

Well, I eat lots of fish too. Like, every other day. So, looks like I'm a double whammy here. That would only leave me eating chicken and turkey for protein. The majority of Heather's meal plans in her Eating for IBS board involve fish or chicken as the protein.

I'm just very confused right now. Sorry.

Re: Egg Whites/sulfur--YES! new
      #181810 - 05/28/05 07:04 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Kate,
I love how you phrase things. "We sweat it, we fart it, we radiate it!" Excellent and so very true! This is going down in my personal quote book.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3527 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review