All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I eat bread that contains whole eggs new
      #181692 - 05/27/05 04:56 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Agreed: eggs are major allergens. Perhaps the reason eggs cause so much difficulty with IBS, gas, bloating etc. is related to this fact: put one in the microwave and IT EXPLODES!!! So, it follows that an egg would explode in your pants, your gut, the human body. Also, eggs contain a lot of SULFUR--the stuff that's in garlic, onions, cabbage and cruciferous veggies that people with IBS tend to be hyper-sensitive too. Fat is another issue/trigger.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Is this true of egg whites too? new
      #181703 - 05/27/05 06:30 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Heather says these are safe. So would this info pertain to the egg whites or just the yolk?

I eat scrambled egg whites about 3 or 4 times a week!

Wow, Sand new
      #181704 - 05/27/05 06:37 PM
Cyndy

I've never seen that part of the explanation. I don't think it was in the Eating for IBS book, or else I didn't read it entirely just assuming it was the fat content.

The time I started extreme C was when I first started eating this bread with egg yolks! I only have a piece or 2 every other day. But maybe that's enough. I must do some experimenting for sure.

I eat egg white omelettes every other day. It seems from what Heather says, this would not cause the constipation. And I can keep eating the egg white omelettes. Is that how you would interpret this info?

Thanks so much for pointing this out to me!

No worries, egg whites are fine! (I eat them every day!) -nt- new
      #181705 - 05/27/05 06:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've never heard of eggs containing sulfur new
      #181706 - 05/27/05 06:39 PM
Cyndy

Heather lists egg whites as safe. I don't think she would say this if it contained sulfur. Or is the sulfur only in the yolks?

I don't know if it okay to eat my egg whites now.

Retrograde new
      #181708 - 05/27/05 06:47 PM
Cyndy

Did you read what Wind says about the sulfur in eggs though? That would make it seem like egg whites are not safe for people who have problems with sulfur foods, like onions, cabbage, crucifous veggies...which I definitely do!

I don't know if this pertains to the yolks or the whites too? I hope I don't have to give this food up too. But I am so gassy and crampy that maybe the egg whites are like onions in the sulfur aspect? Do you know about this?

Thanks

Re: Retrograde new
      #181713 - 05/27/05 07:10 PM
retrograde

OK, well I *do* know that the proteins thing - that's only for the egg YOLKS. The whites are still very high in protein but from what I understand they don't have the same fatty proteins as the yolks (similar to those in red meat and dairy).

Personally, I can't even touch broccoli or onions or any of the other sulpherous foods and egg whites have never, ever given me any problems - they are, in fact, one of my totally safe foods (with SF of course), probably my safest reliable protein. To be honest I've never heard of eggs being sulpherous - so hopefully Kate (Wind) can chime in and enlighten us. Either way though I know I've never had problems with them, and Heather recommends them too.

I just did a google and... new
      #181714 - 05/27/05 07:12 PM
Cyndy

it looks like egg whites do have sulfur? It said raw egg whites definitely cause wicked smelly gas!

And that most of the sulfur is in the egg white. I think that's what the results said,if I read the articles correctly. This is bad new for my diet.

Hmmm.... new
      #181716 - 05/27/05 07:21 PM
retrograde

Well, I guess you learn something new everyday!

Well, first - you're not eating them raw, right?

And second the fact that there's no IF in egg whites put them one up on broccoli. I know, as I said before, that I've never had problems with them AND that Heather cooks with and recommends them - but if you suspect that they may be causing you problems, you may be particularly sensitive to sulpherous foods...? Try cutting them out for a few days then adding them back in, and seeing how you react.

Re: odor reducers vs odor producers new
      #181717 - 05/27/05 07:32 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I think even though the egg white has sulfur-containing proteins, it doesn't produce as much gas as broccoli, beans, and other high IF foods. But it does make for much smellier farts! So, I think if you eat cooked egg whites in moderation, and you don't have an intolerance to them, you shouldn't have too much of a problem w/ gas.

Also, it helps to always have fennel or peppermint tea when you eat eggs. Drinking cranberry juice, which we can have on this diet, is a gas odor-REDUCER! Whee! Soy yogurt is another. I have a list somewhere of foods that produce or reduce odor. I'll try to find it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1555 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8844

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review