All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Went to a new GI today, Question, Maybe for Heather?
      #180220 - 05/19/05 09:11 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

I read in the First Year IBS Book about IBS-D and a connection to having your gallbladder out and that there is a med that can help. Anyway when I went to see this new GI today I showed him the artical and he said he was thinking that same thing. He said that it sounds like I have had IBS for awhile but taking my gallbladder out has made it worse. He gave me this med and also told me to continue on the IBS diet.

He pretty much said that even if this medication works I still have IBS and need to fallow the diet.

I am just wondering if this sounds right in Heather's book she says that I might have to take this medication for the rest of my life but I won't need that diet. So why is the doctor telling me I have both. I am so confused. Any help would be great.

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Went to a new GI today, Question, Maybe for Heather? new
      #180277 - 05/20/05 07:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm not sure about this, but I *think* the answer is that gallbladder issues are separate to IBS, but they impact on it (like with GERDs and other problems). So if you just have gallbladder issues, then you can have the surgery, take the meds and be fine. But if you have gallbladder issues AND IBS you'll need to do that AND follow the diet, take SFSs, etc.

Re: Went to a new GI today, Question, Maybe for Heather? new
      #180279 - 05/20/05 07:08 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm not Heather, but I'll give this a shot. I think if all your digestive problems are caused by having your gallbladder out, the medication will clear them up and you won't need the IBS diet. That's probably the situation Heather was discussing.

However, in your case, it sounds like your doctor thinks you have the problems caused by losing your gallbladder and you also have IBS. If that's the case, the medication will help with the gallbladder-related problems (if I remember correctly, that's the inability to digest fat properly, resulting in diarrhea), but it won't help with problems from IBS itself. So if you're IBS-D, taking the gallbladder med will probably make the D less of a problem, but won't clear it up completely - the IBS part of the D will still be there.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I knew someone who had their gallbladder out new
      #180300 - 05/20/05 08:28 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

and she had the D which med took care of. But, she still has GI issues besides this. I think Sand answered your question right on target.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4181 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 862

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review