Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A real pain in the butt!
      #179989 - 05/19/05 02:48 AM
Chubs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: London, UK

Hi Folks,

Its been sometime since Ive posted on here as my symptoms seemed to have reduced a lot (mainly explosive D!!!) However I havent been following Heathers diet. Recently my D seems to be creeping back.

My question is does anyone ever suffer from really sharp pains Im guessing in the rectum? I seem to get these quite regular and it makes me have to stand and take a moment to catch my breath it hurts that much. I wouldnt say I was constipated either.I can remember having these for years and just wondered is this IBS?????

I went to the Drs back end of last year and after some blood test was told I was probobly right and probobly had a BIT of IBS. Do you think I should go see someone else?

Many thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A real pain in the butt! new
      #180039 - 05/19/05 07:46 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Welcome to the boards! I hope you can find lots of helpful info here.
When you say you get sharp pains, I think I know what you are talking about but I am not sure... Does it feel like right in the lowest part of your abdomen? If so, I used to get those pains too! And HOLY MOLY were they painful!! One time, it got so bad that I ended up in the emergency room and even then I couldn't fix it! When I went onto the diet and got medications, this pain went away for the most part and I only had a few episodes of it after that.. but even they were at least 9 months ago.
If it hurts lower than that.. like it actually feels like it's inside your bottom , you might have a fissure or something. A rectal fissure is a tear in the rectum, I've had onna those too! Oy, that was really painful too! Lukcily, there are ways to treat them or at least help them. If you have been to the doctor, did he/she give you an exam 'down there'? If not, you might want to ask about it. They can be really, really painful but aren't anything really dangerous or anything.

I would definitely consider seeing another doctor. If the only test you've had done is a blood test, that is completely unsatisfactory. As there are so many conditions that mimick the symptoms of IBS, there are other tests that MUST be done to rule out anything else. If you are having pain and explosive D, I would say that if you do have IBS it's not just 'a bit of IBS' and that it needs to be addressed. You need to be assertive with your doctor in insisting that you condition is thoroughly investigated. Once you know what is wrong, it is a whole lot easier to begin dealing with it.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Question for Stephie... new
      #180077 - 05/19/05 10:20 AM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi Stephie,

I am suffering from a fissure as we speak. YOWZAA!! Very painful!! What did you do medically to treat the fissure. It seems that mine will get a little better and then I will have a little C or D and I am right back to square one.

Isn't IBS fun

--------------------
Dana

Re: Question for Stephie... new
      #180089 - 05/19/05 11:12 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya!

Youch, I definitely feel for you! What an awful, awful thing to have! My sister got one right after she delivered her daughter and she was like, "They couldn't put it in a worse place, could they?!" It's sort of funny, but oh so embarassing!!

Okay, well, when I went to see a doctor the first thing I got was a sort of hemmorhoid cream. It didn't do much, but it's worth a try. Then I got a cream that basically helped to numb the area because I was just in sooo much pain.
Okay, then this is sort of weird.. My doctor in the UK prescribed me this cream, but I never used it. It is used to treat angina(sp) but the one I got prescribed was far, far, FAR less strong. I guess the idea is that it relaxes the area and gives the fissure time to heal. Like I said, though, I never used it 'cause it freaked me out.

When I got back to Canada, I was in SO much pain with it that my doctor sent me to see a surgeon. The surgeon suggested that I either have the surgery they do for it (I can't remember the name) where the cut a small piece of the muscle inside so that it gives the fissure time to heal. The other option was Botox to freeze the muscle temporarily - I got Botox. Needle right in the bum. Not the most pleasant day of my life, but it seemed better as it would only last 3 months (hopefully long enough for the fissure to heal up) and then wear of, whereas the cutting is obviously permenant.
I found that the Botox worked alright, but I still obviously had the fissure. Over time, though, it got less and less painful and now it only really bothers me if I have a really bad attack.. and I think that might be more hemms than anything else.

Using baby wipes instead of toilet paper is much more soothing, and you can get those Tucks pads and things which are good. I was also advised to take lots of warm baths with epsom salts. Any hemmorhoidal cream might help as well with any discomfort and swelling.. I think usually the hemms and fissures go hand in hand.

Good luck!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#180091 - 05/19/05 11:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah I got that. The fissure pain was different...it's hard to explain how. But the fissure pain was worse if I had a BM or when I first got into a bath. The other pain was just random. My GI thought it was to do with the IBS...and it went away as I stabilised.

Re: Question for Stephie... new
      #180114 - 05/19/05 12:33 PM
DanaNoel

Thanks Steph for all of your advice. From what I have read, once you have a fissure, it is always going to be there to some degree. I know that you are a D and that has to be sooo irritating on it. I am an A and when I have D episodes, it burns sooooo bad as a result of the fissure and the hemms (ya - got those too).

Thanks again,

D

--------------------
Dana

#180147 - 05/19/05 02:52 PM
Phil-AZ

Reged: 04/16/05
Loc: Sunny AZ

Chubs, I believe I know what you are talking about, and experience it periodically myself. It is an excruciating pain that I have had hit me in the middle of the night, and usually goes away after about 15 minutes or so. Here is a description of the condition known as Proctalgia Fugax

--------------------
Phil

Ok, i recall having these too... new
      #180205 - 05/19/05 07:22 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but only at times where I was honest to God, so C that I had to help push from the outside to get my poop out of me. This has been my IBS C coping mechanism. I had always thought it was "sharp poop"...but hmm, it seems to be a medical term. Oh what fun our IBS is!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Dana...your baby is gorgeous! new
      #180206 - 05/19/05 07:28 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I'm thinking a girl, but I am always wrong..and my daughter SO looked like a boy...Anyhow, another note, I think I had fissures from delivery of kayleigh. Definitely had "grape-bum" for a while. that makes sense now why my D attacks are so bloody painful. My hemms are mostly gone, but i bet there was a tiny fissure in there. I mean, 2 hours of pushing has to mess SOMETHING up!!LOL!!
The thigs we do for you kids.... Yeah, when kay has her first, i'll be sure to have her know she gave me the lumps.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Dana...your baby is gorgeous! new
      #180211 - 05/19/05 07:50 PM
DanaNoel

That's so sweet. Thank you so much! Yes, you were correct - it's a girl, but she gets mistaken for a boy all the time. It doesn't help that she is built like my husband

Ya, I got hemms during pregnancy as well as IBS and the fissure a few months ago. I am still battling with them both as I can't seem to get out of this constipation/diarrhea cycle no matter what I do, but I'm still trying.

Oh yes, the things we sacrifice for our kids.....and the things that we will remind them about when they are older

Dana

--------------------
Dana

Re: Thankyou! new
      #180230 - 05/19/05 11:40 PM
Chubs

Reged: 12/01/04
Loc: London, UK

Thanks for the replies people.

Think Im going to make a new appointment.

Thanks again.

Chubs
x

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4990 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2189

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review