All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone caught in this type of cycle?
      #179954 - 05/18/05 06:08 PM
ArtKen

Reged: 07/12/03
Loc: Brantford, Ontario, Canada

have been dignosed with above condition some time ago, Also with a redundant colon. On occassion I get either a bit of constipation and then as I increase Metamucil it loosens but with some cramping at times.

I have to see to take immodium or Pepto Bismol & Tyelenol to ease the problem. I do have some lomotil but rather limited supply until I see family doctor next week.

Also with a redundant colon which I know means a longer and stiffer colon am I ritht to assume that this slows the process down.

I realize that some people will ask why take Metamucil one day and then counteract next time with Immodium. But I am trying to find a balance with the right amount of fibre but at same time control the other way if I have too many trips next day to toilet.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone caught in this type of cycle? new
      #179967 - 05/18/05 07:28 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you're saying but I'll give it shot... you mean that increasing the metamucil is causing D, and that you're trying to find a balance between taking immodium to stop the D and taking the enough metamucil to stop the C? Is that right?

If so, I really think you should consider switching to a new SFS. Did you know that BENEFIBER is now available in Canada? I saw some at Shopper's the other day. Maybe you could try that? Also, weren't you considering switching to the Prodiem fiber? Did you ever try that?

Also - is it possible that it's the other way around? Is it possible that you're maybe taking too much Immodium or Lotomil and this is making you C? I'm not sure if you're regularly D or C so...

I just don't think it's necessary to be taking supplements to ease the side effects of other supplements, know what I mean? So I would say look into switching to a new SFS. Metamucil is psyllium which a lot of people just naturally have problems with. Look for Benefiber, and as usual I highly recommend Heather's Acacia (though I know you had that problem with the post office).

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

#179975 - 05/18/05 08:39 PM
ArtKen

Thanks for reply. I will look for the benefibre locally or ask druggust if he can obtain.

According to advice received locally changing the dose of psyllium when constipated is not necessary the answer. I have to go with a steady dosage and still expect periods one way or the other. It is part of the nature of the diverticulosis.

#180018 - 05/19/05 07:10 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

benefiber is also at Walmart, I posted to Canadians when I first saw it there a few months ago.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#180108 - 05/19/05 12:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Psyllium is NOT a good SFS for A's. Try changing the SFS and cutting down on the Immodium.

Question for Linz... new
      #180117 - 05/19/05 12:36 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hiya Linz,

I am an A and am looking for the "perfect" SFS. I tried Citrucel and Benefiber with no luck. Even with LOTS of water, it just seemed to make me more C. I thought about trying psyllium (metamucil) because I heard that it is the best at keeping you regular but I am technically an A.

I was just wondering why psyllium was bad for us Aers.

Thanks in advance

--------------------
Dana

Re: Question for Linz... new
      #180118 - 05/19/05 12:38 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you're C almost all the time then it might help you. But as it's quite harsh, it CAN set off an A cycle, especially if you're D quite alot.

Re: Question for Linz... new
      #180119 - 05/19/05 12:40 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

Yikes!! Thanks so much.

--------------------
Dana

#180194 - 05/19/05 06:40 PM
ArtKen

Thanks, Linz, will have to try.

Hmm...I was gonna say-it works well for me, new
      #180204 - 05/19/05 07:17 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

but like I said, I only usually have D once every few weeks, and only with dairy. Evil evil cow juice!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 787 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review