All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tell me the truth...
      #179705 - 05/17/05 08:27 PM
Patricia Buzo

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: Minnesota

Please, tell me the truth. Is it possible to occasionally...like every six months or something...eat regualr pizza, or chocolate peanutbutter ice cream, or something "bad" for you? Please tell me yes. Please? I just would die if I could never eat that stuff again.
Did I say please?

Patty

--------------------
Patricia Buzo
IBS-C and Crohn's Disease

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tell me the truth... new
      #179711 - 05/17/05 08:52 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Oh, it's possible...not always a good idea, but that certainly doesn't mean that it hasn't been done.

As a positive note, having an attack doesn't do any physical harm to your body. So, if you choose to have a special food on a special occasion, and know that there is nothing important going on for the next few days, so you can just lie in bed with the hot water bottle and your mug of tea, then occasionally, you might choose to enjoy your "moment". Probably not often though....I find that feeling really truly good is addicting.

Also, over time, as you become more stable, your tolerance might go up for certain foods. Some people can start to handle vegetables they never could before. Other can handle higher fat content. Very few people ever can handle everything again though. Still have to be aware.

Also, one thing more thing to consider. Heather has an excellent line in her book...something like "Think substitution, not deprevation." Tonight, as a celebration for finishing two of my finals, and a research project, I had Pizza Hut pizza, and hot chocolate for dinner. Sure, it's not *healthy* per se, but I still enjoy my SAFE treats. I just ordered by pizza without cheese, and made my hot chocolate with soy milk. Totally safe, totally indulgent. And, if it's chocolate peanut butter ice cream you crave, try soy ice cream. Peanut Butter Zig Zag is excellent. Soy Dream also has some chocolate one with brownie bits that is quite good.

Have no fear, all is not lost. It's possible to follow the diet completely, feel good, and still eat almost any food you want. You just have to be a little more creative in the making, is all...

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#179714 - 05/17/05 08:58 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

AlyssaKaye has summed it up beautifully. It's like that old Spanish proverb: Take what you want, says God - and pay for it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#179750 - 05/18/05 06:07 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

LOL Sand! It is possible to cheat and get away with it but you have to do it carefully and not very often. Personally I would have D almost immediately if I had pizza, on the other hand I can have 4 bites of cheesecake after a safe meal and be ok. Try not to combine triggers too much with both dairy and fat or caffeine etc. Ice cream is not a necessary cheat because soy ice cream tastes so good. Soy Dream PB ice cream is awesome! But remember when cheating that you are the one that will pay the consequences and oh man! sometimes screwing up will put me in a bad streak for weeks and weeks. Because I am IBS A it is very difficult to get back into a stable condition if I really mess myself up.
You might find in 6 months when you are stable that you won't even want to eat anything bad. 1 or 2 bites might be enough! Honestly the cravings go away very well and that food becomes so taboo in your mind.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#179768 - 05/18/05 06:50 AM
Patricia Buzo

Well here's the thing. I have had Crohn's for over 10 years, but I've always been able to eat some "bad" foods inbetween fare ups, like cheese pizza for example. I'm not lactose intolorant although I avoid it whenever possible just to be safe. About four weeks ago I had a bad flare of IBS which in my case only lasts about a day or two followed by being tired for about a week after. Then I'm fine again. Well this time I never got better. So I went in for a CT scan to make sure it wasn't the Crohn's (I really thought it was) but it showed no inflamation. I've never had IBS so bad and for so long. I'm really depressed about it.What if this is forever? Really, I want someone to tell me it will go away like it has in the past.
Anyway, that's my reason for posting. I'm scared.

On another note....what is IBS A? What are the different types?
By the way I have Heathers book...great stuff.

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

Edited by Patricia Buzo (05/18/05 06:52 AM)

IBS-A new
      #179789 - 05/18/05 08:30 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

IBS-A is IBS that alternates between C and D.
IBS-C is constipation predominant
IBS-D is diarhea predominant.

Hope this helps!
I agree with what everyone else said about cheating, although if you have both Crohns and IBS (you poor, poor thing!!) then I am not sure if the same rules apply.. I just don't know enough about it to say for sure.

Take care of yourself, let us know how you're doing!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

When you're stable... new
      #179797 - 05/18/05 08:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...with the IBS you can get away with alot more! I'm really naughty now and have cheesy pizza about once a month...but as long as my diet is otherwise good then I get no repurcussions. Everyone's tolerances for individual foods is different tho...a salad would still kill me!

And the subsitution not deprivation idea makes all the other times a lot easier to cope with! If I go to a pizza restaurant I'll get a pizza without cheese cos then I can get lots of yummy toppings (my homemade pizzas never really worked ). And hubby and I eat loads of great, yummy AND healthy food all the time now thanks to this diet!

Extra special treats helps too...like with me, I know I can have a small piece of dark (bitter-sweet?) chocolate without issues, but I only buy the best chocolate so that tiny piece seems like a proper treat.

Anyway, just try and be really good until you get the new, raging IBS under control. Cheating before you're at all stable really does set you back. Get it under control and then play around!

Re: when I'm better new
      #179860 - 05/18/05 12:21 PM
Patricia Buzo

Thanks for the input guys. Until I feel better I wouldn't dream of trying any naughty foods. I can't eat much of anything at the moment without bloating. Even plain rice. But I'm hanging in there. I really don't get it. I was absoltely fine, that morning I went to the zoo with my daughter. But all of a sudden it hit me and hasn't gone away since. Really weird!
Thanks again to everyone and I'm so glad I found this message board!!

--------------------
Patricia Buzo

#179867 - 05/18/05 01:05 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

you can make pizza with soy cheese. theres a brand of vegetarian food called Amy's and she makes a cheeseless, non-dairy pizza w/only veggies. you could add your own soy cheese to that if you want. and there is also non-dairy ice cream or soy ice cream. theres a brand called OatsCream and another company called Temptation that has a lot of flavors ie: peach cobbler, mint-choc.chip, french vanilla, chocolate and i think green tea. something to try. you could search for it on google to find out which stores near you carry the product. good luck!

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#180315 - 05/20/05 09:01 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

When I am stable I can cheat without feeling it. Sometimes I will eat a slice or two of regular pizza once a week, usually on Friday. I also cheat with sweets and I can't seem to give up my one Dr. Pepper a day. Most of the time I feel good as long as I keep the cheats to a minimum but when I go overboard I feel it.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 462 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1068

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review