All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
9 weeks attack free!
      #179596 - 05/17/05 12:33 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I've been feeling a bit superstitious lately, so I was afraid to post the good news, but then I realized that I NEEDED to share in order to make sure I stick to the diet. Usually when I reach the six week mark of feeling relatively normal, I get over-confident and risky and eat something bad. It's been two months--I don't want to ruin this!

I'm IBS-D with pain as well as lactose intolerant. I was first diagnosed almost exactly 10 years ago! I've been following the IBS diet since Sept 04, when I found the book at our library, but I've been COMMITTED to it since Christmas Day '04, when I found the site and message boards. Between 12/25/04 and 2/28/05 I had three attacks which, because of food journaling and strictly following the IBS diet, I was able to trace back to casein as a trigger. Those three attacks were extremely mild compared to ones in the past, and I was able to recover from them quickly thanks to the diet and to the support of people on these boards.

As some of you may know, I've also been dealing with anxiety and panic disorders. I started Buspar near the end of February, which, together with the diet and using immodium as needed (usually as a preventative), has practically eliminated my abdominal pain and general anxiety. I was totally against taking medication, but now I wonder why? Sometimes you need a little help.

However, I'm still working on the panic attacks; they're getting to be fewer and fewer. I recently made a nine hour car trip and was away from home for 10 days in order to visit my amazingly strong grandfather, who's dying of cancer. I couldn't have imagined taking such a trip a couple of months ago...I'm glad I went. It was good to see my grandfather and remember how important family is (there was never less than 12 people at his house). My father (who I stayed with) and grandmother have known about my IBS for the last ten years and they always prepared something safe for me to eat whenever they cooked. My mother even asked for a list of what I couldn't eat! I did have a couple of panic attacks, but my doctor had given me some lorazepam just in case (which I used twice). My favorite cousin, who has overcome his own issues with anxiety and now plans on being a counselor, was really supportive. I'm a difficult person to take care of, so it was a big step for me to open up to him and ask for his help.

Anyway! Sorry for the chattiness, but I just wanted to thank Heather and everyone on the boards for their tips, suggestions, gentle reminders, and sharing their stories. You're all amazing and wonderful people! Even though I'm stable, I know that stability is an ongoing process not a cure--so I'm sticking around here! It's not that easy to get rid of me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Brava, Maria! -nt- new
      #179601 - 05/17/05 12:43 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Super Job! new
      #179616 - 05/17/05 02:47 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Maria,
I'm so happy to hear you're still doing well! Congratulations!

That's great that you were able to take the trip to see your grandfather. I'm sure it meant a lot to him, and the rest of the family, to see you. It's also nice that your family is being supportive. I know this would be SO MUCH HARDER without the help of my DH.

Keep up the good work! And do continue to share when you're doing well because it does inspire the rest of us.

Take care,
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: 9 weeks attack free! new
      #179629 - 05/17/05 03:36 PM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Maria,

Congratulations! You sound like you have a lot of the same issues as I do, so I was very interested in your post. Is buspar also an antidepressant? Have you had side effects form the medication? And also, have you gained weight while on the medication. I am seriously thinking about going that route, but I am afraid of drugs. I think maybe if I just tried it, I would be glad I did, like you. I truly hope your good streak continues!

Laura

Re: Brava, Maria! -nt- new
      #179635 - 05/17/05 04:05 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Thanks so much for sharing Maria, congratulations. I'm only on my first 3 days and you have so encouraged me to keep working toward healing.
I also have panic attacks but I'm not sure if it's the chicken or the egg for me. Do I have panic attacks because I ALWAYS had to be near a bathroom (IBS/D) or did I have D because I was panicking? All I know is I feel so much better than I did 3 days ago!

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#179641 - 05/17/05 04:32 PM
lalala

Laura-

I completely know what you mean! I was terrified of taking meds! The thought of relying on drugs made me more anxious. But I'm glad I followed my dr's advice because now that the anxiety is reduced I can think a little more clearly and make better decisions about my health. I've been on Buspar for about three months and the only side effect I experience now is some lightheadedness when I stand or get up from lying down. I haven't gained weight on it; I'm underweight so I wouldn't mind, but that hasn't been a side effect for me. Here are a couple of links where I describe my first few weeks on Buspar: Buspar Week 1 & 2, Buspar Week 4. I don't think Buspar is used as an AD, but it can be used in addition to SSRIs, I think, to make them work faster.

Thank you for your well-wishes! I hope you're able to find some relief. One thing to know about Buspar is that it can take two to four weeks to work, so if you and your GP decide you should go that route, hang in there! It took about a month before I really felt as though my anxiety had been reduced and I could go out to the store or have visitors over without worrying so much.

Maria

Re: Super Job! new
      #179643 - 05/17/05 04:38 PM
lalala

Myra--

Thank you! Sometimes I forget how important the support of friends and family can be. I feel pretty lucky. I hope I can keep up the streak, but I know that IBS can be unpredictable and an attack can happen out of nowhere! (But I'll try not to dwell on that! )

Best wishes,
Maria

Re: Thank you, Sand! -nt- new
      #179644 - 05/17/05 04:39 PM
lalala

The chicken or the egg new
      #179649 - 05/17/05 04:51 PM
lalala

Franny--

I don't know which came first either! But they're definitely connected. For me the anxiety or panic attacks either follow or come before the D. When I'm really anxious, even without the D, I feel it throughout my digestive system: nauseated, stomach cramps, and even more painful cramping in my lower abdominal region. With all the studies and articles here about the brain-gut connection, I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised when the reduction of my anxiety led to a reduction in the pain!

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better after only 3 days. "Healing" is a great way to think about it! Keep on healing!

Take care,
Maria

#179666 - 05/17/05 06:14 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

You're an inspiration, a model of IBS decorum and sanity! I'm happy that the Buspar is working with you. Like you, I am blessed with a supportive family. Isn't Lorazepam wonderful for those extra-especially anxious moments?!

Blessings, hugs and accolades,
Kate (Wind).

P.S. Acquire some "rescue remedy" essential oil and "lavender" oil for some self-aromatherapy/relaxation/aroma-tranquilization and give yourself a palm/foot/temple rub/job.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2350 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2997

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review