All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
This is gross!!
      #179565 - 05/17/05 09:41 AM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

This is going to get personal, but I need some advise. I have never had this happen before and if anyone can offer some advise as to what to do to help me out, I would appreciate it!! On Saturday, I had an edisode of D really really bad. I took a lomotal, and even that took 2 hours to kick in (norm takes 1/2 hour). Since then I haven't had a BM for 2 days - today is day 3. On Sat. I just had a cup of Chicken broth and some gatorade (before I knew of the HFCS). Sun. I had applesauce, plain potato and plain rice and only water and chomole (sp?) tea to drink. Then Mon. I had applesauce (bfast), 1 morning star sausage patty, 1/2 bagel, and a little bit of egg beater (lunch) and morning star corn dogs and plain potato(dinner) with a cup of peppermint tea. Today I have had nothing except peppermint tea. Now for the really gross part...I have been trying to have a BM today. I have really bad cramps every couple of min. All that is coming out is white jelly-like stuff. Is this normal?? I have never had this happen before. What can I do to feel better? Please help!!! I am miserable!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This is gross!! new
      #179568 - 05/17/05 09:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The white jelly thing happened to me over the holidays and it totally freaked me out, so I took myself off to the doc-in-the-box. It turned out I had an intestinal virus or bacteria. The white ick was mucus. (Oh, gross!) The doctor put me on Tylenol+Codeine. It took care of the cramps (which were incredibly painful) and it also made me C. This was fine with me, because prior to the mucus event, I had been having terrible D.

I hope this helps and I also hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#179569 - 05/17/05 09:51 AM
m_odonnell

It actually does help. This episode seems diff than the others. I talked to a doc on Sat because I was totally freaked out that the Lomotal didnt work. I was just trying to decide if I needed to call the doc now or if I am just being a baby! Thanks!

Mucous... new
      #179815 - 05/18/05 09:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...is a pretty common problem. Your GI tract produces an excess when it's cramping.

I'd stick to nothing but SF for a few days.

Re: Mucous... new
      #179822 - 05/18/05 09:36 AM
m_odonnell

That makes sense. I am going to try just eating SF for a few days. Anything to get this to go away. I hate this! It seems like no matter what I eat, as soon as it hits my tummy, I feel nauseated. Do you think it may be just because everything is all yucky right now?

Actually... new
      #179831 - 05/18/05 10:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...you may find that eating more often will help. And sugary foods are more helpful with nausea. Also. ginger is fantastic for it.

Gallbladder new
      #180469 - 05/21/05 07:48 AM
Sand

I was looking for something last night and ran across your first post in which you said you had your gall bladder out and ended up with IBS-D. Did your doctors consider the possibility that your problems are being caused by your gall bladder removal? In some people, that results in an inability to process fats properly which leads to diarrhea.

You can read what Heather has to say about it here.

I realize this is a long shot, but since you said you weren't super-impressed with your doctors, I thought I'd bring it up, just in case.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Gallbladder new
      #180473 - 05/21/05 08:46 AM
m_odonnell

While reading online some more, I came accross that same info...that it could be because I have no gallbladder. I used to be on medicine for it, cholestormine (sp?). I was still taking it when I had my first really bad episode of D, it lasted 2 weeks. So, I am unsure what is going on. Usually with gallbladder, the tummy aches go away, but the D stays. Maybe I have that in combination with bad acid in my tummy. All I know is I am miserable and I have to wait until Monday for the drs to even see me. I was actually thinking I should ask them to put me back on the gallbladder meds and give me Preacid again and maybe it will help. Before I had my first bad episode of D, I actidentally ate a pork chop that was undercooked, so maybe it was just a super long case of food poinsioning. I sure hope so. If this has all been brought on by my gallbladder (or lack of one...) then I sure do miss it. They say you dont need it, but I sure do disagree with that one...

#180480 - 05/21/05 10:13 AM
Sand

I'm sorry you're so miserable. Good luck with the doctors on Monday. I hope you can get this all sorted out soon.

--------------------

#180485 - 05/21/05 11:23 AM
tashablueyes

Reged: 05/03/05
Loc: Colorado, US

I dunno if I am happy or sad to be reading this... because I have the same problems, and it seems to me that having these symptoms due to gallbladder removal and not common IBS is sort of a permanent problem and can only be "band aided" and not really overcome.

#180488 - 05/21/05 11:30 AM
m_odonnell

tashablueyes email me at mrs_rpo@hotmail.com I would like to chat with you about being gall-bladder less

#180498 - 05/21/05 02:32 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Isn't mucus also a symptom of IBS? I think it's in the Rome II criteria. Doesn't seem to be very common though...

Oh, look at that... new
      #180504 - 05/21/05 03:04 PM
Sand

I checked and you're absolutely right, it is in the Rome II criteria. Under "Symptoms that Cumulatively Support the Diagnosis of IBS" Rome II says: "Passage of mucus".

I think you're right about it not being too common - or maybe people just don't like to talk about it. It certainly was not a usual occurrence for me - and still isn't - so it really worried me when it happened.

--------------------

Re: Oh, look at that... new
      #180507 - 05/21/05 03:27 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I checked and you're absolutely right, it is in the Rome II criteria. Under "Symptoms that Cumulatively Support the Diagnosis of IBS" Rome II says: "Passage of mucus".

I think you're right about it not being too common - or maybe people just don't like to talk about it. It certainly was not a usual occurrence for me - and still isn't - so it really worried me when it happened.

Passanie is right, it's common. It also will occur when there is consumption of dairy. Personally, I think the probiotics cleared mine up to stay.
I've had my gallbladder out and it never happened before or after having a gallbladder, but it did when I developed IBS. Kandee

--------------------

Re: Oh, look at that... new
      #180509 - 05/21/05 04:00 PM
m_odonnell

I have had mucus my whole life, even before the gall bladder. It was just really bad this time, and kindof freaked me out. Before I got prego with my son, I could count on one hand how many times I had D in my whole life. Then I had my gall-bladder taken out. The surgery wasn't a normal one, because I was hospitalized for 7 days with 3 diff surgeries. After that happened I still had the same symptoms as before the gall bladder was removed. My stomach was hurting and I was have D no matter what I ate. So, he put me on that Cholesramine (sp?) and the helped out so much...I could eat anything with no tummy ache or D at all. Then, a couple of months ago I started having C, followed by intense D and cramping (all in the same morning). I tried to take metamusal caps and got bloaded and more tummy-achy. Then I ate an undercooked pork chop (I guess that is something your never supposed to eat) and got what I thought was 2 weeks of food-poisioning. Also, the dr changed my birth control pills. I switched back to my normal birth control pills, because I though they were making me sick. One of the docs took me off my Cholesramine (she was stupid) and since then it seems every other week I have gotten D. I also have started to get horrible horrible heartburn and constant nausea. Could I have IBS-D with the added effect of no gall bladder? Or is it probably strickly the problem with bile in my tummy? I am so confused! I just want to know what is going on with me!!!

Sorry, Kandee, a little confused... new
      #180510 - 05/21/05 04:26 PM
Sand

Are you saying Passanie is right and it is NOT common or Passanie (and I) are wrong and it IS common?

If the latter, I guess I have just lucked out in not experiencing it before or since my intestinal upset last Christmas.

--------------------

I don't know about the white stuff... new
      #180526 - 05/21/05 05:44 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

but I do know that morningstar farms corn dogs have dairy in them in the form of nonfat dried milk (probably in the batter). I used to love those suckers but they do horrible things to my tummy so I stay away from them now.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Sorry, Kandee, a little confused... new
      #180532 - 05/21/05 07:54 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Are you saying Passanie is right and it is NOT common or Passanie (and I) are wrong and it IS common?

If the latter, I guess I have just lucked out in not experiencing it before or since my intestinal upset last Christmas.

What I'm saying is yes it is a symptom of IBS. Now whether it is common or not, I don't know...I haven't seen any stats on it, and I doubt a lot of patients would even admit it to a GI doc, unless it were on a questionnaire. I've heard of it more with "D's" but then I'm a "C" and I had it at the onset of IBS. Kandee

--------------------

#180590 - 05/22/05 08:01 AM
Sand

I hope your doctors can help you out on Monday. Here are some thoughts, in no particular order:

I don't know what kind of diagnostic tests you've had, but you might want to take a look at the diagnostic tests Heather recommends and discuss getting them done with your doctor.

Given that the pork chop was undercooked, you might also want to check with your doctor about the possibility of some type of parasite. My high school biology teacher was absolutely convinced that eating undercooked pork was just asking for trouble. That was 35 years ago and my impression is that things have improved as far as food safety, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about it.

Assuming for the moment that you don't have long-lasting food poisoning; you test negative for parasites; and any other of the Heather-recommended diagnostic tests you get done are going to come back negative, it sounds like there are three possible explanations for why you're so sick and miserable: digestive problems from losing your gall bladder; excess stomach acid; and IBS. One approach to discuss with your doctors would be to assume you have all three of them and treat accordingly: take the cholestyramine for the gall-bladder related bile problem; take Prevacid or something similar for the stomach acid; and follow Heather's diet strictly for the IBS. Once you start feeling better and have been stable for a while, you can try stopping the meds or the diet, one a time, and see how you do.

This is similar to the approach my pulmonologist is taking with me. Over a year ago I got a terrible respiratory virus that left me with a dreadful cough and wheeze. Over the course of several months, my pulmonologist tried every drug she could think of: antibiotics, prednisone, Advair, Flonase, Flovent, Protonix, Claritin - all one or two at a time. Some did nothing; some helped for a while, but I soon relapsed. Finally, a few months ago, she put me on all of them at once. The antibiotics and prednisone were short term, of course, but she kept me on everything else. Sure enough, I got better and now that I've been stable for a while, she's taking me off the other drugs one at a time and watching me to be sure I don't relapse. Maybe this approach would work for you, too.

Perhaps this is all just too much for your system all at once and if you can get it leveled off, you might not need the meds. When I lost my gall bladder years ago, I didn't have a lot of problems, but foods that were high in both fat and dairy made me feel awful - nauseous and like the food wasn't digesting. I never took any meds for it, but gradually - it took more than a year - my ability to eat whatever I wanted without problems returned. It was like my body had to figure out how to cope with its new configuration. Maybe that will be the case for you, too.

I hope some of this helps. I can only imagine how frustrating - and maybe a little scary - it must be to feel so miserable when you want and need to give your time and attention to your baby - not mention wanting to feel well enough to just enjoy him. I hope you and your doctors can start getting you sorted out on Monday. Good luck.

--------------------

#180604 - 05/22/05 09:21 AM
m_odonnell

Thank you so much for your help. I was actually thinking the same thing about trying all treatment. The base drs sent me to Urgent care Weds because they knew they wouldn't be able to see me (they suck) and the dr there ordered a stool sample to check for parasites. My drs nurse tried to get the results from it on Thure, but they hadn't processed them yet. She said she would try her hardest to check up on them. My only concern with IBS, is that I don't seem to have much of a reaction to the same kind of foods as IBS-sufferers do (with the exception of milk). Also, the diet to eat when you are having a bad episode absolutly has not worked on me. I have not been able to eat anything for almost a week now. I have never been so anxious to get to a doc as I am now. Today alone, I've 6-7 episodes of D. I am trying so hard to keep hydrated through all of this. I got dehydrated from this ONCE and that was all I needed to convince me to make sure to always drink my water. I am not in as much pain, because when I was at the Urgent Care place, they gave me Dicyclomine to stop most of the cramps. I have been taking 4 of them a day - which is the most I have ever had to take! So, I guess there is a silver lining...other than losing lots of weight. Anyway...I babble...the meds...thank you for your opinions. Hopefully this new doc will be better.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3425

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review