All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: How do you cook with fennel seed? new
      #179857 - 05/18/05 12:17 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh fennel powder you can do anything with. It's yummy. Use it where you'd use cumin or dill or anything like that.

For fennel seeds, you can eat those too in most any food. It's really good with fish, cooked veggies and in Italian-like sauces, mustards, and other dishes. You can grind it yourself as some people have mentioned in a mortar and pestle. Or you can blend them in the blender or food processor (with a bit of water, you can also add nuts and that makes a yummy paste).

To be honest I've never cooked with the seeds whole but I do know that many Italian sausage recipes call for them whole (if you've ever had Italian sausage, back in the pre-IBS days maybe, fennel is what gives most Italian sausage its distinctive taste). I'm not sure how else you would use them - in turkey meatloaf or meatballs maybe? Maybe in casseroles and such as well.

I *think* you can chew on the seeds too though, so there ya go If you're using it whole just add it to the food while it's cooking so that the flavour will get cooked in. You can eat them whole though - I bought my first fennel in the spice aisle!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: More thoughts on fennel new
      #206180 - 08/17/05 11:24 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

glad to have found this. One question though, does it hurt to swallow the hulls? I would assume no...but... Never hurts to ask.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Garlic Press new
      #206298 - 08/17/05 08:28 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I mash my fennel seeds in a garlic press(not one I use for garlic) and it works great. I found Heather's fennel was much cheaper than the store spice bottle size.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3552

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review