All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Curious about GERD, Linz or someone?
      #179536 - 05/17/05 07:04 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I finally made a GP appointment to get my acid reflux taken care of. I have had it since before my IBS, or around the same time, I think, about four years now.

Is GERD the same thing as acid reflux? Are there any meds I should get my doc to steer clear of? (one's that cause bad IBS side effects). Will I need to change to a low acid diet, even if I am on meds? I already have so many restrictions it seems, having IBS and being strict vegetarian. I was also considering going sugar free soon, but I don't know if I could give up my lunas!

Any basic info would be appreciated, I am kinda wary about being diagnosed with something else, even though I know ther is something wrong with me, I can barely go a day without the 'throw up' sliding up and down my throat.

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Curious about GERD, Linz or someone? new
      #179540 - 05/17/05 07:33 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, reflux is pretty much the same thing as gerd. I also have issues with it. I was originally on Previcid, which is one of the stronger ones and it did cause some D (I'm usually C!) when I was taking two a day. When I went down to one a day, I was fine. I've since switched to an even milder one, a very low dose of pepcid and that seems to control my issues mostly. If I eat a big plate of spaghetti with red sauce late at night, sometimes I'll have a bit of reflux but its only when I over do things or lay down right after eating a big meal!

I would be sure to tell the dr you have IBS and start off on a lower dose first, you can always increase the dose if it isn't working!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#179545 - 05/17/05 07:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I think they just call it GERDs if it's more of a long-term problem - most people get acid refluz at some time.

I agree with Michele...start on a low dose of a PPI (proton pump inhibitor and see how you go). I was on a low daily dose of lansoprazole (prevacid) and did fine.

#179551 - 05/17/05 08:20 AM
DeeSingleton

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Indiana, USA

Just my opinion, but I have taken both Prevacid and Nexium for GERDS. I thought Prevacid worked better, but thats just me!

And, Linz was really helpful with my questions about GERDS!

Everyone is different.. new
      #179558 - 05/17/05 08:50 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

I have GERDS and I took prevacid and it didn't touch my symptoms but Nexium is my miracle pill. I still get mild reflux if I eat something high in acid though but the daily discomfort is gone. I have a hiatal hernia which causes my GERDS and I will always have to take something but some people only have it for a period of time and then it goes away.

Good Luck,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

hugs, I'm there with you. new
      #179630 - 05/17/05 03:42 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I have to stick to a low acid diet-even OJ kills me. I can imagine being a veg it's super hard as is. I know the throwup feeling. i call it the visiting of my supper. I'vce had it for years. I was just diagnosed in March.

You ahve to be so careful with GERD because it can lead to cancer and ulcers. We don't want that happenin, hon!

I found that penicillin is SUPER aggravating to my GERD. Oh, and the occasional yeast infection Diflucan pill is h-e-double-hockeysticks.

e-amil me if you need someone to vent to!
shan_the_webb @ yahoo.ca

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Everyone is different.. new
      #179631 - 05/17/05 03:53 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I take Prevacid 15mg and Hyoscyamine.375mg. They worked for about a year but when they try to increase the dosage I too get D. I still take them with Heather's diet, hopefully I'll eventually be able to get off some of the meds. Another thing I can't take at all without D is any form of cholesterol medications. Even Smart Balance margarine gives me D, weird?

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 973

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review